Monday, November 02, 2009

The Reading List For September and October

Since we are on the topic of books, I thought it was high time that posted my reading list. Now, you will discover one common thread through each and every book--they are all fiction.

I try to make it habit of reading all different varieties of literature. But lately, I haven't been "in the mood" to read something very heavy. Plus, I thought I was going to be going away this past week; consequently, I didn't want a huge book to take up my time. I should just stop making excuses and let myself off the hook. It is okay to read fiction, after all!

First Impressions, by Debra White Smith--Back in September (which for some reason feels like an eternity ago) I read this spoof of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I know everyone likes that novel of Austen's the best, and I am no exception, so let me say it is hard to read something not quite like my favorite. However, I did enjoy the book immensely; it isn't hard to read anything Austenesque. The only issue was that since it is more modern, Wickam and Lydia have more modern behavior =)


When Joy Came to Stay, by Karen Kingsbury--For me, I am hard pressed to determine which Christian fiction writer I prefer--Karen Kingsbury or Brock and Bodie Thoene......anyway....this book was very, very good, though I was wrong to expect it to be a light hearted read. It wasn't. It was the story of a woman who was battling clincal depression, all because of a secret buried in her past. She has had to be something that she is not, as she felt her Christian brothers and sisters (husband included) would judge her. It was a very engaging story, but I don't want to give every plot line away.

Duncan's War, by Douglas Bond--I read this book with Mom and Garrett several years ago and decided to pull it out again. Since most of you are probably familiar with the Vision Forum catalog, you are undoubtedly familiar with the book. It is the first book in the Crown and Covenant Series; it is of a Prebyterian family living in Scotland, yet they are presecuted by the King of England.

The Sunning, The Confession, The Reckoning, by Beverly Lewis--This is one of the series that I read in the past two months. For years, I saw these books on our bookshelf, but of course, I was too young to read them. Then, I always meant to, but something else was usually on my bedside table. Finally, I decided to read them. Amish books are not ones that I usually read (mostly because I have gotten turned off to them based on how every single book seems so familiar to the next one) But since I do consider Beverley Lewis to have "dibs" on the Amish market, I gave these ones a try........it is the story of Katie Lapp, who has always had a yearning for English things and her discovery that her roots weren't always Amish.....I have to admit, the Old Order Amish kind of unnerved me some, but at the same time, it did make me want to do some more studying into the topic. All in all, I am glad to have read it.

Against All Odds, by Irene Hannon--I don't know what it is, but I have thing for the F.B.I. lately (don't I, Meghan and Sara? =) I positively LOVED this book. Now, if a good looking guy who has to save a dignitary's daughter from terrorists who threaten to kill her and four additional hostages unless their demands are met isn't your thing.....I don't advise you reading it. But, if you do like romance, suspense, global intrigue, a plot line that could be ripped from today's headlines, and a coming to faith....pick this one up!

Redemption, Remember, Return, Reunion, Rejoice, Fame, and Family, all by Karen Kingsbury--Okay, so this was the series I was talling y'all about a few days ago. Currently I am on book eight out of fourteen in this "collection" that is meant to be read from one series to another. They are very, very good reads. You are swept into the characters and you know them as well as you ever could. Now, I wouldn't say they are necessarily for younger readers; there is a lot of mature subject material. (Like a woman dealing with a cheating spouse, a daughter who has had a child out of wedlock, a son who because of current events turns his back, briefly, on his faith and his convictions, someone dealing with drug addiction, a secret that no one knows about, etc.) You are probably like, Ella, why are you reading these preverted books? I will say this--if you want something perfect, you won't be reading anything, even the Bible. Plus, in all of these bad situations, the purpose is to bring the characters back to Christ, showing that he is the only way......and it certainly ends up bringing him the glory. As with every story, there are characters I prefer, storylines I enjoy more than others, but right now, I am not ready to finish these.

Whew! That could have been longer (if I had done every book from every series in its own paragraph) but I don't think you would have wanted to be around that long!

3 comments:

Patti said...

You read more books in two months than I would have read in 2 years!!!

And, you're right...it's NOT wrong to read fiction. For many years, some legalistic teaching had convinced us that fiction was simply a waste of time and something we shouldn't bother with.
Now, though, I LOVE a good novel....I just don't have much opportunity to read.

Love,
Mom

Neesie said...

You remidn me of Bev...in every corner fo her hosue she has a book. Wherever she happens to be she will just pick up the book nearest her and read it for a while. :-)

Speaking of fiction, I'm reading The Scarlet Letter right now. I kno it isn't "new" fiction, but it is sooooo deep and dark. Honestly the writers of old are so amazing in the way they had with words.

Sara said...

Oh Ella, you will LOVE this new version of Emma! I really like the Gwyneth Paltrow version too, but I think Romola Garai and the other actor who plays Knightly are even better. And the scenery and music is so lovely. I'm still watching the series, but it's already my favorite so far.