Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Paying It Forward



We live in a selfish society. I hate that that is the case. I like to believe that people really do care about others....but I know that is just the romanticism talking. We're a "me first" society--hence why blog commenting is down, but that is not the point of this post ;-)

I try to be a person that enjoys making other people happy. I don't know if it has to do with my personality type. Or if it is just because I love giving gifts. Or maybe I just prefer seeing smiles over frowns. All I know is that one of the ways I show love is by giving gifts to people. When I say that I could care less about getting one in return, I mean that with one hundred percent sincerity.

Recently, I had the opportunity to bless a little girl who had adenoid, tonsil, and ear tube removal surgery. She's a little girl who has captured my heart in my ways that I cannot even begin to describe. Well, when her mom told me that her daughter struggles with panic attacks, and going to the hospital was intensifying them, I remembered back to a time in my past and a time when someone blessed me. I was ten years old and about to have surgery to reset my broken arm that was breaking through the skin (yeah, it wasn't a pretty sight.) I was the girl who asked all of the doctors that I encountered if I would wake up from the anesthesia and while all of them said I would, there wasn't one that made me feel better. (They also didn't look like McSteamy, but I digress)

But then, one of my Sunday School teachers came by and brought me this little stuffed bunny rabbit. It was a little thing and yet, it made me feel better. I felt loved and the stuffed animal reminded me of home. Even though prayers helped, having this little thing made a difference for my scared mind. I guess it was subconsciously, but I filed away in my mind doing such a thing someday. And twelve years later, I was given that opportunity.

I got this little girl an adorable tiger and brought a smile to her face this Sunday. I also made her mother bawl her eyes out. I tried to tell her that I was just "paying it forward" and wanting to show the Lord's love to her....but I'm not sure if she picked up on that. I do know, though, that it made me so happy to see them so happy. That's all the gratitude and "tooting of my own horn" that I need.

I don't share this story to make y'all praise me. I want to give y'all some food for thought. We can bring about small changes by our actions. Look for opportunities to pay it forward. Do something that brings a smile to one's face. Trust me, it will bring a smile to yours.

Ella

5 comments:

Charity said...

This post convinces me you're the perfect person to ask something rather important --

Mom and I found out a women in our church doesn't have anyone to give her Christmas presents. This made both of us very sad. She buys presents for other people (like her Goddaughters) but never is given anything herself!

We want to get a bunch of little things, put them in a basket, an give them to her this Christmas, but we need ideas as to what to put in the basket (beyond tea, sachets, etc). What would YOU give her?

Rissi said...

SO true, Ella - and I love that you wrote about this topic. We need to focus our energies on others and not ourselves.

Grace said...

That's a wonderful blessing, Gabrielle. It is hard to keep serving people sometimes, especially when it doesn't get noticed. (again "me-first" mind set) Thanks for the encouragement!
Grace

Patti said...

The "Golden Rule" tells us to do unto others as we would have them do unto us.

Sadly, in our society, people do to others what has been done to them, rather than what they would have done to them.

So, I see reaching out to others and showing love and compassion as following Jesus's Golden Rule command. Who among us wouldn't love to be given a thoughtful, caring gift. Our hearts would feel so full, as if Jesus himself had touched us. And therein is the point, we are His hands! You were, as our dear friend Evelyn always says, "Jesus with skin on" to that little girl and her mom.

Anonymous said...

Gabrielle! I don't know if you will remember me - we were blog-buddies for a while. I found a letter you had sent me while going through some old journals the other day. I'm trying to get back into the blogging world again... I miss it very much. So glad to see you are doing well and enjoying life in the Lord. You are just as beautiful as ever!

Stop by my blog again sometime.
www.alabastergrace.com :)

Have a wonderful day, friend.

Kaysie