I have come a long way. There was a time when I could never have imagined doing a post like this. It was a time in which I believed modesty carried a definition of "No Curves Must Show--Shoulders Must Be Covered--Shape is Out, Shapeless is In"...the list could go on and on.Now I have standards and convictions on what a woman should and should not wear. (Like I really have a problem with women exploiting their bodies in Victoria Secret commericals and in skimpy bikinis) But when it comes to events such as the Golden Globes, I feel a freedom to admit that I can like a one-shoulder dress....or even something strapless. Doesn't mean I will wear it, but it means that I am not legalistic anymore.
For the first time, I am doing a post with some of my favorite fashions that hit the Red Carpet last night at the Golden Globe Awards. I am very different in what I like from bloggers and fashionistas...but hey, I don't have a problem with that. I might not be familiar with the actress' works, I might not have even know who they are....it is still fun anyway.
**An Important Note** Please do not think I condone showing cleavage and flaunting your body. Because I don't. The sole purpose of this post is to have fun =)
Above is Julia Stiles in a one-shouldered black dress. I have come to the realization that I like the mermaid style (fitted at the top, flared at the bottom) I appreciate no clevage is showing. Trust me, there was enough of THAT yesterday.


I would say my favorite looks were worn by Hailee Stienfeld and Carrie Underwood. Hailee is new to Hollywood--her first role was in the remake of "True Grit" (which is fabulous, by the way)--yet she looks like she belongs. It is so refreshing to see someone who dresses her age and is modest....yet fashionable.
Carrie, in my opinion, always looks good. I am not a fan of the sweetheart neckline (like what she is wearing) but the dress itself is FAB! Classiness is a common accessory Carrie wears....and I think she made country music proud last night (even though she didn't win for Best Original Song).
Color was only semi-prevalant last night. Green was a common color, though I wasn't crazy about any of the dresses. (Well, Catherine Zeta Jones's was really nice, but I didn't post it.) I like the color to be found on Emma Stone's dress--she is the one in the peach. (Although her movie, "Easy A", you wouldn't catch me watching at ALL. And I found Jenna Ushkowitz (from "Glee" fame) in the blue super cute as well. I love when curls cover up the fact that someone is wearing strapless--it is deceptively modest ;-) Emma, I can tell, has a bare back--which I would never do, but no cleavage ;-)


More Below...............


Okay, two of the most controversial of ones I liked. Eva Longoria (in the black) is for obvious reasons--I am a cleavage hater. But I love the shape of the dress, the flared skirt with its train.....oh, if only the top would be higher up.
And Christina Hendricks (of "Mad Men"--which I don't watch either) is in red. Red is one of those statement colors. It used to be considered a "fast" color. Which is a shame....because I wear it all the time. I hate the hair--would have been prettier in an up-do--but in the midst of creams and blacks, this is a perfect pop of much needed color.
Lastly, there are the two dresses that channeled Old Hollywood. And if you didn't know it before, I LOVE the Golden Era of Film. Dianna Argon (of "Glee") is one of my absolutely favorites....maybe even more than Hailee and Carrie. There is just something about this dress I love. On me, I would have had MUCH higher strapless and a different color that wouldn't wash me out.....but that is me.
Lastly, there are the two dresses that channeled Old Hollywood. And if you didn't know it before, I LOVE the Golden Era of Film. Dianna Argon (of "Glee") is one of my absolutely favorites....maybe even more than Hailee and Carrie. There is just something about this dress I love. On me, I would have had MUCH higher strapless and a different color that wouldn't wash me out.....but that is me.
The last outfit is Milia Jocovich (of whom I have no idea). I do know that I love the hair swept to the side and the style of the dress. It just screams classy at me.
You might have thought it stupid, a fashion post on a blog that mainly wants to talk about what God is teaching me. Yet in a way, it is........the Lord is reminding me yet again of how I am letting legalism go while still managing to keep standards high. I didn't get to this place on my own......but by God's grace!











7 comments:
I didn't watch the Golden Globes last night, but these dresses are gorgeous!! I understand what you mean with the whole legalism thing...been there done that. I think it's great we've both found our balance with it though. ;)
Sara, I do think we have both found a balance....and it has been a joy and pleasure to have journeyed the road with you. Lots of love, friend!!
:) What a fun post. Since we chatted quite late last night, I'll just say that we agree on the majority of points of fashion critique...and there were many beautiful gowns reminiscent of Old Hollywood that I LOVED!
I didn't watch, but I agree that these dresses are gorgeous! The mermaid fit I've always been a little undecided on, but I'm gravitating toward it more. Julia Stiles' one-shouldered black number is my favorite of the gowns you included... good choices! :) God is good to those that keep him at the forefront of their minds, and it's obvious that you have and do!
I didn't watch, but I agree that these dresses are gorgeous! The mermaid fit I've always been a little undecided on, but I'm gravitating toward it more. Julia Stiles' one-shouldered black number is my favorite of the gowns you included... good choices! :) God is good to those that keep him at the forefront of their minds, and it's obvious that you have and do!
Ahem. Excuse the double comment. ;) :P
I love what you said about how we can let legalism go, but keep our standards high. Will you be coming into Pittsburgh this summer? Hopefully I'll be able to see you then. :)
Post a Comment