If you could go back in time, to what time period would you go? Like my mom, would your destination be "little house on the prairie" days? Would you go back to a particular nation, as my brother would with pre-Soviet Russia? My personal choice, if I had the option, would take me to Regency England.
I love that time period. I mean, the book I am currently reading is Wives and Daughters. North and South is the next movie I plan on adding to our family's inventory. One of my favorite authors is Jane Austen....see, I am crazy about it!! Yet why does the Regency era appeal to me so?
I believe the answer to that question lies in the general make-up of women. Though some seek to remove femininity, beauty, elegance, and grace from their lives, those yearnings are in each and every women, or so I think. I will even go as far as to say that I believe God put those desires in us for good reason; they set apart from our male counterparts.
So, if I remember those traits, I see why I love the Regency era so. The modest gowns, the tea times, the functional family relationships, the courting, the protection of men....all of it "soothes my soul." Perhaps if I lived in a time and place where my desires were fulfilled, I wouldn't crave Regency England and my world of certain entertainment so much. However, I do not live in a different time and place; I am firmly rooted in 21st Century America, and my love of "old-fashioned womanhood" is probably considered really weird by people.
Many would say that we have come far from horses and buggies, slow forms of communication, and the days of man-powered machinery. Okay, maybe we have. After all, e-mail is a great way to keep in touch! :-) However, when it comes to women, their role, and the way that they are perceived, I do not believe progress and change has been good. In fact, I believe we have missed out on a lot.
I do not want to appear as if Regency England is the greatest thing as sliced bread; I know it had problems. Yet, if you would allow me, (and even if you won't) I want to try to communicate why I think the way I do. But more importantly, I want these next posts to glorify God; that is my main goal. So, here we go! (Yet remember this: what I will write about is my opinion only. You are not in sin if you don't practice or follow what I think. PLEASE bear that in mind!!!! And God bless!)
Monday, July 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











7 comments:
I so believe that women have missed out on God's best for them by rejecting femininity and womanhood, and instead seeking to do manly things and to have a man's strength.
I look forward to reading your thoughts on this subject. And, as always, I enjoy watching those sweet movies with you...and wishing that my generation (and yours) had been raised to embrace those things instead of thinking they were old-fashioned.
I like your site and feel it will be an encouragement to many young women and I have given you the Reflective Blogger Award. Find out more information on my site. http://www.homesteadblogger.com/quiverfullacres/62080/I+am+a+Reflective+Blogger...say+what%3F%21++How+sweet.....html
Mom, you and I see definitely see eye to eye on this subject!!! And I love watching our movies with you too!
Mrs. Chrissy, I am deeply honored that you see my blog as an encouragement to young women. I see it as such also. And thank you for giving me the Reflective Blogger Award! Again, it is an honor, and I pray God will use it for His glory!
I also enjoy that time period! I look forward to your posts - this topic is near and dear to my heart as well.
Anna, I think it is on a lot of people's hearts!
I think I am torn! I would like to go back to the prarie days when women found joy in serving their families, and when materialism wasn't as prevalent.
I share your love for the Regency Era as well, and would like to "travel" there. God made us different from men, and it is indeed beautiful to see a woman with feminine graces. In that time period it seemed that most women were raised to express their femininity and to expect the man to be the leader!
I will be looking forward to your future posts!
Mrs. Beverly, I am glad that you found my blog through Maidens of Worth. I pray that it is an encouragement to you.
I also believe God created men and women to be different. Too bad we do not act like that now!
Post a Comment