"....Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."--Philippians 4:8
This is a very well-known, often recited, verse. Most people use it as a reminder about guarding yourself from something bad. While that is good (and what I do) I think it is find to compare this verse with something good as well.
Perhaps you struggle the same way our family does: you can't find any good movies that are decent and not hokey. Well, my family watched North and South last night. (It's based on an Elizabeth Gaskell novel...NOT the Civil War mini-series with Patrick Swayze.) What a wonderful movie that I am sure we'll add to our collection. If I say that my brother watched it, you can rest assured that low dresses are hardly existent. In a society where (pardon the expression) sex sells, it is wonderful to view a film where there are no issues. Sure it's predictable; it's like a Pride and Prejudice, sort of, during England's Industrial Revolution. However, I appreciate that the romance parts of the story involves characters courting....and all their clothes are on. I like that much better than the nudity scenes that are out there today, don't you?
So, I have spent time this morning comparing North and South with Philippians 4:8. Purity is evident and not compromised. The main guy is honorable and true to the main girl, even when she doesn't appreciate or even like him. There are good functional family relationships, especially between father and daughter, mother and son. Basically, it is a film I can watch and remember....and not feel dirty as I do so. Refreshing!! If you look hard enough, there ARE great movies out there!
If you want a "better" review, check out this article from Ladies Against Feminism.
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Another Sweet, Family-Friendly, Decent Movie Review
Labels:
family,
femininity,
modesty,
movie reviews
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











9 comments:
I agree. This is a movie that we will want to own. How refreshing to find movies with no objectionable scenes!!
I quite agree! Like I told you, I bet we will own it by the end of the year...yet probably way sooner than that!
I have seen this movie! I really liked it! I want to read the book so I can see how true it was to it.
Wives and Daughters is a wonderful movie, too! I just saw it last night with some friends.
I am going to read the book as well; I have put it on hold at the library.
I also love Wives and Daughters! I love all those movies!
Hey Ella,
My name is Emily and I heard of your blog through your mom! I'm 17 as well. It's encouraging to meet another young girl with a heart for Jesus.
I've never seen the movie North and South, (I did see some of the mini series...) but it's one I would love to see.
Emily (www.homesteadblogger.com/3sisters)
Emily, welcome to the blog. I hope you find it encouraging, and I look forward getting to know you.
After reading the review on LAF and your review, I put it on my birthday wish list. Elijah gave it to me for my birthday (we had the family party last night) and now I can't wait to watch it!
Oh, I wish I was watching it with you!!!! It is so good; I don't think you will be disappointed!
Hello Ella,
My name is Beverly, and I came to your website from Maidens of Worth. I really appreciate the insightful way you blog! I have North and South at my house, just waiting to be watched. I like how you used Philippians 4:8 in this post. I just started a website/blog for young ladies that is based on the truths found in this gem of a passage. Thank you for your words! I'll be coming back to read more:-)
Post a Comment