Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Different Friends, Wonderful Friends

Each and every morning, as I take my shower and prepare for my day, I spend time praying to the Lord. Okay, praying in the shower might seem weird--but it works for me. There are things I pray for each and every day: my family, my health, my future husband, my country--and my friends. Today, however, I found myself thanking Him that I have such different friendships with each of them.

If everyone had the exact same personality, life would be very boring. The same logic applies to friendships. If each of my friends had the same characteristics, the same interests, there would be nothing to set them apart. Just look at how God has made my friends:

Anna, Miriam, and Jen are my "Sisters of the Heart" For over a year (officially) we have been prayer warriors. They are some of the few who know the inner workings of my life. I can share my heart with them.....yet in this relationship, my individual friendships with each of them are vastly different.
*Anna is my "heart to heart" buddy. Though the others and I are like this as well, it is this characteristic that dominates Anna's and my relationship.
*Miriam is my "music" buddy. She and I both play the piano, so we are constantly talking about our favorite genres of music, what piece we are currently playing, which composer gives us a headache
*Jen is my "political" buddy....I don't know where I would have been during the election season if I didn't have someone to commiserate with =) Every conversation finds politics being brought up and a goal this year (or most definitely next year) is to go on a campaign trip with one another.

Alice is a friendship much like Anna. The Lord brought Alice into my life when I needed it the most; she has been one that I have shared a lot of my struggles with, and she has done the same with me. Now I am getting to watch her get married (well, not exactly, as I can't go to NY)

Erin is an example of what God does when he mends something that was broken--He restores it to something even better. Y'all might remember that Erin and I did ModesTeen together. Well, things happened, and our friendship hit a rough patch--but God worked mightily--and it is wonderful. If I had to define it by one word, Erin is my "life" buddy. We talk about daily life (and how we both can struggle finding clothes that are our size =)

Meghan is my movie buddy--and the one who I talk to one the phone. When she and I get on, we spend over an hour talking, with old classic movies being the main topic. I can mention a movie like, say, West Point Story, and she knows what I am talking about.

Then there are the friendships that God is beginning and aren't as strong yet--ones like Sara, Neesie, and Jasmine. These ones, and yet so are the others, are dictated by His control. They will come and go as He sees fit and only then.

I have been in a place of having no friends....and I hope I will never be there again. But that experience reminds me of how thankful I should be to Him for His wonderful gifts. My wonderfully different friendships are just one of those things that He has given me all because of His Grace. I do not deserve it in the least.

6 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

Aw, Gabrielle, I am so blessed to have a friend in you! It has been fun to get to know you more, and I look forward to our relationship deepening and growing in the years ahead.

Isn't it fun how God gives us different kinds of friends? It makes life so wonderfully interesting!

Jenna said...

Great post Ella! Friendships are so special...what a gift from God:)

Sola Fide,
Jenna

p.s. I don't think praying in the shower is silly...I do that sometimes, but mostly I pray while I'm milking goats!

Neesie said...

This was so sweet Ella! I thank God that He has given you friends such as the ones you have mentioned and that you and I have started getting to know each other better too! I hope and pray that over the next few years we can really become close. :-)

Sara said...

What a sweet post Ella! I'm so grateful that I have been able to get to know you better through email and blogging-you are a blessing to me. And I know, I am VERY overdue in writing an email to you. But I'm going to get on that right away (and I mean it!).

Hugs,
Sara

Alice said...

God bless you, Ella! I'm grateful for your friendship, as well!

The Patriot said...

Look! I FINALLY read it! ;) (Curse dial up!)

I'm so thankful to be your "political buddy" Gabrielle. It's fun! I love your energy and passion. You will make an excellent campaign volunteer! Can't wait! :)