Monday, May 12, 2008

Trusting in the Midst of Disappointment

Having dreams are a wonderful thing. Provided we don't let them consume us, they can be such blessings. It is even better when dreams come true. We are shocked, excited....we praise the Lord. But then, there are the times when dreams appear to come true...only to have it be not right now.

The past 72 hours have been such for me. For quite a while, I was entertaining a strong probability of going down to Alabama to meet my dear friends, Anna and Miriam. In my family, when one doesn't get an outright "no," you really get excited! So, it was basically decided that my mother and I were going to fly down there, spend time with them, and do some sightseeing in the South. All of today was spent looking at plane fare, hotels, car rentals, etc.

Doing so made things not so probable after all. In fact, things became a "no go." Costs seemed to get higher and higher (every time you hit a button), dates didn't compute with our schedule...and the clock struck midnight; my coach turned into a pumpkin.

But believe it or not, I am not crying. I am GREATLY disappointed!! To finally have met two of my close e-friends would have been incredible. However, the Lord has given me a sense of peace that can only have come from Him. I firmly believe that I shall meet these two (and my other "sisters") one day. I can't say when; I have learned that God's timetable and mine aren't the same.

Things like friendships, desires for marriages and babies....all of it is of God. They are talked about in the Bible often enough! Therefore, I believe they are more likely than not to be accomplished. The Lord gives us desires and sometimes a yellow light...but that doesn't mean it will never turn green. For now, a red light is what I have regarding Alabama. Yet like with driving around town, it doesn't stay that forever! He calls us to trust, though. It is easier to give up and say, "yeah right, it's always going to stay red." But it isn't what I want to do;I don't want to have a defeatist attitude. That gives Satan the victory.

I hope that in the midst of whatever disappointment you are facing, you trust the Lord. He makes a way where there seems to be no way!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I wait month after month for another baby to join our family, I often have to remind myself of the encouraging story of Joseph from Genesis. Yes, it took YEARS for his longing to be fulfilled, and even when he thought it might happen and he probably got his hopes up, it didn't happen then. Another 2 years went by until Pharoah had the dream which brought Joseph to his attention.

I believe in your life that just because the answer is "not right now", that it won't always be that way. Like Joseph, another time will bring to you what you long for. (This advice is good for me to remind myself of too!)

Love,
Mom

Miriam N. said...

True, it was disappointing. But I think it did all work out for the best. There were some difficulties with making it work out for us as well.

I feel sure we'll meet each other someday. I can't wait! =)

Anna Naomi said...

It is disappointing, but I truly understand. God's ways are best! We will meet one day, I'm sure - and I look forward to that time!

Ella said...

MOm, you are so right. I was thinking about your desires when I wrote this. It applies to all of us. Sometimes, God does call us to wait way longer than we want, but it has a reason,

Anna and Miriam, thanks for taking it so well. I look forward to that meeting soon!

Mrs. Hart said...

God truly DOES know best. Your attitude of embracing His plan in spite of your disappointment is beautiful to behold, Ella.

I am glad that you trust Him to have a better timing and a better way. Who knows - perhaps next year for Miriam's Senior Recital / Graduation?!

I enjoyed talking to you and your mother,
Mrs. Hart

Ella said...

Thank you Mrs. Hart for helping Mom and I when I wanted it. Who knows, perhaps I could see Miriam's senior recital/graduation! That would be so cool!! It hasn't been easy to accept at times, but I am holding well. God is good!!

Maria said...

Dreams are so wonderful! And when we give our dreams to God, he can fulfill them better than we ever dreamed. Other times, he blesses us with detours or yellow lights. God is faithful. :)