Friday, November 21, 2008

Musicals--Week 1

And now the moment you all have been waiting for...........

Okay, so that was a bit overdramatic =)

After reading your comments to do musicals first in my "Movie Review Fridays," I came to the conclusion that that was the majority opinion. So, consequently, that's what I will be doing. However, there will be some "exceptions" in the coming weeks, but you will find out what they are later.

Everything I recommend will be available from one of three places: your local library (or if you have a great interlibrary loan system, they'll get it from another state); Netflix (which our family uses); and Turner Classic Movies. We don't have the channel, but our PopPop does, so we ask him to record things.

Today, I decided to do some of my favorites. I bet most of you have seen at least one of them....but I have no ability to know what you have or have not seen. I'll be doing five movies a week, so here we go:



Seven Brides for Seven Brothers--Mom and I didn't understand why you all wanted me to mention this one, as you all have seen it! Anyway, this classic, starring Howard Keel and Jane Powell is my all-time favorite. The song and dance numbers can very easily get in my head and stay there for hours! That can be a good thing and an annoying thing all rolled into one sometimes. It's a sweet story about Millie marrying a back woodsman, only to discover that he lives with his six brothers. They all fall in love with Millie (even more so than her husband at first) and she helps them all find girls. If there is anyone out there who has NOT seen this movie.....RENT IT ON DVD! It's a very well-known movie.


Shall We Dance--starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers--Originally, I got this movie for the music in it. I was studying George Gershwin in my piano lessons and with that thought in my mind, I browsed the library. I picked this flick off of the shelf, but I wasn't exposed to the dancing duo of Rogers and Astaire then. Boy, did I love the movie! Garrett has seen parts of it and would watch it again. It is SO funny! Astaire and Rogers are rumored to be married and expecting a child. Of course, it isn't true. But they do a quick marriage and plan a divorce so all rumors could be put to rest. What do you think happens.......The music and lyrics (penned by George's brother, Ira) are simply great.
**There is nothing bad in this one at all. The only thing could be an issue for you is that someone plants a dummy in Astaire's bed to make it look like Rogers and he are married. Just make sure you do NOT get another movie by this same title, starring Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez. I haven't seen it; it's probably not the same thing. But don't make that mistake!**

Singin in the Rain--starring Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, and Donald O'Conner--another one of those classics that I bet you have seen. If not, I will be very surprised. This is a movie that the whole family can watch together...even your brother. Garrett says it is his favorite musical. It really is funny. The movie is about the transition from silent films to "talkies." Kelly's leading lady has a terrible voice, so Reynolds's voice is used. Kelly and Reynolds fall in love with buddy Donald O'Conner keeping everything light. The songs are fantastic. I often will go out and sing "Singing in the Rain" when it drizzles here....and that isn't very often. O'Conner is definitely the funniest in the whole movie.
**I do want to make you aware of two things. In one scene, Debbie Reynolds comes out of a cake in a short skirt. It's part of a song and really is humorous. The other thing....there is one dance number I always fast forward. It seems like in every Gene Kelly picture, there is a bizarre dance sequence. It is that one that I skip. I can tell you where it is--he is telling his producer about a more "Broadway like" number he wants to add to the movie. The dance is sensual and just plain weird. You won't miss anything by skipping.**


It Happened in Brooklyn--starring Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Durante, Peter Lawford, and Kathryn Grayson--This is just one of many Sinatra musical's I plan on enlightening you with. We watched this one as a whole family one evening. Sinatra is a soldier who returns to Brooklyn. He hopes to get settled back in and have a family. He thinks he has met the girl of his dreams....until his buddy Lawford comes to town and falls for the same girl. Ol' Blue Eyes sings, so I melt =) Grayson is a very high soprano, so that might grate on your ears for a minute. I think you will like it.


Good News--starring Peter Lawford and June Allyson--This is fast becoming one of my top favorites. I think I heard about it from Netflix and it sounded interesting. I grew to love it, though I only watched it one time. It is the story of a college girl (Allyson) who has a crush on Lawford, a star on the football team. The only thing is that Lawford likes the new girl who won't pay attention to him. So, he asks Allyson to teach him French, in the hopes of impressing the girl. That scene is just hilarious. I was semi-rolling on the floor. It really is a sweet, cute movie. I don't think there is anything you would find objectionable, but I haven't seen it in a few months. (Should add it back into our queue again =)


High Society--starring Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, and Frank Sinatra--This is the musical remake to the 1940's The Philadelphia Story. It is very hard to say which I think is better, but this one has Frank....and the classiest actress of all time in Grace Kelly....so those are two points well in this one's favor. Kelly is about to be remarried, but her first husband (Crosby) is still in love with her. Sinatra is a reporter who comes to cover the wedding....and falls in love with Kelly. You figure out who she winds up with. I guarantee Sinatra's voice will make you melt.....maybe =)
**The only thing I can think of this that Sinatra and Kelly get VERY drunk and go for a swim. Whether it is in clothes or not (and I don't think it is) you don't really know, as you don't see it. But there is nothing you need to skip. Plus, it is the cause of everything coming to a head.**

So, have you seen any? I hope you enjoy these.....and this whole new feature!

10 comments:

Miss S said...

I have seen Singin' In the Rain and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Both are all time favorites in our house. I'll have to put the others in our Netflix queue!!
~Miss S.

Patti said...

Okay, so I'm not the musical fan that you are and haven't seen most of these. Since I like The Philadelphia Story, I think I'll have to see High Society. (Wouldn't it be fun to mix and match that cast a bit? Since I'm not a tremendous Bing fan or a Hepburn fan, I would switch them out...but that still leaves me with Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart as well as Frank Sinatra. Don't think I could work it out)

Anyhow, I definitely want to see Good News too.

And I love It Happened in Brooklyn. Hard to go wrong with Sinatra singing!!

This is a fun new addition to your blog.

Love,
Mom

Jessica McDonald said...

That was delightful, Ella! I haven't seen "Good News", "It Happened in Brooklyn" or "Shall We Dance"...I'll definitely be getting those from our library!
Thank you for the excellent reviews. I know I'm going to love this new blog feature! :-)

Have a wonderfully blessedly amazing week!

Love, Jessica

Rissa said...

Ah, at last I've found someone else who fast forwards that rightly termed "bizarre" dance sequence in Singin' in the Rain. Other than that, I love the movie. Donald O'Conner as Cosmo is my favorite; he is absolutely hilarious. :)
I've also seen Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and your post has made me want to check out Shall We Dance!

Anonymous said...

Yay!
Wonderful post, Ella!
I have seen everything except It Happened in Brooklyn and Shall We Dance. I am dying to see It Happened in Brooklyn however. :) Frank Sinatra!!! *SQUEAL!* I absolutely melt when I hear his voice, too! I have him singing O Holy Night on my laptop right now! :) I would be torn-Peter Lawford is just the classic, tall, dark AND handsome movie star! Kathryn Grayson is absolutely gorgeous and I love her voice (a fact that my family is annoyed with) I am going to look up that movie in my library system right now!
Great post! Good News is one of my favorites! We got it on DVD-and my 6 year old brother loves it! Obviously because of the football. :) I love this post! And discovering there's actually someone else who loves musicals as much as I do! :)

Sara said...

Hi Ella! I really like your movie list. I've never seen "It Happened in Brooklyn", "Shall We Dance", or "Good News". They look like fun movies though. I love the other movies you mentioned...and I always skip that weird scene in Singin' in the Rain too! And I agree, Donald O'Connor was hilarious in it.

And I actually like High Society better than The Philadelphia Story. I think the fact that it's a musical and has Frank Sinatra in it might play a big part. =D

This was a fun post!

Ella said...

MIss S., definitely put the ones you haven't seen in your Netflix queue. You ought to be able to get all of them.

Mom, you could take out Cary Grant (since he is your least favorite of the three.) And then you could choose if Jimmy Stewart or Frank Sinatra would be the one Grace Kelly winds up with. =)

Jessica, I am going to enjoy this feature as well =) I had better, since I am going to be doing it =)

Rissa, I can't stand that scene in "Singin in the Rain." I was alerted about it and of what I can see when I fast forward, she was right. My brother thinks Donald O'Conner is hilarious.

Meghan, I was torn a teeny bit between Lawford and Sinatra...since Ol' Blue Eyes can sing. But everything works out fine. Kathryn Grayson was a bit much for my whole family's ears, but her characters are sweet. I juts love "Good News" --I added back into my queue.

Sara, I think because "High Society" is a musical, it is on the top of my list as well. You should get everything else!

Julia said...

Hi Ella,

Wow! I haven't seen any of these and it sounds like I should! :D Thanks for alerting us to some of the unecessary scenes to fast-forward. :)

And I just wanted to let you know that I can change any of my earrings into clip-ons! :D Gold or Silver! :D

Blessings!
Julia

Anna Naomi said...

Can you believe I've only seen two on the list?

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of my favorites! I've seen it a few times, and don't tire of it.

Singing in the Rain I saw once, and though the songs were fun and the story funny, I really didn't like how many times the actors had to kiss, especially when they didn't even like each other and had to do it for the movie they were filming. That, and the dance in the short dresses... I always think of the song "Singing in the Rain" when it rains, though!

AJSBookBlogger said...

Hi! I enjoyed this post. Now I want to see if I can find some of these videos! We own, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Shall We Dance, and I've seen Singing in the Rain. Being a fan of old movies, I've heard of some of the others you've mentioned, but haven't seen them...yet. :-) Ironically, my sister and I just watched Shall We Dance this weekend. You have to love the humor! :-) I also would agree with the "Broadway like" number in Singing in the Rain.
We usually fast forward through several songs in musicals, just because we find them weird or boring. :-)

Thanks for the post, I'll have to remember to check back sooner next time! Have a good day!

Amanda :-)