Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I Thought Boise Was A Growing Metropolis?!

Ever since we were little, Mom used to take Garrity and I out into nature. She believes that taking time to enjoy God's creation is a vital part to one's education. So, about every other Tuesday, we would head out into the sunshine (or sometimes not so much sun) and go to the zoo or the park. Here in Idaho, there are plenty of places to go. However, the weather doesn't always cooperate. Isn't there a thing called winter? :-) Well, it is spring now, and that means we are more able to go outside and not freeze to death.



It's usually a toss-up of where to go. Is it Zoo Boise, Julia Davis Park, Ann Morrison Park, Kathryn Albertson Park, or the Boise Depot? Well, we decided on Kathryn Albertson park, which is in the heart of Boise's downtown district. Of all the parks, this one is the most wooded and shady of them all. While we usually see mallard ducks, Canadian geese, and beautiful foliage, I wasn't prepared for what I saw yesterday. Boise is a growing city with over 200,000 people, yet you wouldn't have thought so. Can you guess what I saw?






Yes, you are seeing these pictures correctly. With his new camera, Garrity shot these pictures of nine white-tailed deer. Mom says it....almost....made her imagine herself back in Yellowstone. For me, it was refreshing to see a sign of rural seclusion in the midst of growth. God really is good! I am so thankful that I was able to see these animals that are usually in the woods up close and personal.

5 comments:

Miriam N. said...

Wow, in the middle of the city? That's neat. I think deer are one of the most delicate creatures God has made.
They're so...well...delicate!

Alice said...

How fun! We've had so many deer out here in the country this year. A couple actually came right up by my neighbor's house and ran across the road the other day!

Ella said...

Miriam, it was really odd. What is more odd is that a few weeks ago, a bunch of deer were seen crossing the river right by Boise State University. How is that?

Alice, it was really fun...truly a nice surprise.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it sure was a treat...and such a shock to see deer in downtown. I'm so glad that we braved the wind and the very cloudy skies. If we had chosen to not do nature study because it was kind of cold, we would have missed it all. And, yes, it ALMOST put me in mind of Yellowstone. I still need a Yellowstone fix again soon though...if not this summer, definitely next!

Anna Naomi said...

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures! God's creatures are so amazing. Like Miriam said, deer are so dainty and delicate, and delightful!