The Golden Globes are the first on the docket. Or I should say were. Two weeks ago, A-list stars got all gussied up as they reward the best in TV and film. (Though granted, the best is all relative. For each has a different opinion on it. Trust me, there were two big awards that I did not agree with the outcome. But nobody asked me.)
Compiled below are my ten favorite outfits. Not necessarily in any particular order, BUT I definitely loved them. So here we go:
Leslie Mann in Dolce and Gabbana--Oh this dress has so many things going for it. The first thing I noticed about it was the peplum, something that is so on trend right now. I'm a fan, which aided in me loving this dress. Black lace is also classy. Subtly sexy without looking sleazy--at least with how Leslie wears it. And her alabaster skin, red hair and the red lip. It's timeless.I am not the biggest fan of the hair (it looks dingy). But I can look past that. Everything else is flawless. So it is enough to give her a pass.
********************************

Michelle Dockery in Oscar de la Renta--If you remember last year, Lady Mary was my best dressed at this very event. And in 2014, that trend continued. I adored this outfit. Let me count the ways.
High/low hemlines are also very on point this past year. Some can go too risque; others look too trashy. This one is classy. The color, while it could be considered to wash her out, steers clear of that due to the embellishments. Once again, the red lip against her alabaster skin tone makes it all pop. And I LOVE her hair. Bobs freak me out (bad childhood experience), but on her...I kind of wish it was era appropriate for Downton Abbey.
There is nothing I can fault in this look. SO Michelle Dockery would be my top pick.
**************************************
Julie Bowen in Carolina Hererra--This outfit has ended on MANY worst dressed lists. In fact, I think on all of them. Even my dearest friend hated this look. But me....I found myself loving it.
Another trend lately is color blocking. Now, it has to be done right when it comes to the color palate, complementary colors and all hat. Reds and purples, being in the same "family," do work together. And I love when a woman is willing to make a bold statement with her outfit. Too many times do we have metallic and black and blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong, they are also fantastic. But so was this.
Yes, I see that the bodice resembles velvet. Yes, the shoulders do resemble 80's and 90's padded shoulders (which we all abhor). But I love it all. It's hard to explain and describe. I loved the hair, even though some called it matronly.
I know I'll be in the minority on this one, but still, Julie rocks it, in my opinion.
***************************
Melissa Rauch in Ramona Keveza--Yellow is a VERY tough color to wear on the red carpet. More often than not, I hate it. It makes one look like Big Bird. And while I have fond memories of Big Bird, I wouldn't want to look like him at the Golden Globes.
Two women wore yellow on this particular night. One wore it terribly, but Melissa pulled it off with great aplomb. For one thing, it is a more fitted down. Going A-line with this color would not be a good thing. Second, the dropped sleeves...it gives the illusion of Belle a la "Beauty and the Beast." Which once I realized, I fell in love with. I mean, being a Disney princess for an evening. Don't we all have that dream?!
Her hair being a messy updo and her eyes more "stark" prevent the dress from going into too sugary sweet territory. Personal taste would have the neckline higher. But thankfully the cleavage isn't too overbearing.
It is always nice to see the Big Bang Theory stars get out of their "nerd clothes."
******************************
Cate Blanchett in Armani--She is known as the main woman of couture. Cate can wear the most bizarre fashions and yet, they look flawless on her. I never know what to expect when she will walk the red carpet.Sometimes with couture, it can go horribly wrong. OR it can go blissfully right. Thankfully, in this particular instance, it went in the proper direction. It is modest (even the low back is tasteful). It makes a statement. And it looks vintage. Retro, if you will. Her hair and makeup continues along those lines.
Does it look almost too Little House on the Prairie? It could. But I think it manages to avoid that territory, especially the nude underlay with the black lace. That is an entirely modern element. So there you have it--mixing the timeless with the new.
I like this a LOT. The Golden Globe winner was definitely golden
**************************************Julianna Marguiles in Andrew Gn--I have never heard of this designer before. But apparently, this was a custom made gown for the Good Wife star. And the designer had to recreate it in four days when the original got lost. I must say, he did a beautiful job!
The gold detailing is very unique and it keeps the dress from being just an ordinary black dress. That would have been horribly depressing.The nipped in waist is a perfect way to "flaunt your figure" in a classy way. Yes, perhaps if more of the dress had been nipped, it would have been a better "fit" for Julianna. But as a fashion friend of mine wrote on her blog, mermaid dresses are done so often. I'm glad Julianna steered clear from that. Besides, it isn't really her style anyway.
I also love that she wore her hair up (which I have discovered she probably does because it's down on her show ALL THE TIME). But it is soft. Too many times has she worn it too austere.
But not on this occasion.
************************************
Olivia Wilde in Gucci--There were three, pregnant A-list stars to walk the red carpet at the Golden Globes. And in my personal opinion, Olivia did the best job of them all. Now, this dress translated better while presenting the award (the fluidity and general movement of the dress. Yes, that does happen). Still, it is a stunning dress.This color is gorgeous. I don't believe any other actress wore this shade which makes her stand out. The blingy nature had Olivia go understated with the jewelry. She didn't need much anyway. I love her kohl-rimmed eyes and on this occasion, I don't mind ombre hair. The loose waves are just the thing for this dress.
Overall, on my fashion sites, I have been impressed with Olivia's maternity style. This remains true on one of Hollywood's biggest nights.
**********************************Giuliana Rancic in Lorena Sarbu--I immediately fell in love with this dress when I saw it. I would say it was my second favorite behind Michelle Dockery. I did not get to see this initially, but it was through browsing picture galleries that I found it.
I pay attention to the presenters briefly. And I'll admit that Giuliana is my favorite most of the time. The burgundy color pops. The illusion neckline is stunning. It flatters her reconstructive surgery that she had after cancer. It's not the typical style of gown that she usually wears.
I have not loved Giuliana's latest haircut recently. Until now. I don't know if it is how it is parted, styled, curled, what have you. It is gorgeous. The only thing I do not like with the whole ensemble is her clutch. I look at it now and it seems like a cell phone case.
Oh well. Inconsequential detail.
*****************************************
Jenna Dewan Tatum in Roberto Cavalli--This woman looks FLAWLESS. Granted, it is unrealistic how she looks, coming off of baby being born and everything. Though it could be her dancer background! Regardless, I am so impressed with her outfit.Its vampy style is something that I enjoy. Because if it had been all white, that would have been too bridal. The detailing is unique. It looks like a spider web. But it does not look costume like. And the red lip she went with is more dark and subtle.
The emerald earrings and hair are also more subdued. Allowing the gown the chance to be the main attraction. Well, that and her husband. =D
*******************************

Allison Williams in Alexander McQueen--I end with one of my favorite stars to watch. Her style is very classic. Audrey Hepburn-esque in a way. Allison wears many different styles beautifully. There is a grace about herself.
The neckline is what makes this dress. It's different. It does look awkward. But if it were not there, this gown would look like a typical sleeveless dress. Talk about boring. Especially because we are talking about a black and white color palate here.
But it is McQueen. He's all about being different. Allison let that label do the talking, even down to her hair....and you know. It all works
****************
So there you have it! How off the rocker am I with my choices?













4 comments:
Ooo-la-la! Love Cate Blanchett, she's a class act. Michelle DID look really nice which is lovely since years past at these shows, she's been one of my least favorite trendsetter. Julie's dress is unique (plus I love that she went for "bold" as opposed to dark or classy whites, neutrals). And wow! Julianna's gown is gorgeous. Classic, understated but oh-so stylish.
Cannot wait for your eventual thoughts on the Oscars. It's odd that they're so late this year due to the Olympics. Ah, well! March will be here before we know it. ;)
Yay! I love reading your fashion write-ups! SO glad you agreed with me on Julie Bowen (it just WORKS, people!), and I also liked Giuliana Rancic. AND I liked how you found that Belle element in Melissa Rauch's dress... I wasn't even thinking about that!
This was so much fun to read. I need to go friend you on Facebook, and if you are ever in New England, please stop by. We need to talk about this sort of thing in person. ;)
People whose dresses I liked that aren't on your list:
Lupita Nyong'o
Jessica Chastain
Helen Mirrin (I loved the color!)
I like your choices! Such a fun post :-)
So many gorgeous dresses! All of your choices are stunning, though I think my absolute fave is the top one...the black peplum-style.
I have to admit, I am "old school" when it comes to maternity clothing. I don't like the current style of wearing something very fitted over the pregnancy belly. I am of a different generation, when we were a bit more discreet about it. (Yes, "tent style" works for me.)
Post a Comment