Friday, May 11, 2012

Even From Them

I'm a night owl. I always have been. Supposedly, when I was a newborn, I would not fall asleep unless I was put into my baby swing and the TV was turned on. Mom and Dad would fall asleep in couches as I watched the Tonight Show and even more bizarre early morning fare.

I have carried this philosophy into adulthood. Well, not the Tonight Show part. When most people are content to be asleep, I want to watch TV. It's the only time I can actually watch my TV shows like Castle, Bones, and Revenge (I rarely watch anything live). However, I have nights where I cannot sleep, so I watch odd choices. On one such night, I actually watched an episode of "Kourtney and Kim Take New York." Yes. I hate to admit that I watched something involving the overexposed Kardashians....but in the interest of full honesty and disclosure (and the point of this post), I am telling the absolute truth.

I did not come away with loving the Kardashian family. I don't understand their claim to fame, they do next to nothing in their daily lives, they have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I'm tired of them pushing themselves down America's throats. Certain sisters I can tolerate more than one clearly obvious pick *cough-Kim-cough*. However, in an hours worth of "entertainment" (more like shaking my head at the sheer absurdity of this family having four shows on television), I discovered that I had inspiration for a blog post.

Isn't it funny how God uses seemingly the least logical examples to get his points across? Trust me, I did not expect to learn a life lesson from a Kardashian...even if it is how to be DIFFERENT than these women. That is just one of the many ways in which God brings me to my knees at His sheer greatness. He has an agenda for my life that far exceeds my own. And if He wants to teach me something, God is going to use whatever means necessary to get his point across. As long as I am teachable, I can learn....even from Kourtney, Kim, and Khloe.

I'm resolved to pay even better attention to the learning opportunities that the Lord sends my way. I want to be one hundred percent pliable to the Lord's ideas for me. So, what was it about the Kardashians that I learned? Well, you will have to read another post to find out!

But I encourage you to be open as well to where God takes you. You never know at what time of day it will be or where it will lead....but when it is for God's ultimate glory, you have no reason to shirk away. What has God been teaching YOU lately?

3 comments:

Patti said...

Yes, God can speak to our hearts through any means He chooses...even through those people and situations where we least expect it.

The ultimate lesson God has been instilling upon my heart lately is that "what is impossible with man, is possible with God."

Love,
Mom

Charity said...

I used to be a night owl. But now that my body has volunteered without my consent to wake me up at 6am every day without fail, I had to give it up.

You can learn something from just about everyone. Whether it's a good trait or a bad one is yet to be decided. ;)

Rissi said...

*High Five*

From one fellow "night owl" to another. ;D (Watching "The Tonight Show" on occasion is kind of fun though, right!? LOL)

Like you, I am quite annoyed with the Kardashian's. They seem so... self-centered. As Charity said though, we can learn from many different situations: We simply had to discern the good from the bad.