Friday, November 13, 2009

Working in a Laboratory!

Do you have a place where you can "call home?" A place where you get to create and dissect? A place where, when the day is done, you have an amazing finished product?



You might laugh, but I have come to view my kitchen as my laboratory. Yep. Instead of protective gear, I have an apron. My manuals are recipe books. My equipment can consist of electrical mixers, measuring cups and spoons, and of course......food.



It is a place where I discover trial and error. Like, I have determined that a BOSCH mixer isn't my mixer of choice (I will hold out for a KitchenAid for a bridal shower gift =) I have discovered it isn't easy to make yeasty breads when the kitchen is cold (things don't rise) And I have found out which recipes work (like this one) and which ones have flopped miserably (so don't make this one; take my word for it)

Working in the kitchen is so homey to me. I have begun to say that no recipe is off limits--well, that's not true. I have to deal with my Mom's grocery budget =) But anyway, I always see a recipe in one of my countless cookbooks, or in one of my five food magazines, or something off of Food Network that catches my eye, and I want to try it. And when all is said and done, I feel like I have cultivated something worthwhile.

Everyone's laboratory is different; I have discovered that. I have friends whose "second home" is in the front of the sewing machine. Some friends love nothing more than to sit with a crochet hook in one hand and a ball of yarn in another. Some use a camera and all of nature is their laboratory........For a long time, I despaired that I couldn't do all of these things.....and I thought something was wrong with me since I didn't want to.

But we are all different people, people with unique God-given talents and likes/dislikes. Some might not understand why I love the kitchen so much--and that's okay. So, tell me: where is your laboratory?

14 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

Good post! I like your analogies. =)

Like you, my "laboratory" could be the kitchen, although I probably don't try new recipes as much as you do. I enjoy doing so, but like sticking with the tried and true - and often that's all I have time to do. It could be my sewing corner, although I really haven't done much sewing lately...

Elisa said...

When I make bread I turn the oven to warm then once it is warm enough I turn it back off a let my bread rise in there. It rises faster that way too.

Elisa Gardner

Patti said...

As with you, my laboratory could be the kitchen. I LOVE trying new recipes.

Also, though, my nature notebook is somewhat my laboratory. I like to write nature poems and then do the pages "scrapbook style." It is such a feeling of accomplishment when I create lovely pages.

Love,
Mom

Jenna said...

My labratory is...most definitely the kitchen, but the barn is a close second. No, I can't create things out there, but it's my second home lol! I love my animals and the beauty of God's creation!!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Great post, my friend! LOL about THE pie incident. :-P I remember that one. I feel very at home with a crochet hook, yarn, or an embroidery hoop and needle, too. :) Typically while watching a movie...or Sue Thomas. :) :)

I second Anna with what she says about her kitchen-I don't really try new recipes often...just make/help with the tried and true ones.

I do LOVE our K-Tec mixer/blender-it's awesome!!! We've made dough for rolls today, Kefir smoothies, and later, an angel-food cake. It is especially helpful for bread making-no kneading! :) As I assist Mum more in the kitchen, (and after I graduate) I'll probably work/learn in the kitchen more often with new recipes.

Love ya!

sarah said...

I love my kitchen Aid too! We have a Bosch, but it's kind of a pain to wash.
Trying new recipes is fun sometimes:).

Mia said...

The kitchen is definetely the "Home based" lab, and I'd consider the dining room my "extensive research room" (I paint, teach, sew and read in there! ) :)

Mia

Neesie said...

I wish I lived nearer to you so that I could be your "lab rat" and eat all the yummy things!

Sara said...

I love the Food Network show! And I love food...so I really like your laboratory. =D
Right now, my laboratory is a clinic filled with mannequins with teeth. =P
hmmmm, I think I do like your laboratory better now that I think about it.

Ella said...

Anna, I would have thought sewing first and foremost for you....but I was wrong =)

Elisa, good tip. Thanks! Why didn't I think of that?

Mom, so then maybe Scrapbooking is your laboratory.....

Jenna, I would have thought the barn for you immediately.

Meghan, I was thinking of you when I wrote about the crocheting =) Sadly, I can't watch Sue Thomas and work in the kitchen at the same time =(

Sarah, I had used Mom's KitchenAid for the longest time, but I got a BOSCH for my birthday. I love how light it is for a positive element.


I like your wording, Mia!

Sara, I don't know how I would love the mannequins and teeth =)

Ella said...

Neesie, I neglected you! I would love for you to be my lab rat. Hop on a plane anytime!

Elisa said...

I guess the kitchen is probably my lab too, though I also enjoy making my own simple skirt patterns(I am wearing one of them now).
I just put four big fluffy loaves of oatmeal bread in the oven to bake.

Sara said...

Hee hee, my lab would probably be the floor. That sounds weird... but I mean dancing. I love hearing a song, creating a dance,and perfecting it... does that count?

Julia said...

Love this post Ella! :D
My Lab is probably my room... I crochet in there, and read *ahem, research* in there, but a very close second would be the computer desk. :D

Love & Hugs,
Julia