As I suspected I would be, I was moved to near tears by the story. I have known it most of my life, but within the past few years, it has impacted me immensely. Perhaps it is because I have grown in my faith, or maybe I just recognize the magnitude of my sin more. Anyway, it just ministers to me more than I ever did.
This year, I was impacted with one particular thing (in addition to the crucifixion part.) When Jesus was falsely accused, and Pilate asked Him to deny the accusations, Jesus did not defend himself. I think that having had my own experience like this, this part of the story just spoke to me. It is hard, for humans, to keep their reputation up to the Lord. It isn't in my fleshly nature. After all, who wants to hear people speak lies about them? Mom has reminded me that Jesus will always be my defender; He will help me when "Jews" falsely accuse me.
However, the thing that speaks to me time and time again is that Jesus left all the glory of Heaven to save me from my sin. I know that if I was the only person on the earth, He would have still done the same thing. Christ was willing to bear the mockery, the pain, the scorns, all of the things that I deserved, so I could spend eternity with Him in Heaven some day. As one of my current favorite songs on the radio goes, He was pierced for our transgression. He was crushed for our sins. The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him...and by His wounds, we are healed/saved. How thankful I am that Christ bore the cup of suffering, of separation from the Father, that I might have daily communion with Him. No longer do we have to sacrifice lambs on the alter; the Lamb of God paid the debt that I owed.
So, I would encourage you all to stop for a moment today and read the account of Christ's death. I chose to read from the book of Matthew (I don't know why that particular one) but you can read from any of the gospels. Be reminded of what Christ did for us, for me on Calvary...and praise Him for His love, mercy, and goodness.
On My Cross--sung by FFH
How wide is Your love
That You would stretch Your arms
And go around the world
And why for me would a Savior's cry be heard
I don't know
Why you went where I was meant to go
I don't know
Why You love me so
Those were my nails
That was my crown
That pierced Your hands and Your brow
Those were my thorns
Those were my scorns
Those were my tears that fell down
And just as You said it would be
You did it all for me
After You counted the cost
You took my shame, my blame
On my cross
How deep is Your grace
That You could see my need
And choose to take my place
And then for me, these words I'd hear You say
Father no
Forgive them for they know not what they do
I will go
Because I love them so
(Repeat chorus)
This is the song of my heart today. How thankful I am that Christ did ALL of this for me, a sinner who deserves eternal punishment! Thank you, Father, for the price you paid for me on Calvary!











3 comments:
Beautiful post!! We all need to be reminded of the price that was paid for the debt that we could never pay.
This was wonderful, Ella! Like your mother said, we do need to be reminded daily of the price he payed and how humble he was. He didn't try to save himself but followed through His Father's will.
You are right...we need to remember Christ's sacrifice every day and not just on Easter. We should always keep it afresh in our minds.
Post a Comment