Monday, December 17, 2007

A Modest Carol--Part 2, or The Ghost of Christmas Past

“Emmmmaaaa.”

Emma awoke with a start, convinced she heard her name. When she glanced around the room, and saw nothing, Emma assumed it was her body playing tricks on her once more. She was just at the point of acknowledging that she might need a doctor, when she happened to look at the TV.

“What Not to Wear” had been over for some time now, but the channel wasn’t TLC anymore. Rather, there was only a black screen, black as midnight. Yet standing there was a woman, if she could be called a woman. To Emma, she looked like a combination of Ma Ingalls and Missie Davis/ Lahaye/ Tyler.

“Emmaaaa.”

There it was again. This time, Emma had seen the screen character open her mouth as the words issued forth. “What…what do you want? Who are you?” She spoke with a quaking voice, for how would you like to see an apparition you knew absolutely nothing about?!

“I am the Ghost of Christmas Past. I am here to show you your past, in the hopes you will remember. Were you not expecting me?”

“Well, I was told that you were to come. Yet I did not believe or trust, though it looks like I must now. But honestly, how can you show me things that have already happened. Time travel doesn’t exist you know.”

“You analyze far too much. There is a thing called trust and faith. Sometimes, you have to believe a person without seeing. So, when I say that I can show you your Christmases past, I can show you your Christmases past. Now, our time grows short. Come to the screen and hold out your hand.”

Emma had never heard anything so unrealistic in all her 21 years of life. However, she did not want to find out the results for disobedience, so she did has the Spirit instructed. She approached the TV with a trembling footstep and held out a hand. All of a sudden, Emma felt her feet lifted from under her, her body sucked into the device in a flash of light, and then, all was darkness once more.

“Where are we? Have you killed me or something? I can sue you for this!!” Emma was about to launch into another tirade, until the darkness began to fade and she found herself in a room.

“Do you know where you are now?” The spirit asked.

Emma glanced about. She saw a beautiful evergreen tree, covered in tinsel, ornaments, and popcorn garland. There were presents under the tree, and a family was seated on the couch. They were reading a book and sipping hot chocolate. It was a lovely picture to behold. Emma knew the house, the living room, at once. It had been her childhood home.

“Why of course I know it!! I grew up here. There is Mom and Dad and John my brother…Hello everybody!”

“They cannot hear you. You are here to observe and remember. That is all.” There was a pause in the conversation until the Ghost spoke once more. “You all look so happy. Were all Christmases as happy as this one? Even though you didn’t have that much money?”

“Oh, yes they were. Mom and Dad always tried to make the holiday special. Some years were better than others present-wise, yet my brother and I always felt loved and cared for.” Emma paused a moment, remembering the times that had passed by, which was what the Ghost wanted.

“What book are you all reading?”

“Oh, you say it is Christmas. So, that would mean we were reading the Bible. Luke 2. It was a tradition; Mom and Dad made it a rule that we could not open presents until we read the Bible. Wait….who might that be?”

Emma’s last question had come from hearing the doorbell ring. She watched as her father got up to answer the door, returning in a little bit with grandparents and some family friends. It added to the already lovely picture.

“Now I remember this Christmas. It was the last one we had with mother before she….”

“Before she died,” the Spirit finished. “Yes, I know it is so, for let us see another Christmas.”

They never left the room, but sure enough the picture changed. Dad and John were downstairs talking and reading, just like the previous Christmas. Emma was not there, yet she was coming down the stairs just as the picture cleared.

“Emma, my dear,” Father said. “Where have you been this morning? You missed our Bible reading.”

“I know I did,” Emma harrumphed. “I have decided that I am old enough to make my own decision regarding faith. I do not want to be a part of anything that took Mom away from us. It is fine for you and John; it isn’t for me. I still love you and Mom, and I can even respect your convictions. I can’t personally anymore.”

The Ghost looked at Emma. “You really said that? Didn’t it sound like dishonor to you?”

“Of course it did,” Emma shot back. “I believe I had some valid points. I was sixteen that Christmas. I was a girl in the prime of life when she needed a mother. I didn’t have one anymore, so I made do the best way I could. I tried to forget some of the things Mom loved best, the main one being her faith. And I think I turned out fine.”

“Oh, really? Look at your father,” the Spirit instructed. He looks hurt and grieved, as does your brother. All they can do is look on you with sad eyes as you open all your presents, gather them up, and return upstairs, without even giving them the time of day. Their ears tingle with the sound of your door slamming shut as you change and even more so when you go out to the garage and start your car. You chose to spend Christmas with your friends, instead of your family.”

“Spirit, it is my own affair.” Emma got flushed all of a sudden. “I truly had a wonderful Christmas. My friends and I had a lovely dinner, and I met a lot of great people. One of which was Julie you know.”

“I know,” the Ghost of Christmas Past replied. “I also know from that Christmas you changed. Watch, as we jump in time two years. See the change that has come over you.”

Emma did as the Ghost instructed. She couldn’t do otherwise. She beheld herself as a young woman of eighteen. “I see no change, Spirit.”

“You don’t? Look at you. You treat your brother with no respect, as he and his fiancée try to persuade you to stay home this Christmas. Your father is ill, they say. But no, you refuse…hotly. You are dressing in what was the current fashion then, a tight red dress that shouldn’t be called a dress, but a shirt. You walk at the door with a swinging hip and far too much makeup. Do you notice your brother? He turned his eyes when you came down and did not look at the door until you closed it. Hear what he says.”

“Jen,” John sighed. “My mother would be heartbroken at how my sister has become. Mom always tried to teach Emma modesty, yet it looks like she has thrown that out, along with her faith. I love Emma so much; it hurts me to see her lower herself like this.”

“I never knew he felt that way,” Emma said to herself. “I always felt that he saw himself as a goody two-shoes, that he looked down upon me.” Yet aloud she said to the spirit, “Where was I in all this?”

Emma did not know that the Spirit knew what she was thinking. Yet the Ghost did not let on as she changed the picture. The two now found themselves in a room. It was loud and noisy. Girls were giggling far too much and there was nothing Christmas-keeping in the manner of the people. Emma saw herself, flirting with many guys until one came up to her.”

Emma’s heart filled with anguish. “NO, Spirit!!! Not this vision!! I beg of you not to show it to me!!”

“You created it. I only show what has already occurred.”

Emma watched as her younger self greeted the young man and the two of them went off to talk. Emma could she that she was expecting some usual actions and traditions, like a kiss or two, but none came.

“Merry Christmas, Emma.”

“The same to you, Brad. Are you not well today? You do not seem yourself; most assuredly, you do not act like it.”

“Oh, I am more than well. A joyous event has happened. The Lord got a hold of my life last week. He has changed me, indeed He has.”

Emma put on a form of mock happiness, “I am so happy for you, Brad.”

“Yes, well, it changes things you know…between us.”

“What do you mean?”

“Emma, I cannot act this way with you anymore. I feel that it is wrong to be kissing you for fun when we are not married.”

“Brad, what are you saying?”

“Emma, tell me honestly. If I had had Christ in my life when we first met, would you be so interested in me now? I do not think so. You are the same; I am different. I want something higher than just flirting and typical behavior. I want to be around a woman who shares convictions with me, who will dress in a way that honors me. Emma, when we first met, I will say that I loved the way you dressed. Now, I don’t. You dress for many men, Emma. Thus, I wholeheartedly believe that you will have no trouble finding another guy.” Brad paused and held Emma’s hand. “I care deeply about you, Emma. Not as a physical attraction anymore, but rather as a person. I wish I had known all I know now, so I wouldn’t have caused you all this grief. I cannot re-write the past, but I can change the future. So, I must leave, and we must go on with our lives. May you be happy in the life you have chosen.” With that, Brad left, and tears spilled from both Emma’s eyes.

“Spirit, remove me from this place. I beg of you to see no more. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!”

As Emma made a lunge at the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Spirit gave a parting piece of advice. “Remember Brad’s words, Emma. You cannot change the past, but you can change the future. You cannot run, no matter how much you try.”

Suddenly, all was silent. Emma found herself in her living room once more, the TV back on TLC. The clock struck one o’clock. Once more, the scheduled Ghost did not make an appearance…or so Emma thought.

To Be Continued

5 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

Wow Ella! Another great part of the story!! You're writing so well - keep up the good work!

Sara said...

Hello! You have a lovely blog. I have really enjoyed reading some of your posts on here- keep up the good work!

~Sara

Ella said...

Anna, thank you very much. God is the one who writes...not me.

Sara, glad you stopped by!

Kaysie said...

Hello Ella,
Wow...another GREAT edition to your story. Very thought provoking.
Keep up the awesome work!

Kaysie

Ella said...

Thank you, Kaysie, very much!