Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Selection--A Book Review


Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Published Date: 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

America Singer has a choice before her, a choice that can change her future forever. All she would have to do is enter "the selection," a contest in which thirty-six girls compete for the love  of Crown Prince Maxon of Illyea. If chosen, America could elevate her position and become a One, the highest rank in society. Or America could stay a Five, the artist caste in which you barely have enough to eek out a living. However, if she were to stay at home, America could marry the love of her life, Aspen. Problem is, he is of a station below her and her mother, and society, doesn't take too highly to that. What is she to do?

Events cause America to enter her name into the selection, little thinking that she would be on of the thirty-six finalists...but she is. She is taken to the Capitol, given maids and new clothes, and surrounded by others competing for the love of Maxon. For America, that isn't her goal. She's only here because she has to be. And she wants to get out of the Capitol alive, which isn't an easy feat considering that the North AND the South are both trying to invade and take over. However, as time progresses, America develops a friendship with Maxon. And Aspen seems ever so far away. What live *is* America destined to live?

*******************************************************************

I first heard about this book through Pinterest and then, Rissi reviewed it. A book that was dubbed a mash-up of "The Hunger Games" and "The Bachelor"....I mean, come on, this was something I had to read. However, even if I hadn't read it, I think the cover art would totally have tempted me. Yes, I am a sucker for fancy, couture dresses.

I believe that this series, of which The Selection is the first book of an expected trilogy, has tremendous potential. Indeed, there is a lot of room for the characters to grow and adapt. America bears a lot of similarities to Katniss Everdeen in that they are both young women who want something different out of life than what life has dubbed for them. They want to be able to move around if they so choose, marry who they might desire, etc. They also are heroines that live against a post apocalyptic backdrop of America. It's eerie in a way how spot on the demise of the United States is chronicled in The Selection. It could make actual sense =( However, in some ways I liked America more than Katniss in that I saw parallels to Elizabeth Bennett, Jane Austen's amazing heroine. How you might ask? Well, America isn't afraid to say what she thinks--just like Elizabeth and frankly, a little like myself sometimes.

As to "The Bachelor" comparisons, they are there in catty women, fancy dresses, "one on one dates" and "group dates." But no red roses or Chris Harrison (thank goodness =P)

Some have complained that the book is ill written; I disagree. It isn't Austen or Hawthorne, but it's a current teen read. Did one really expect something different. I believe that the book flows properly and to me, the dialogue isn't horribly stilted. There, yes, are moments where it slogs; you wish for it to have a little more action...but I believe that will come in future books. It's going to be a series that doesn't throw "punch after punch" like The Hunger Games and instead, it will progress naturally. However, I see a bunch of action coming in future books what with impending war and such.

I have heard/read that this book might become a series on the CW so as this book gets more and more popular, it is going to fall prey to the "which team are you on" question. Just like Team Edward and Team Jacob, Team Peeta or Team Gale--there will be Team Maxon or Team Aspen. And I think I am going to be on the minority side ;-) Ah well....I look forward to seeing how that progresses as well.

To those of you who have read the book, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about it!

Ella

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another friend of mine recently read this one and enjoyed it as well -- thanks for your review! And I LOVE that cover too! :)

Rissi said...

Well said, Ella. You have a great "handle" on this book. I thought it was enchanting and MUCH improved over HG. In talking about it, I realized that it wasn't action-packed like HG but then I did forget about all the rebels and war talk! That alone creates excitement. ;-)

Right now I like Maxon better because he seems to have more respect for America where Aspen doesn't but I may change my mind. Either way, I cannot wait for The Elite! And the CW show - it is being made now but there are rumors it may never air. :-/

Thanks bunches for the link!