Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Way Out of My Comfort Zone

Getting out of our comfort zone is a good thing. Sure, it is scary, nerve wracking, and difficult. However, one thing I mention a lot on this blog is that we can feel a sense of accomplishment when we try something new. Well, I did. Have any of you cut your dad's hair?!


Dad has been cutting Garrett's hair ever since he was four....I think. Well, Garrett was in the shower, and Mom wasn't too keen on the idea. So, I offered to do it. Now, I have never done anything like this before.



When I get my haircut, I go to a "salon" where a person uses scissors. With Dad, I used razors and a seventeen year old, rather inexperienced, girl. Dad was sure brave to trust his head to me! :-) It wasn't easy for me to do this. I was a perfectionist regarding this, even though it was my first time. I did cry with frustration, but somehow, I stuck with. (Perhaps it was because I didn't want Dad to go around with a half-done haircut!)

And here is the finished product. Doesn't look too bad! I have made up my mind; I will continue to learn the art of cutting Dad's hair. It is a way to honor him, and I definitely want to do that!! Plus, who knows, my husband want me to do his hair too!

So, I have some "encouraging wisdom" for ya'll. If you are faced with an opportunity to honor your dad, take it! He will be pleased and happy, and you will be a servant...just what our Lord was to us!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job!! I am proud of you for pesevering.

Alice said...

That's great, Gabrielle! I have always wanted to do that, but never have had the opportunity. I'm pretty sure that Hannah cuts Todd's hair, though. Or, at least, she has. Thanks for putting pictures up of the event! Aren't you EVER coming to Buffalo?! :-)

Ella said...

Mom, it was hard to persevere at times, but I wanted to do it. You know how much I want to honor my dad.

Alice, I would love to come to Buffalo one day. But it is a little too far to drive :-) and airplane fare is expensive!! However, I will see you one day...Lord wiling, soon!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good job! I've never cut anyone's hair before. I really ought to try it sometime. I do have a couple younger brothers I could practice on. I think I'd have to work up a bit of courage before I tried my Dad's hair.
btw, on the movie guess you were correct! The movie was Everafter. I love that movie!! It's one of my favorites.
have a great 4th of July!
emy www.homesteadblogger.com/3sisters

Ella said...

Emily, my brother would never let me do his hair. That I am sure of!!

I like Ever After as well. It's not a favorite, but I do enjoy watching it.

Hope you, and everybody, had a wonderful 4th of July!

Miriam N. said...

How nervewracking! Maybe Daddy will trust me with his head one day.
I cut my youngest brother's hair once, but he wimpered the whole time (all in play, of course!). :)

Ella said...

Miriam, it was nervewracking!! I was so afriad of cutting my dad's head!! Thankfully, he didn't play around and howl in pain! :-)

Anna Naomi said...

Neat. =) Dad and Elijah always cut each other's hair. Perhaps one day I'll learn though, if Elijah's not around...

Ella said...

Anna, it is great to have you back as well!

You ought to cut your dad's hair when Elijah is away at college :-)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! How blessed your daddy must be. You did a great job!

My dh used to let me cut his hair but he likes to shave his head now and I don't get to do that. I do cut my whole families hair. It is a good skill to know.

What a nice blog...I will come back with my 14 yo girl another time.