Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Smaller Blessings are Still Blessings


It is much easier to view life with a "glass half empty" type of mentality. We live in a self-centered, "keeping up with the Jones's", materialistic society. And if I am honest, I can dwell on all the things that I want......and they are usually things that I don't have. What inevitably follows is the feeling sorry for yourself....oh yeah, I mean, myself.

But a few things have happened in the past two weeks that have made me realize just how blessed my life is. I might not have taken my dream trip to Washington D.C. yet; New York City hasn't been graced with my presences. I have never been on a cruise ship; I don't shop in designer stores. On more personal notes--my family hasn't adopted yet. Dad's job is less than what he would hope for. Any hopes to move closer to family back East don't seem to be availing much.

All that might seem like I have a laundry list of desires unfulfilled. But here is a list of the things I do have:

* I have a home to call my own--unlike a lot of people who are losing theirs.

* My dad isn't part of that unemployed statistic; he does have a job he goes to Monday through Friday

* My family is alive and well, functional and intact.

* I have friends who care about me. Friends who are so vastly different from each other, yet they all fill a certain area in my life
* There is still hope for my family to adopt

* And most important, I have a Loving Father who has showered me with new knowledge of His grace, His mercy, and His strength.

It might not seem like much. And don't get me wrong, I long for some of those unrequited dreams. But you know what, I am blessed in so many ways this year--I just have to focus on seeing my glass as half-full. I urge you to as well.

If I don't write before then--Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

5 comments:

Sara said...

This is such a sweet "thankful" list Ella--I'm very thankful that I've been able to get to know you better over this past year.

Patti said...

Add to that list that we live in a country where we are not beaten up, jailed, or killed for our beliefs. One look around the globe tells us that millions of others don't enjoy that blessing. May we never take that for granted, especially when we consider that those Pilgrims, whom we remember at Thanksgiving, came to the new world for that very reason.

Love,
Mom

Anna Naomi said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Ella! It's good to read about the things you're thankful for. I'm thankful for you!

Anonymous said...

Amazing post! Its so great to be thankful.

Many blessings,
Maggie
www.behindtheteenscene.blogspot.com
~Be sure to check out the giveaway at my blog~

Neesie said...

Just beautiful Ella! I'm so thankful for your friendship. Maybe one day in the not so far future we can take the D.C./New York trip together. :-)