Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Home Stretch

Many of you will remember the post I did several weeks ago about my "Lenten" fast. Since the end of February, I have not tasted a dessert. I can't get rid of sugar entirely as it is in everything. But eating sugar in things like ketchup, yogurt, and salad dressing isn't the same as having pies, cookies, cakes....all those yummy things that make your mouth water.

It has been extremely hard for me to remain true to the "vow" I made before God. Dad and Garrett have continued to eat little pies from WalMart and Dryer's ice cream. I have wanted to bake in the kitchen, but the temptation would be just too much for me. If I made things like peanut butter cookies, snickerdoodles, chocolate chip cookies.....I would totally set myself up for failure. So, I didn't make them.

I didn't realize how tempting even the little things are. I mean, I go to get baking powder out for a recipe and just behind that, chocolate chips are calling my name. The one time I made cookies (oatmeal raisin--which Dad loves and I don't like) I really really wanted to eat some of the dough (before the raisins of course). I had to "wage war" with Satan; he kept telling me no one would ever know.....but I resisted. After all, God would know.

Four people have been immensely helpful in keeping me on the right path. Mom has not been eating desserts also, so it is great having someone else in the house, besides yourself, on the same fast. And then, there have been my "Sisters of the Heart." Each of them, Anna, Miriam, and Jen made the same decision--they haven't been eating dessert either. We are accountable to each other. I must say, that was a big thing that kept me going. I didn't want to have to admit to them that I had caved in before the ending date. Prayer....that is the only thing that has gotten us through.

I have learned a lot about myself these past few weeks. Christ has given me just the right amount of grace to say no to the temptations. Apart from Him, we can do nothing--even avoid sugar. After Easter and after enjoying my long awaited for dirt pudding, I have decided that I will do a far less strict version of this fast. I will eat sugar sometimes, but not nearly as often as I used to. I know I CAN do it--with His help.

So, I have seven days left to go. Like the little engine that could said, "I think I can. I think I can. I know I can." Lord, keep giving me the strength.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep at it Ella! I will say a prayer for you.

-Shannon

Katrina said...

I greatly admire you Ella! You have such great determination and a will of the Lord. You can do it!

Unknown said...

Wow, that would be hard! It is encouraging though, to see that people can definitely do things like this if they want to. I really need to go on a diet... so you and Julia have been an example I can follow, and see if I can get with my diet.
I know what you mean about chocolate chips though... I often eat them right out of the bag. They're so tempting. ;-)
Anyway, keep it up! You can do it! =)

~Madison

Anna Naomi said...

Thank you for doing this and thus giving me the inspiration to do it as well! It has been so helpful to know that you and Miriam and Jen are doing it as well. And, like you, once it is over, although I will enjoy eating dessert once in a while, I hope to not eat it quite so much. I've learned that I can survive without it!

You're right on target: God indeed gives grace and strength as we need it. With Him, we can do all things.

We only have a week left! =)

Anonymous said...

You can do it! Praise God!

Bethany said...

Just a few more days! I will be keeping you in my prayers friend!
Bethany

Neesie said...

3 days!!! You can do it my friend. :-)