Let's see....when Pastor Jeff, Pastor Chris, Wyatt, Isaac, Owen, Mr. L., Mrs. L., Brianne, Mr. Lav, Randy, Jason, Shifty, Grace, Billy, Ben, Tom, Mr. D., Ethan, Mr. Sa., Esther, Emily, Mrs. T., Amber, Garrity, Mom, Dad, and myself were ready to go, it was about noon. Yes, it was a lot of people to round up into vans, but we actually managed it! So, we left our house (which was the rendezvous point) and headed for Soldier's Cap. The drive took about, oh, I would say, a hour or so. The drive was a nice one; we saw a lot of cattle on the open range.
Well, we made it to the mountain, got some rules of instruction, and then we hit the "trail." Actually, there wasn't a trail; you had to find it for yourself. Now, I had been told that it was a relatively easy hike about a mile long. Uh..that wasn't so. Maybe it is because I am not an athlete, but it wasn't easy to me. However, I did not give up. I did have to pray for the strength to make the next step, but God is so good! The ascent to the cap took quite a bit of time, but it wasn't without its beauties.
As I was climbing, I was told to get down. I watched as nine wild horses galloped across the ridge with the stallion behind them protecting them. It was sooo cool. It was a sight that I never expected to see. Even though I had a way to go, this sight made it worth the while.
Well, I made it to the top. (After some directions from the guys on how to get to the top safely.) It was a great view. I will admit, I didn't stay up long. No, I don't have a fear of heights. However, it was a cloudy day, and the sky looked like rain. We wanted to get down before the skies opened up! I don't think I got a picture from the top, but I do know plenty of them did. (Perhaps they could send me some?!) However, I did leave Soldier's Cap with a scriptural lesson that I intend to post on another day. I want ya'll to be able to enjoy something separate from this.
Going down is MUCH easier than going up; it took far less time and energy! Once everyone had been checked for ticks (yuck), we got together to take a group picture. However, someone was missing. No one knew where Tom was. Some thought he was relieving himself behind sagebrush, but when the guys tried to find him, on one could. We checked the vans, and he wasn't found there, either. So, we all assumed he was missing. First, all of the dads went looking, only to come back abd get all the boys to join in the search.
It was really scary. You hear about this on the news, but when it is someone you know..... We prayed and prayed, but we were still nervous. Pastor Chris had a call into Search and Rescue, but we really didn't want things to go there. Praise the Lord that after a two hour long search, Tom was found safe and sound!!! Apparently, he didn't make it down from Soldier's Cap, and none of us noticed. That was a bad oversight on our part! However, we all were reunited and a group picture was finally taken. (Again, I need to get it from one of the others!)
Saturday was a time of lessons. The one I told you about taught me that buddy systems are good, and that God holds us in the palm of his hand! The second lesson I have yet to tell you about....but I will. God is good!!











6 comments:
The horse pictures were beautiful! I'm glad you had a wonderful time, and praise God that you were able to find the missing member of your group!
Yes, I've hiked up some mountains, and getting to the top can be grueling! The only hard thing about going down is not falling and slipping; other than that, it's a lot easier!
I look forward to your post about the other lesson you learned! =)
Although I didn't make it to the top, I feel good about my reasons for staying behind. And I sure enjoyed the opportunity to see those wild horses. They are so beautiful!!
Anna and Mom, I am glad you liked the pictures! I was blessed to see them!
Anna, I only fear slipping going down. It takes far less energy, you are right.
The otehr lesson that God tuaght you was... to bring leash for your kids? :P
The hike was fun and I am glad all of my planning had a good outcome... well... mostly.
I have to admit though that I was not all that scared for Tom until I got up to the top. The other side of Soldier Cap is literally straight down. I am certainly glad he went the way he did ratehr then go to the backside. For a second I was afraid I would find my brothers crumpled bpdy lying somewhere. SCARY!
Wow! It sounds as if you had a fun day!
I think something is wrong with either your or my e-mail. Have you been getting the e-mails I send to you? I sent you a long one last week, then one the day before yesterday, then I resent them both yesterday.
Shifty, I was scared about Tom for you!
Alice, I got your e-mails. I had the one already, but I got the one yesterday. I will e-mail you soon, but I will be praying for you now!
Post a Comment