Sunday, October 13, 2013

Feelings of Acceptance

Picture courtesy of Melinda....and it's minus a few people =)

I sat back and silently sipped my sangria. All I wanted to do was survey the scene around me. Burgers, fries, milkshakes, beers, Long Island iced teas, sangrias....all of it was on the table. Laughter was in the air. The most random of conversation threads would ensue only to be met with another one. The table was so long, I couldn't carry on a conversation except with those closest in proximity to me.

But it didn't matter. I still felt like this group accepted me--liked me--for who I was. They did not change who they were to impress me and I didn't have to change to impress them. They were themselves; all they did was just add me into the mix.

It had been that way all week. At the rehearsal dinner the evening before, I took some time getting acclimated to everyone. Thankfully, I had begun to gradually meet people on Thursday or else I would be have been in over my head. (The introverted side coming out ;)) I could carry on conversations...although I do think the double shot of espresso that I had had helped with that. Just being a part of a group again was enough.

Those feelings. Once upon a time they had been a part of my life. But they hadn't been....and still aren't....for many years. Leaving churches because of false teachings is a good thing (a VERY good thing) but it also caused "friends" to fall by the wayside. Church "shopping" doesn't really allow for relationship development. And while I enjoy my church now, I feel most accepted by 3-6 year olds. Young adults who think with the same Biblical worldview as I do, have the same standards and background as I do, who want to have fun but in a healthy way like I do.....they just don't exist in my circles. They're not visible. I will not go into the reasons why. =)

Being a Christian, homeschool educated, CollegePlus doing, wife/mother/writer desiring girl has its good points....but it also makes it very hard to feel accepted sometimes. People constantly judge my choices, choices that I know God has led me to (but are against the norm BIG TIME). I know the looks. I know the comments. I get it here all the time.

I do have dear friends; they just all live states away from me. So hanging out with 18-26 year old guys and girls over food and fellowship...it reminded me of what I have been missing for so many years.

Community. 

Who knows. I probably scared half of the people I met away....=) But hopefully, they know how grateful I am. Grateful that for one weekend, I felt like a part of a family again. I felt like I belonged. I felt like I seamlessly fit right in....and I hadn't felt that way in a long time. It's one of the many reasons why I want to go back and see these people again. Was it just in the "spirit of the day?" Or was it more than that? I'd like to think it was the latter. (And it probably was, so one of my dearest friends will tell me)

So to everyone who made me feel one of the gang:
*For driving me back to the airport
*For making jokes about my height
*For talking about name pronunciations
*For convincing me what drinks to get
*For the Starbucks run when I desperately needed one
*For the random Pinterest memes
*For the talks about higher education
*For the TV show comments and "role ideas"
*To the guys who treated me with respect and courtesy (yet were fun at the same time)
*To the girls who weren't mean girls by ANY stretch of the imagination but were instead some of the best around
*For the laughter and the hugs

Thank you. It meant more than you will ever know.

Ella

5 comments:

Jessica McDonald said...

Thank YOU for being so friendly, open and accepting of US. I know for a fact that we all loved that time spent with you (and Miriam!) and want it to happen again SOON. So come visit us! It may not be as exciting as that particular evening, but I promise you'll be warmly welcomed. <3<3

Patti said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience. I know meeting new people isn't always easy; in fact, entering circles where you know no one (or maybe 1 person), yet everyone else knows one another, can be very painful. You can feel isolated and unwanted.

Obviously, that group of people exhibits Jesus's heart. What a blessing!

Tara Janelle said...

Awww, this is so sweet!! I've just experience the church shopping in the past year, so I can totally relate to being the "odd one out" and the pain of meeting more and more people - but I'm so glad that you were able to be there at the wedding, and that we could meet you, and have so much fun talking and laughing together!!

Thanks for being so sweet, and opening up to all of us too! And for being another "Doctor Who" basher at the table... ;)

Hope to see you again soon!

Ryan & Anna Wolfe said...

So glad you got to experience this! Community is such a blessing... and I know how it goes to have more friends younger than you than the same age. But, thankful you had a time to experience great community, and praying for much more to come! Also, grateful for the community we have from afar, and get to enjoy every know and then in person. :) -Anna

Rissi said...

Always glad to read about your fun trips, Ella. Glad this one was another special experience. :)