
Like most of you, I made sure I tuned into Masterpiece Theatre's latest Jane Austen offering. Now, I could not finish it on Sunday evening (partly because I recorded it....and started watching it at 11 o'clock =) However, today was a different story; I got to finish the whole thing.
In doing so, various emotions coursed through my mind. What do I think of this Emma? Do I anticipate loving it as much as I currently love the Gwyneth Paltrow version? I have to admit, it is hard not to compare two vastly different films, especially when one is not finished.
I love the fact that this Emma is longer, thus allowing it to show more details and follow the path Jane Austen intended. (Like we are getting to see interactions with characters on a more "day to day" basis) I like certain aspects of this casting job; for instance, Ewan MacGregor is not my choice for Frank Churchill (I do like him....but not with long hair....) Michael Gambon takes the cake as Mr. Wodehouse. I can't think of anyone better.
But then, you have the questions: can Romola Garai fit the huge shoes that Gwyneth Paltrow left? And Jonny Lee Miller.....does he even deserve a chance against the dashing Jeremy Northam? What about the musical score; it has to battle with a score that won an Academy Award?
Don't get me wrong. I think I am liking this Emma thus far. I wouldn't say I love it yet.....but maybe I will grow to love it.....just like I love both versions of Sense and Sensibility. It took a while to get there; that will be the case here. But right now, I can't give an accurate grade.....can you?











9 comments:
Hi Ella,
I actually haven't seen the new Emma yet, but I hope to watch it sometime soon. I don't think it will take the place of the Gwyneth Paltrow version for me, but I'll have to see. :)
~ Much Love,
Lindsay
Well Ella-- I watched all of BBC Emma on youtube last year... and I LOVE LOVE LOVED it. I think I like Emma most out of all the Jane Austen movies, but then again, I've never seen/read Northanger Abbey or Mansfield Park.
Personally, from what I've seen of the Gwyneth Paltrow version (and I only saw the a bit of the first and last parts,)I think BBC has done a MUCH better job. Johnny Lee Miller as George Knightley is just hilarious. He's the king of the one-liners, in my brother Andrew's and my opinion.
I love this new Emma so far... So much more detail, which I believe is good. I love the actress they chose too. Yay for next Sunday! :)
Blessings... Love your blog!
Emily Anne
I've watched it, and it's not my favorite. And I, like you, am an Austen film afficionado. =)Somehow Emma is too flighty and silly and Mr. Knightly is too YOUNG....but my favorite version is the very long, very ancient BBC version, can't remember the date right now.
Out of all the new Austen adaptions this one comes in second as my favorite. Northanger Abbey being my first favorite, of course. :D
I really like Ramola Garai, she's been fabulous in all the movies I've seen her in and Johnny Lee Miller is pretty good though not quite as good as Jeremy Northam. :)
Whatever guy plays Frank Churchill is LOADS better then Ewan McGregor (who I like as well, if he'd just chop off that horrid haystack-looking hair. Ugh.). But Frank is supposed to be charming and McGregor did not come across that way to me. He annoyed me to no end. lol.
Anyway, I really loved it. :) I can't wait to hear your final verdict on it!
Love, Jessica
Gwyneth Paltrow is the only Emma for me, but as far as the entire movies go they are both good in different ways.
How can you compare this knightely to the old one? There is no comparison! The other one was a stingy old dude with a big nose and a ego to match. I like these people alot better, also because Emma looks younger.
I've only seen the first episode, but so far I've loved it!:) Romola is "the" Emma for me. I personally prefer her to Paltrow by a LONG shot.
Don't think that I don't love the '96 version, but I have a feeling that this Emma will be my favorite.;)
I still haven't decided who's my favorite Knightley JN was awesome, but JLM is pretty good too, I'll just have to wait & see!=) But so far, the costumes, the soundtrack, ect, has been awesome.:)
Ella,
I watched the whole thing on YouTube a while back, and while I did enjoy it, it can't even compare to the '96 version in my (not-so-humble read-the-book-at-least-twice-every-year, constantly-comparing-the-movies-throughout-my-viewing...) opinion. =D
But then, I didn't care for Romola Garai or Jonny Lee Miller when the casting decisions were made waaaaay back, so I was already a little bit biased on main character choices. And while I love Michael Gambon as an actor, I didn't think he was true to Mr. Woodhouse as he ought to be -would it be horrid to say that he brought a little too much depth to the character? =)
Still, all in all, I enjoyed seeing a longer version. But I haven't had the urge to watch it again, which is usually my first inclination when it comes to Austen movies.
Post a Comment