Sunday, October 04, 2009

Sporty Stories

Once upon a time, there was a young woman. She was not your ordinary young woman, for she enjoyed some things that were definitely more "masculine" in nature. She was a football fanatic--college football, that is. She knows when every game for her football team is and she would pull out the oversized orange shirt on every occasion.

Nothing would stop her from taking in a game.....even being slightly sick with a sinus infection. For the past two days, this girl had been down with a sore throat, stuffed up ears, and a runny nose. But when her dad got tickets from a business associate, she made herself go to the game. After all, she wasn't that bad....and who knows if she would get to go to another game this year.

So the girl and her dad drove into downtown, stopping and eating dinner before this game. (The girl will not go for the real experience and eat a hotdog; she hates hotdogs =) The two of them searched for a parking spot, which just so happened to be in the place where they always park....and along with 32,000 and more other fans, they went to the stadium.

The stadium is a well loved landmark in the state; it is known all over the country for its signature turf. And the team who is housed there is just as well loved (though mostly resepcted by its local fanbase) and currently ranked fifth in the country....it was assumed that these team was going to do what it does best--WIN.

Over the next sixty minutes, the girl and her dad teased each other, cheered on their team...and yes, even yelled at the quarterback occasionally. Mindful of her throat, the girl did not yell and get as energetic as much as she usually does...What should have been a blowout wasn't exactly a blowout, but the home team proved victorious and moved to 5 and 0!

The weather outside was freezing cold, so the walk back to the car was almost torture...especially for the sick girl. But it was a wonderful father/daughter time, complete with memories she will always remember.

This is a true story, as happened to me yesterday =) So, what about you all? Have you ever been to a sporting event? What was your experience like?

9 comments:

Jenna said...

First, I hope that you feel better soon!
Second, my Grandpa is a major league baseball coach...so naturally, I love a good baseball game:) He coaches in Venezuala in the Winter and Florida in the Summer. A couple years ago when he coached in MI, we went to every single home game and even some of the away games of that season!! Oh the memories - I shall never forget that year;)

Glad that you had a good time with your dad, Ella!

Blessings,
Jenna

Bonnie said...

Hi Ella! Sorry I have never been to a big sporting event like that, but I just wanted to say that I think your new blog template is very cute!! The red text is a little hard to read (the black is easier) but I love the flowers! :-)

Patti said...

Garrett and I had an equally fun time---watching our favorite, Gary Cooper!!!!

You wrote this post in such a fun way. Really cute!!

Love,
Mom

sarah elaine said...

Hello Ella!

Yes-- I have been to a sports event. Some members of our church went to Heinz Field in Pittsburgh for our pastor's son's high school football game.
It was fun-- but definitely C-O-L-D. =]

Sue said...

Glad you had a good time...and hope you feel better! Yes...been to MANY sporting events...I cheered for football in highschool...so lost count of those games. Hockey is the best...but cold! Tonight, Ron & Ronnie are going to skate on the Mellon Arena ice for the last time...under the Stanley Cup banner...right where all Ronnie's 'hockey heros' skate! He is so psyched! Can't wait to see you!

Neesie said...

That was so fun to read!

Last year I went to a Phillies game (of course) in late August. It was sooooo hot and we were sitting in an area that had NO overhead. I had no sunglasses with me and no water. So here I am....sweating buckets and squinting my eyes so that I could see. And to add to the scenario the people sitting directly behind me had obviously only come to drink and talk. I mean they talked the WHOLE time non-stop about nothing relating to baseball. Oh did I mention that they like to curse too? Hahaha...it WAS an experience. The Phillies did win so it made up for it. :-)

Katarina said...

I;m glad to know that I am not the only one out there who is crazy enough to go to a sporting event either while sick or in pain. :D

I once tried to convince my mom that Bronchitis wasn't bad enough to keep me home from watching the Astros with my Grandfather. I also walked three blocks half leaning on my dad half limping with a sprained ankle.

Hope you get better soon!

Ella said...

Thanks for telling me all of your stories, y'all! I enjoyed hearing about them!

Sara said...

I HAVE BEEN TO A PIRATE GAME!
and they lost :(

Oh well, they always lose... can't wait to see u!