Ok, I have a set rule that unless a movie is really good, I am not going to recommend it. However, what is my opinion of "good?" That can mean anything nowadays. On this blog, if a movie is decent, with no sexual content or bad language, and if you can watch it with your whole family (and that includes your 15 year old brother) then it is okay to tell your friends about. Well, I have that such movie, or a series of movies actually.
Thanks to two very dear friend's recommendations, not to mention their incessant talking or mentioning them, I have gotten swept into the realm of the Janette Oke movies. Who couldn't? Ok, maybe my brother, but deep down, I don't think he minds them as much as he says. :-) Now, I have only seen the first two, Love Comes Softly and Love's Enduring Promise, so those are the ones I am telling you to watch as of now. (We have the third one on order at the library! I like them so much, I intend to own them all someday.)
These movies serve as a good reminder that decent movies are still out there and they can be good ones too! I mean, secular raters might slam them, but what kind of movies do they encourage you to go see? They approve of movies that have so much cussing you need a bleeper (and then half of the movie is silent!) There's often blatant sex and cheating with someone they aren't married to. More often than not, they are immodestly dressed and with attitudes/demeanor to match! How can that be a good movie?!
On the flip side, secular people have rated movies like Facing the Giants poorly. I haven't seen that yet, but I have heard enough to know that it is a really good movie. It will be interesting to see what they rate Amazing Grace when it comes out.;-) Anyone want to take a guess?
However, these Janette Oke movies are different. There is no cussing, which is such a good thing. (Am I the only one who cringes when that happens?) It takes place in pioneer times, so undoubtedly, the clothes are modest. There are a lot of positive messages in these movies, though not necessarily the "Roman Road to Salvation." Now yes, there is romance. Those of you who really know me know that I am a sucker for that. However, the romances in these movies are pure, innocent, decent ones. In fact, in the two movies that I have watched, there was only one kiss before they were married, and it was a pure, sweet kiss, nothing too long or inappropriate. (Unlike the passionate grossness that has infiltrated Hollywood's movie industry.)
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would much rather fill my mind with the issues in these wonderful movies. Yes, I do occasionally watch one or two "best-seller" movies that are mostly decent. However, we are told in Philippians 4:8-9 to think on things that are pure, things that are noble, things that are lovely, things that are right, whatever is admirable. My opinion is that the Janette Oke movies follow this list, and they are best-sellers to me!
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











25 comments:
What a great post!! I love the way you write.
I, too, liked those movies, and I definitely vote for owning them. They are wholesome and sweet.
I am looking forward to Amazing Grace coming out. That looks like an amazing movie. Wonder how long it'll be in theaters!
Facing the Giants was really good! You should see it.
Yeah, Ella told my mom about Amazing Grace, and she wants to see it. Good Post, Ella.
I agree. You're not the only one who cringes. :-)
Actually I think we own "Love Comes Softly"
I've seen all four of the Janette Oke movies made so far. They are good movies, but they were ruined for me because they strayed completely away from the book in the third and fourth movies. I just have to enjoy them for what they are. :)
I really want to see Facing the Giants! Everyone who has seen it, recommends it. I just recently heard about Amazing Grace and looking forward to it, also.
Alice, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who cringes.
Shifty, and what do you think of it?
Miriam, I have never read the books, so I can't say how much they differ. Once I see them, you can tell me about the books. :-) Sometimes, you have to take a movie for how it is and try not to compare. (I did that with the 3rd Left Behind movie)
I have read Love Comes Softly, and a lot of other Jannette Oke books, but no other ones in that particular series.
lol me? I have never cared to watch it :P
Like Aquamarine, too girly, huh?
There are actually eight in the Love Come Softly book series.
I'm wondering if they'll make movies for all of them.
looove Aquamarine!!! We have it DVR'ed. She is really funny, and can bring fish out of hiding! :P
I would love for them to make all eight, provided they stayed the way that they do now:-)
Hi G ,
How are you ? You know what movie's I like ! ADVENTURE !!!! But I am Ok with softer movie's as well . Late !
The Wolf
Yeah, action/adventure is always good for a change, as well as a little THRILL.....(as long as it's clean!)
Gosh, Hannah. You had my mom concerned. I had to figure out that it was you before she calmed down. (Mom and Dad are very leery of the internet.)
But, yes, you know what movies I like and I definitely know what YOU like!!!
Hi G ,
I 'm sorry to have out your mom on edge ( though my inner imp is giggling , Bad imp ! ) I signed her guest book to , so tell her I am just being a goof ball . How did you find out ? ( come to think of it signing The Wolf is not the best way to sign yourself on a blog of a female , any female . oops ! ) Later !
The Wolf ( who is as gentle as a lamb !!! Honest !!! ) lol ;-p
I was watching Love's Enduring Promise last night! I forgot that it isn't that bad. :-) (Meaning the plotline)
I was watching Love's Enduring Promise last night! I forgot that it isn't that bad. :-) (Meaning the plotline)
Haha you had me worried there too!! I was like, "The wolf? Um... That's kinda creepy!!" You should put yourself as the Irish dancer or something :P
Dear G ,
Somehow ( not my fault ) I have a blog . It signed me up . How do I delete it ? Plue it won't let me log on just through google . Do you know anything about it ? Thanks
The Wolf
Dear G ,
I have deleted my blog and found out how to sign in without getting a blog .
HURRAY !!! I have been fighting with this all afternoon !!!! Later !
The Wolf ;-p AROOOO !!!!
Dear G ,
I have deleted my blog and found out how to sign in without getting a blog .
HURRAY !!! I have been fighting with this all afternoon !!!! Later !
The Wolf ;-)
AROOOO !!!!
Alice, see, Love's Enduring Promise isn't bad. I will be watching Love's Long Journey sometime this week.
Hannah, glad that you got everything figured out, because I am not sure if I could have helped you.
Shifty, Hannah should have done something with Irish dancing. Wolves are predators.
Why are comments coming twice?
I like hannah's name. Wolves may be predators, but they're still pretty cool.
Post a Comment