Saturday, January 06, 2007

How will I respond?

If you have gone on various blogs, you would have seen that I went bowling with several good friends. (Though some were missing:-) Well, bowling is a character test for me. I love to bowl, but I think I love the idea of bowling. My scores are nothing to rave about. I am a perfectionist, so doing bad is difficult for me to accept.

In the past, I have gotten really down about myself. I have even cried on some occasions. I am not sure what I require. Is it getting this huge score and getting lots of strikes? I can't say. I can tell you that it never happens...much to my chagrin.

However, I didn't want to break down about my performance this outing. I don't suffer from peer pressure, but I don't want my friends to see me act ridiculous over a dumb game that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. So, I made up my mind to have a positive attitude, regardless of how I did.

Well, we first went to the D.'s house and ate pizza and watched a movie. (I am not recommending this one:-) After the van finally got there, we all headed off to the Boise State Student Union. That's where we bowl, due to the fact that they don't allow smoking or drinking. We got lost on campus, though we have been there a few times. (Shifty was being a back seat driver!) Anyway, we got there and began bowling. Now, the beginning is also a test for me. I have to rent size 5 shoes. Thankfully, they had shoe laces!!!!! :-D I have had to deal with velcro before. I also use an eight pound ball. The others are too heavy for me.

So, we start bowling, and sure enough, I go in the gutter more than I want to. I do manage to get pins down, and that's what I go for. Yet I have an odd way of bowling. I go up to the line, stop, and then throw the ball. Everyone thinks it's nutty, including myself, but that's the only way I can seem to do it. Well, I do get a spare, with all ten pins going down. I was excited about that. Then, I started going down again. All of my friends gave me advice in joking manners. (I was told to do it granny style more than once.) Well, how was I doing to respond to this?

I knew what I had to do. I took deep breaths, and joked about what they said. I still would go in the gutter, and if I felt that I was beginning to get angry, I would stop and cool off. I am so thankful to the Lord that I never busted down crying. I never even came close. Also, no one laughed at me; they all laughed with me. (Or if they thought me stupid, they all had the courtesy to keep it inside.) We bowled three frames, and it was a lot of fun. We laughed a ton, and we enjoyed each other's company.

Not meaning to be prideful, but I am pleased with myself. No, not with the bowling scores, which were in the forties twice and the sixties once. I was pleased that I responded the right way this time. I think that's because I prayed on the way to the D.'s house. I really wanted to come away proud of how I acted.... And I am!

19 comments:

Alice said...

Good for you!!! In the long run, you won't remember your bowling score, you'll remember how much fun you had with your friends!

Alice said...

Oh, and by the way, I get size five shoes and an eight pound ball, too. Short people rule the world. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!! I know how hard it was for you to not be upset, but now that you had the right attitude, you have the joy of knowing you had victory over that perfectionism. Wouldn't it have been horrible to bowl badly and then have a bad attitude as well. That's a lose/lose situation. But you made it a lose/win situation, and I am VERY proud of you.

Oh, Alice, I like your new profile picture. Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me use your 8 pound ball. :-) I think 8 is my favorite weight. I can bowl with a heavier one, but I often end up hurting my fingers or arm, so there is no point in going heavier than 8.

I like how everyone got along well when we went bowling. :-)

Anonymous said...

My bowling is nothing to look at either. I have only gotten a strike once in my life, and when I did I screamed. It was quite interesting. Other than that, I just go because I like bowling, not to win.

Just do it for the fun of it.

Ella said...

Alice, you are right. I will remember the time spent with friends. You are also right when you say short people rule the world! I didn't know that you had small feet!

Mom, I am glad that you are proud of me. :-)

Melinda, I was more than happy to let you use my ball. (Except when I needed it:-) Everyone did get along, which was good.

Miriam, I also bowl for the fun of it! I don't think I would enjoy it if I went to get strikes all the time.

Anonymous said...

Gabrielle, you beat me: twice!!!! You are way better than i am. i got scores in the 40's the whole time! LOL. That is so me!

TigerLily said...

I want to go bowling soon. It's usually a blast, that's why we did that for my birthday.

Anonymous said...

Ella, your scores may not have been very high, but you came away a pro! Even if people look down on you, it is important that you stand up straight take it like a man... well... sorta...

Ella said...

Grace, you got in the 90's, but was that due to the guys bowling for you?

Brianne, bowling is fun. I had a great time when we did it at your birthday, except I didn't respond correctly that time.

Shifty, I don't think you all look down on me. But you're right, I need to take it like a man :-) haha. (I am not a man, you know!)

Anonymous said...

Good attitude, Ella! I also am not a very good bowler, especially compared to the rest of my family, particularly my brother. He got 4-5 strikes in ONE game last time we bowled, whereas I didn't get any. But, I do it for the fun of it, not to get perfect scores!

Anonymous said...

"Now we are all men of our word, except fo elizabeth, becuase she is, of course, a woman."
-Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Carribean 1
The only reason I got 90's was because the guys bowled for me when i left for the bathroom.

Ella said...

Anna, glad that you got back safely. Wow! Someone bowled that many strikes in one game!!! Amazing! Yet, overall, if I had to choose between good scores or good attitude, I think I would choose the latter.

Grace, maybe I should have gone to the bathroon?! haha.

Anonymous said...

Or just asked Jason to bowl for you!

TigerLily said...

going to the bathroom always helps your bowling skills, especially when you take a long time on purpose so the guys can get alot of points for you.

Anonymous said...

post!!!

Anonymous said...

Brianne: em... never mind no comment

Anonymous said...

I thought you did a new post yesterday, but I guess I imagined that.

TigerLily said...

shifty: I don't get it.