I had some spare time on the computer, but I wasn't overly sure what to write about. I intend to do a weekend re-cap on Monday, yet I want to write now. So, as I pondered a few minutes on the computer on what to do, I thought to write this.
As I mentioned before, I had wanted to have two different conversation starters at my party last Saturday. Time just got away, and as I think about it now, I think I should have done this one first. It is the more important of the two I had planned. Oh well. Perhaps the Lord wants me to do it with ya'll, instead. Who am I to know his plans?!
So, here is the question: What part of the Christmas Story really jumps out at you? Is it something that makes an impression every year, or are you one of those who find something new upon each new reading? Well, for me, this is really the first year that I have given it some serious thought. The part that got me was Mary and her willingness to carry the Lord.
I will explain why I think this way. According to research and assumption, Mary was a young woman of fifteen or sixteen. She was betrothed. (That would be a scary thought if we did it that way now. I would be either betrothed myself, or considered an old maid!) She probably had her life planned out. She would marry Joseph, have many children, and live happily ever after. Well, that did happen, but there was a curveball thrown at her. (I don't think that is the right word.) God chose her, of all the young women of the world, to carry His son, who would save the people from their sins. Could you imagine if the Lord asked that of you? What would your reaction be? Mary's was one of submission and love. "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said....My soul glorifies the Lord, and my soul rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me-holy is his name." Would you use words like this? I would like to think I would, but I don't know.
Mary, though she was undoubtedly thrilled with the thought of bearing the Messiah, suffered alot of grief for it. She ran the risk of being stoned, because naturally, everyone would think that she had betrayed Joseph. Her friends probably abandoned her, and who knows what her parents thought? Yet, I don't think that mattered to her. I never read that Mary was upset with the Lord's plan. She had amazing faith. She believed that He would do what He said, and that He would not abandoned her in her darkest hours. What a woman she was! If you ponder it, Mary did get everything she had planned. She wed Joseph, had many children, including The Child, and while she might not have lived happily ever after like "Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella," Mary goes down in history as a woman who followed God's call for her life, no major questions asked.
So, that is what I was impressed with this year. What in the Christmas story speaks to you? Tell me about it! And have a fantastic weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











6 comments:
That is a great conversation starter!
The part of the Christmas story that really jumped out at me this year was the fact that the baby who was born was GOD. I think in the past, I have been so wrapped up in the "story" and all the different parts that people on earth played, I wasn't properly in awe of who the baby WAS. The God who parted the Red Sea and led the children of Israel through the wilderness, the God whose glory was so amazing that after Moses got a glimpse of him, his face shown radiantly, and the God who required the pure sacrifices of animals for the sins of His people was the God who was born in a manger! THIS is the God who walked on earth--the same earth we are walking on today! Emmanuel, God With Us! As the baby was lying on the hay, did He knew what was happening? Did He smile, knowing what was going to happen? God knew that He was going to die. He came to earth in order to be rejected by men, despised by the world, and even bereft of help from the Father! And there he lay, in Mary's arms, adored by the shepherds and wise men. THAT is what really jumped out at me this Christmas!
Believe it or not, that was the one I was going to share last Saturday, Ella! :-)
What I have pondered this year is the fact that, as we all know and as Alice has reminded us, the baby WAS/IS God. And yet, there was no room for him in the inn. Can you imagine if some head of state (who is far less important than the Lord Jesus) arrived in town and he was told there was no room for him? That would be unthinkable. WE all know that he would be given the best room in the house and that all kinds of things would be done to honor him.
And yet, there was NO room for the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. And I wonder, are we much different nowadays? Are we so busy with everything else that we have no room in our inn (our life) for Him. Do we fail to give him the honor and respect he so deserves. Oh, may I never get so filled up with other things that my Lord is cast out.
Thank you three so much!!! You have made interesting points, and they are ones ot think about. Alice and Melinda, you are right: The baby was GOD! How amazing.
Mom, I really don't think we are any different nowadays. However, I bet if Caesar Augustus had asked for a room, he would have gotten it!
I meant I was going to say what you said, Ella--about Mary being so young and in a precarious position!
The part that most jumps out to me is what you posted about, Ella: Mary's willingness to do what God asked, even when it must have been frightening, is so admirable. She's definitely a good role model!
Post a Comment