Sunday, September 15, 2013

Spot On


I haven't seen Bridesmaids....but this photo seemed to work =)

The internet doesn't have many articles that make me go "WOW. That was GOOD." Most of them, I get frustrated and annoyed with what I read. However, this past week, a particular article has made its way through my Facebook feed, one that made sit up and nod my head.

Finally. Someone was saying words that I have been saying in my head, or aloud to a few trusted confidantes, but never would I have the guts to write them down.

Before I continue on with my thoughts, I want you to read the article. It can be found here. Then come back =)

..........

See? Wasn't it good?!

**************************************

 I could just end it there. And I just might. You know what, that is what I am going to want to do. I'm dying to know YOUR thoughts on it.

Granted, I would word things differently. I think a little extra measure grace could be used when handling people. But still, I gave a resounding AMEN......it won't put my critics to rest.

But it is always good to know we're not alone.
Ella

4 comments:

Patti said...

This is a fantastic article!

Those "you should be married" or "you should be dating" or "you should be having children now," or "you should be doing...whatever...fill in the blank" wound others greatly with their words. Like the life one is currently living isn't really a life at all.

In this case, it's as if life doesn't really begin until one is married, with children.

Kudos to this woman for writing this article, and thank you for sharing it.

Love,
Mom

Charity said...

Whenever anyone gives me grief about being 30 and still single, I challenge them to find me an unmarried Christian man my age in the church. You can't. There aren't many of them. Most of the young men are OUTSIDE the church. That usually shuts them up, because guess whose fault that is -- not my fault. The previous generation's fault. Ie, usually the person harping on me.

Alexandra said...

Charity - Haha, great point! ;)

I just think it's a shame that we seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place in Christian (and even moreso in homeschool) circles, where if we're longing for marriage we're told to "be content", and if we're genuinely content and happy being single we're preached at that it's a sin that we're not married or something. Can't win. :)

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I have several thoughts on this, and they're a little disjointed, so please bear with me.

I have two best friends who are unmarried, one in her 30s and one in her 40s. The friend in her 30s (E) is currently dating, but the friend in her 40s (D) has realized that she's just happy the way she is, totally fulfilled with her life, and doesn't need more than what she's been given. I occasionally say to my husband, "Man, I don't envy E -- all that dating stuff was way too much work! I'm glad I'm past that!" I have never once said, "Man, I don't envy D -- all that freedom to make your own decisions about how to spend your money and free time was way too much work!"

Not everyone gets married. Not everyone needs to get married. Not everyone should get married. And I think that if more people realized this, we might prevent a few failed marriages from happening.

Finally, I read Bridget Jones' Diary shortly after I got engaged. It's got a lot of bad language and a little sex, so I can't wholeheartedly recommend it, but it hammered home to me the fact that, once I was married, I needed to not talk about married life all the time to my unmarried friends, to not say things to remind them that they're not married yet, to not in any way act like being married made me better than someone who is unmarried. Maybe it should be bowdlerized and given out as a sort of self-help book to all Smug Marrieds.

Hang in there! Enjoy your life the way it is.