Friday, December 07, 2012

The Same Issues


It's a black hole kind of feeling, one that knocks you off of your feet and leaves you breathless. You thought you were over this problem; you thought you had gained victory...and it only took a matter of seconds for you to realize that you're not. Memories rise to the surface; you try to drive them back into the darkest recesses that you would rather not visit again. You feel walls closing in around you; every negative thought supercedes every positive one. You attempt to climb out of the black hole but rather, you keep sinking deeper and deeper into it. And your finite and sinful humanness is made all the more real.

Or so it is for me anyway ;-) But let me backtrack a second....

This blog post has been stewing around in my brain for the past several weeks. I have known that it was one that the Lord wanted me to write. Who knows why....I mean, willingly diving back into your black hole to share one's story isn't exactly therapeutic! ;-) And talking about my inner demons isn't the happiest of tales. But they are as much a part of me as the good bits, the sports loving bits, the love of baking bits of my soul. These negative attributes are a part of my story and they always serve to teach me something, if nothing more than to knock me on my rear and show me just how far I have to improve.

My biggest inner demon is that of jealousy/trusting issues. I have struggled with it as far back as I can remember...ever since I was a little girl. My teenage years are mostly riddled with snippets of being dumped because I was no longer cool, and every time I opened myself up to trusting again, the cycle would repeat itself. Honestly, I came to a point where I wanted zero people in my life; after all, when you aren't around people, no one can hurt you. You stay in a safe bubble away from the black holes that threaten to suffocate you. It's a much more comfortable place to be.

I have opened myself up since those painful days, but it doesn't take much for scars to feel just as fresh as the day they were created. All it takes is a casual word spoken--or sometimes not spoken--for the past to come rushing back. I immediately see visions of being dumped all over again. Even if I know deep down what is truth. Taunts can be so much more louder than the Voice of Truth. This past week, my spiritual battle combating this has seemed to be a constant thing....and I know that I haven't won every battle. In fact, a few times I have given in and let the black hole swallow me. It's been kind of bad.

It's not something I'm proud of. Frankly, I would love nothing more than to only share happy stories on this blog. But maybe, out in this big wide expanse called "the internet", my honesty might resonate with someone. Because maybe you are fighting--and sometimes losing--the spiritual battles over certain sin issues that you have been called to wage. Maybe you think you finally have the problem under control only to see, quite obviously, that you don't.....More than anything, I want people to know that they are not alone on this road. This messy, cloudy, storming, "you know there is light at the end of the tunnel but you just don't always see it" type of road.

There is nothing I would love more than to be a "whole" person. What would that be like, being a person who didn't struggle with self-doubt and trust? Why was I called to walk down this path? A part of the answer I found (and I know I won't find the whole answer until Heaven) ties in with this Christmas season we are in: God knew it was the biggest way to show me just how much I need Him, that Babe in the manger. I am reminded of how much of a role sin plays in my life--and how much I need a Savior. I need a Baby who offers grace for each time I fall, who offers strength to pull me out of my black hole....and who holds my hand and wipes away my tears even when I don't have the strength to combat the lies anymore.

I could say that one day I will get a handle on these issues of mine, but who knows if there is a complete guarantee of that. I never will become a super human with zero problems; I'll never be that picture perfect Christian who appears to never doubt or struggle. I'm just me. I'm classy with a dash of quirk, as this blog is aptly named--and that quirk encompasses the scars I have. They play a part into who I am. But so does the redemption part of my tale, the gift of Christmas part. There is a promise of one day, tears will be wiped away; no one will ever give me cause to feel pain. It's a beautiful promise.

And so that is why, with God's amazing help and grace, I aim towards climbing out of the black hole of doubt one more time.

Ella

8 comments:

Charity said...

I was seven years old the first time my "friends" dumped me -- because there was a new boy at church, and he was apparently much more desirable to be around than I was. I don't really remember it, but Mom said I stood there with this baffled, hurt look on my face and didn't know what to do. Sitting me down and explaining to me that sometimes people aren't trustworthy is something she regrets not doing at the time.

I know it's wrong, but sometimes I just assume people will be untrustworthy and a flake, until they prove me wrong. It's easier than having expectations to be dashed. Doesn't mean I don't get angry when someone stands me up, though. =P

Charity said...

PS: You never have to wonder with me. I'm completely reliable. If I say I'll do something, I'll do it. If I promise to be there, I'll be there. So know that I'm one person you never have to battle self-doubt with. =)

Patti said...

This is a beautifully-written post! You are an awesome writer!

You know---from seeing it play out earlier this week---that I, too, have the same old issues coming up again and again. I can think I have come to terms with something, only to have an incident come up out of the blue and show me that I really don't.

I have often wondered, "Why me? Why did I have to get dealt this card?" I've come to realize that I will probably never have the answer to that question. Some things we will just have to accept, without ever understanding why.

I love you,
Mom

Livia Rachelle said...

Yeah, I have never been a cool girl (and I was/am pretty obnoxious), and now I don't want to be be and don't want to be forced to fit others expectations. I was also shy and reaaaly awkward (some of my five younger siblings would be quick to point out that I still am). I would rather avoid people than be hurt or judged or criticized. I understand I have things to work on, but sometimes that bleeds into other's wrong labeling peer pressure problems. I think quality rather than quantity of friends is better, and if I only have a few friends that accept me then that is fine. I don't think we should automatically trust people--it needs to be earned, but I think a neutral attitude is possible. People are so hard to deal with :P

Rissi said...

You aren't the only one who has struggled with this, Ella so don't feel bad - we all have to work through "demons."

I never had opportunity to experience being "dumped" by friends because I was home-schooled and wasn't involved in the social rat race - something I am beyond grateful for! Most of the friends I had in our home-school group are relationships that didn't stick for various reasons.

I hope you are okay now and realize you are great just the way you are - seriously you have such a sweet spirit. Know that in life, our doubts and being hard on ourselves is just human nature, but it doesn't last forever. :)

Anna Naomi said...

Love you, dear friend. Beautifully written, from the heart, though a painful subject I know. But God wants us to be real, and through that He can bring freedom to us and hope to others. Thanks for glorifying Him in this!

Jessica McDonald said...

How did I miss this post?

Well, I'm pretty sure that you know my heart - I've told you time and again how much you mean to me. It's nothing that you do or don't do - you can't lose my friendship because I have committed to being your friend and because of that I always will be until you don't want me to be anymore.

I love you, Gabrielle. <3

Arielle Melody Bailey said...

Did this post ever strike a chord with me!!!

I have not had many experiences with friends dumping me but I've struggled with trust issues for YEARS. I do not trust easily, for my own protection. Yes, it means I thus minimize the chances of being hurt, but it also means I miss out on many things. The worst thing about it is, it extends to my relationship with God and I often have problems 'letting go and letting God'.

Thank you so much for sharing this Ella! You have reminded me once again that I am not alone and others are struggling, too.

God's blessings be with you as you also walk this path.