Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Smells of Christmas



There are so many things that are synonymous with Christmastime: your postal carrier arriving late because he has so many deliveries; Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" and Burl Ives' "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" playing on the radio....almost one too many times. There is the Christmas wrapping paper and twinkling lights and the smell of evergreen. However, my personal favorite are the smells of holiday baking.

My love of baking and cooking has been heavily documented. And I don't just do it around Christmastime. But it seems like when December rolls around, the sound of mixers whirring away seems to be much more acute. It's the ingredients like ginger, cinnamon, and peppermint that find their way into every dish....it's just a great time of year.

As you might have noticed, my blog has been rather quiet. I'm not going to lie, when I haven't been working or doing a little bit of schoolwork, I have found my time doing things of the Christmas variety. You know, like shopping....and spending too much money =) and being in the kitchen. In fact, this past Tuesday and Wednesday, you would have found my mom and myself deep in eggs, flour, and sugar.

I wish smellovision was something real and in my possession, because I would love nothing more than sharing a glimpse into my home. We have chocolate covered potato chips, chocolate turtle thumbprints, eggnog thumbprints, ginger cookies, authentic Italian rainbow cookies, waffle cookies, lemon drop cookies, shortbread.....gosh, we have oh so much. And I know I am forgetting some.

And then you have Christmas day coming up. The smell of ham mixed with the cheddar broccoli casserole I have had for years and years....not to mention the peppermint cheesecake that is our family tradition.....my mouth salivates thinking about it. I cannot imagine what life would be like if I was not in possession of my sense of smell. It means the world to me.

So, what are some of your favorite smells of Christmas? And do you ever find yourself thankful that Christmas--and all of its junk food gloriousness--only comes once a year? Who knows where we would be if we ate like this every single day?! LOL
Ella

2 comments:

Patti said...

It is so funny how certain scents can transport you to another place and time. (Sometimes good, sometimes bad, as with the scent of patchouli.)

I love the smell of evergreen at Christmas. Too bad I am allergic to the pine, though, and can't really ENJOY the scent on an ongoing, long-term basis.

It was fun baking with you. Thanks for letting me in to your kitchen!!

Love,
Mom

Rissi said...

I am not a cookie maker. In fact, I grumbled quite a lot about it this past week when I was baking/decorating them. Somehow, it all worked out after dropped trays of cookies, broken cookies and failed attempts at new recipes! At least, there was still more than enough. ;)

Love your closing sentence: Good question!