Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Who I Am

**Important note to readers--The following post is one of involvement, whether on your own blog or in a comment...just so you know =)**


My friend, Jasmine, has raised an interesting point on her blog...and I quote her:


"I adore playing against that "conservative Christian homeschooling type." Here's what I mean by that: the homeschool world is full of diversity, but, many times, we homeschooled Christian conservative kids get pushed into a mold that doesn't fit all of us. It's as if some people assume that we're all exactly alike: we like the same music, watch the same films, wear the same styles of clothing, read the same types of books, etc.

That simply isn't the case. We were all made differently, for a different, unique purpose in God's grand design, and with that difference comes different taste. The diversity and originality in the body of Christ is something that I so enjoy seeing, and the freedom we have in Christ to be a bit different from one another is something I enjoy taking advantage of. While we all may have a lot in common as far as scriptural interpretation goes (though even that tends to vary at times), there are going to be a few differences: favorite colors, for instance. =) Pastimes. Interests. Passions. Talents. Abilities. Most of us don't actually resemble the stereotype people have concocted of us in their heads."


What she said is something that I said, "You said it, Sister!" You see, I find the same things are true for me. People can maybe be shocked that I don't fit the typical mold of homeschooled Christians, but you know, I don't want to. God has made me into the person that I am to be--and if I was like the next person, that would be so very boring.

Thus, I want to make you all absolutely aware of the girl whose blog that you read. You might end up being disappointed with the "image" I represent....but honestly, that's the way it goes sometimes. But for others, I don't think you will be surprised.


1.) I don't wear skirts all the time NOR do I think it is the only way to represent modesty and femininity. I have two pairs of pants that I abolutely love--and I have several blouses that I love to wear with them. Pants also make me look taller and I like that.

2.) I am a sports person. What with it being college football season and all, it is that time of year that I pull out my oversized Boise State Broncos shirt and wear it proudly. I get emphatic about games, missed field goals, and the lot =) And I don't stop at college football. I like Nascar, golf, baseball.....it's not feminine, but it is who I am

3.) I am a cooking fanatic--I love watching the Food Network and figuring out all of the new things that I want to make. I subscribe to three, soon to be four, cooking magazines; I am part of a cookbook club.

4.) As it relates to politics, I have determined that I am Conservative Republican and not a Conservative Conservative. I don't like people who make outbursts during someone's speech....you know what I am talking about. I actually have a few nice things to say about President Obama =) Not about his policies, but about him in general, just so you know.

5.) My family are movie junkies. Every night, yes, every night, we all sit down and watch a classic movie together. Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Bette Davis, and so many others are like family friends that we know and love. But we also don't stop at movies. We love classic TV shows and even a nowadays one or two. Like tonight, we will all be watching the finale of America's Got Talent with both eyes glued on the screen. My family isn't of the opinion that you should "throw out the baby with the bathwater," as the saying goes; there can be some good out there.

6.) I am also a major country music fan. While Carrie Underwood is one of my personal favorites, I love George Strait, Brad Paisley, and even a Taylor Swift or two. And while I constantly play Christian music (Steven Curtis Chapman is my favorite there) I don't stop with that. Frank Sinatra is always on....and I am even liking soft rock. =)

7.) Like my Mom said, she is a short hair fan.....and so am I. I don't like wearing long hair and I also liking having a style. I don't think long hair is the only way to look feminine.

I could go on and on--but the purpose of my post is this--we aren't to live in a box that is "one size fits all." God leads and guides people in so many different directions. Which leads me to you all. Comment and tell me what you thought about "my confessions." And then, share about yourself--give me a glimpse into who you really are.

12 comments:

Patti said...

I absolutely LOVE this post!!! You (and Jasmine) both say it well...we are all different from one another, with different preferences and tastes. And (here's my soapbox statement) different doesn't mean wrong!!! Different just means....different!

For far too long, our family felt like we had to do or not do certain things. We were always jumping through hoops, trying to fit into the box a certain person expected us to fit into. Only thing is, you CAN'T please all the people all the time. What one person thinks you should (or shouldn't do) is often different from what another person thinks. So, like chameleons, we kept changing...and before you know it, we didn't even know who we were or what we liked.

I'm so thankful that we have been freed from that little box and that we have realized that there are MANY ways to live out our Christian lives.

I readily admit to your blog readers that I love the music of Frank Sinatra and country music, even though many in the conservative Christian homeschooling community might think I "shouldn't listen to that."

Love,
Mom

Patti said...

I forgot to say...I also wear (and like) my hair fairly short, something many in the conservative Christian homeschooling community frown upon.

Patti said...

I can't believe I'm leaving another comment on this post. Obviously, it stuck a chord with me.

Anyhow, family size is another way conservative Christian homeschooling families are expected to fit into a certain box. That box should have 6 or more children, shouldn't it? It certainly shouldn't just have 2. We've been judged by other families as "playing God" since we have only 2 children. However, God, who does not stay in the box, sometimes closes wombs. He doesn't give all conservative families extremely large quivers, and it is a mistake to assume that all conservative Christian homeschooling families will fit into that box. Sometimes they don't, and that hurts enough. It's like salt in the wounds when you are "judged out" because your family isn't the right size.

Love,
Mom

Anna Naomi said...

Good post! I don't have time to leave a longer comment, but I do have to say that none of what you said surprised me! I am glad you are spreading the word that homeschoolers don't fit into one mold. We're all different shapes and sizes with different tastes, praise God! If we were all the same, it would be boring!

Anonymous said...

As you know, dear Ella....to sort of bounce off of what you said.. we just don't care what people think and are accountable to the Lord-not peers. You're right-there is no 'perfection' mold for every facet of our lives. The Lord leads everyone in different ways.

Great post!! And I want to see your new haircut one of these days. :)

Mia said...

A few things about me that doesn't neccesarily fit "the mold":

* I love wearing vintage clothes..I like to go for the "19th century" inspired look, which can really stand out.

*We aren't a large family(3 children) the youngest being 11. So because my siblings and I are 'older', we don't go to all the homeschooling fieldtrips, co-ops, park days, etc.

*I too love the FoodNetwork! :)

~Mia

Sara said...

TAYLOR SWIFT! Hahahaha! Love ya! Can't wait to see you!

Jenna said...

Amen! We all have different preferences and likes and that is not bad!! What we have to remember, is not to make things a "law" and judge others if they don't conform to your thinking, I think that this is often a problem in our culture.

Anyways, I"m not your typical girly girl...don't take me wrong, I do embrace femininity.

Here's a few things about me~

- I wear skirts almost every day...not because it is a law, or because anybody said I have to, but simply because I love them;)

- I have long hair (not the stringy kind lol!). I get it trimmed, but a longer hair style works best for my hair texture.

- I choose not to wear make-up

- I would rather be in the barn than at a party! I love my animals

- aprons are a favorite!

- I'm a strange mix of femininity and farmgirl combined...most people can't figure me out;)

God Bless you Ella! This was a great post and reminder, that One Size DOESN"T fit all!!!

Jasmine Baucham said...

I so enjoyed reading this, Ella ~I'm pleased you found me "quoteable." =)

Let's see, what's different about me:

1. Musical taste (which I already covered on my blog =D

2. I love to watch Food Network, but I'm more the cook-to-live kind of gal ~it's not a pastime for me.

3. I don't wear skirts every single day; I wear jeans almost equally these days.

4. I'm not a sports person in general, but I *love* to listen to ESPN on the radio almost as much as I like to listen to FOX news (quite strangely =).

Ella said...

I thank you all for your thoughts. I will confess, I got better reactions than I had anticipated!

We are all very different young women....as it should be =)

Michaela W. said...

Ella, I absolutely LOVED your post! I think all homeschoolers/Christians can relate to the "one size fits all" stereotype thrust upon them. Although it can get annoying to have to explain over and over that my family follows convictions that are God given and different from the next family, it is also a good opportunity to share what does unite most homeschoolers- a heart for God and His glory.
I liked your "breaking out of the mold" list- you go girl!=) Here are some things about me that may not be typical....
(1. I am a creation science fanatic! I LOVE Answers magazine and have a shelf LOADED with young earth/creation books.
(2. my "wilder" selection of music includeds some Hawk Nelson, some Switchfoot and TobyMac!
(3.I enjoy experimenting with and wearing make up. I have nothing against it, unless applied too heavily!
(4. Honestly, I love my cell phone and although I don't text 24/7, I still do it and enjoy it! :)
(5.move over Mr. Darcy!! Mr. Knightley is my favorite Austen hero. And nothing beats the BBC version of "Pride and prejudice."
(5. I don't think sewing and gardening are necessary attributes of godly womanhood. =P (Cause I'm sadly lacking in both...)
(6. Although I wear dresses most of the time, I own jeans that I wear occasionally. I'm not scandalized by girls in pants at all (unless too short or tight- then I'm more disgusted than scandalized.)
That's the abridged list.=) Thanks for addressing this topic with absolute honesty. it's very encouraging to know there are other godly young ladies struggling with the same "issues."
God bless!
P.S. Sorry for the looong comment.=}

Jessica McDonald said...

AMEN!!!!

And I'm SOOO relieved to know that I'm not the only Country Music fan! I got a huge amount of ridicule from some Christian young ladies for liking a Taylor Swift song (I'm Only Me When I'm With You) and you have no idea what a breath of fresh air it is to read this post and no I'm not alone!!
Oh, and I love SCC too...I just wish he wasn't a tenor so I could sing with him! *grin*

We have such similar standards/likes...I LOVE IT.

Thank you!!