Thursday, November 04, 2010

A Peace That Passes

I don't do well with the unknown. While I do have a spontaneous streak in me, I like to have things planned; I like to know what I am doing. On certain days of the week, I have particular tasks that I want to do...and if I have something else on that particular day, I like knowing some time in advance. Get the idea, I like knowing what is going on.

However, that doesn't happen in life all that often. I think God likes me to life "by the seat of my pants." After all, it makes me more dependable on Him, as I have to rely on His directions. Most of the time, I remember that God is in control.....yet I am more inclined on "my way." Or a better way to phrase it would be that I worry about what I want never happening. It's not the right way to be, I know, and I am truly content with whatever does come my way....but today, God revealed an area in which I am totally reliant on Him.
___________________________________________________________

For the past several weeks, I have been volunteering at the library. It was something that I wanted to do for years; I just procrastinated about asking for an application. When I finally did, I found out that they could use me. Now, I think they view me as a vital helper (although that could be because I bring in sweets every time I come =D). While volunteering is good enough, a job opportunity has come my way--and after praying about it, and consulting with my parents, I decided to go for it.

Let me tell you, it was interesting putting myself in a vulnerable position. I am a person who doesn't take rejection all that well; I tend to take it personally. But I knew that couldn't hold me back. I could use the salary for one thing. Plus, a job would give me something to do.......so I completed my first resume, turned it in, and prayed as I did both. Whatever He wills, I will accept.

Sure, I would love the job. It's part-time in the children's department and I love kids! But if God doesn't allow me to get it, I am say with one hundred percent honesty, that that will be okay. I won't take it personally. And it will be a sign from Heaven that I am to remain where I am planted--besides, I know that I am needed in the book mending department!

It is saying something for me to have such peace. I know that it comes from my Father alone, as it is a peace that passes all understanding. I have had that overwhelming knowledge a few times in my life.....and there is nothing better to feel completely moldable and completely at rest in His hands.
___________________________________________________________________

I hope you find peace in some unknown situation today!

3 comments:

Patti said...

Peace about God's ways is always a wonderful feeling. You know that I, too, have peace about a situation that has consumed me for years.

Praise God for His peace.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

:) This post made me smile. Are we so alike or what? I find whenever I rely on my own understanding or my way (cue Sinatra!) :) I fall flat on my face until the Lord picks me back up again in humility. And then takes me on the ride of my life with joyful flexibility and peace with that. :) Love you, sister.

"When peace like a river attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say: It is well, it is well with my soul!"

Madeline Hunt said...

What great thoughts on relying on God! He does promise his amazing peace and that is so comforting!
~Madeline
www.flameitnhedarkness.com