Thursday, January 11, 2007

When I Least Expected it

You know, I am so glad that the Lord's ways and thoughts are so much bigger than my own petty ones. This past weekend, I was able to see that in an amazingly personal way. I want to share the story with you, and maybe, it will minister to you.

Some of you know that back in October, I applied for a job in HopeChest Magazine. No, I wouldn't be getting paid or compensated in any way, but I felt it was something for me to consider. I have had this desire to use my God-given writing abilities in some capacity, but I didn't quite know where. Once I read this plea in HopeChest asking for an editor, I prayed about it, and decided to go for it. Well, I heard from Anne (one of the girls who runs the magazine) She gave me many particulars, liked what she saw in me, and stated she would get back to me in two weeks.

Those two weeks came and went, and I never heard anything. The weeks turned into months, and my expectation dwindled. I wasn't hearing from her, and I assumed that meant I did not get the position. As much as I tried, I was unable to get in touch with her. I think God had a purpose in that being so.

The weeks and months of uncertainty and silence were difficult for me. I had thought it was something the Lord had desired. Maybe I had gotten some miscommunication somehow, somewhere. I surrendered my wanting over to Him, but I still had issues leaving it there. (Don't we all..all of the time?) I tried to accept His decision, but it wasn't easy. Yet, in the weeks that went by, I gradually let it go. Perhaps it wasn't going to be the best thing for me!

Yet, on Saturday, out of the blue, I heard from Anne! I hadn't anticipated hearing from her at all, so checking my e-mail and finding a letter in the inbox was a big surprise. Imagine my further surprise when I discovered I got the position! I was going to start right away and she was looking forward to getting to know me.

You can imagine my thankfulness to the Lord. Anne had said she was sending me out a package of material to be edited, and I prayed that it would come soon. I had a deadline after all! On the day I prayed, the envelope arrived at my house, only a day after she had sent it. Again, I had reason to thank God.

Through this interesting turn in the journey of my life, I think the Lord was trying to teach me something. I need never despair of the quietness that is around me. Yes, the answer might have been no, but He was giving me the time to turn the desire over to Him, so I wouldn't be too heartbroken. Yet, it didn't turn out that way. There was silence for several months, but God knew the outcome all along. (Though why He can't reveal it every now and then is beyond me:-) So, when there appears to be silence for years, I still have no cause for alarm. It is a time where the testing will develop perseverance, and that those who wait (patiently and trusting) will receive blessing at the right time.


So, that's where I have been these last few days. Aside from my schoolwork, chores, and everything else, I have entered the world of editing. I have been correcting girls' submissions and have been choosing what should go in the next issue. I would appreciate ya'll's prayers for me. Not just that I would know what to put in and what to not, but more importantly, that the Lord would be high and lifted up as I seek to minister to other young women. I want Him to be glorified in this role and not me! God bless!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Wow, an editor already? Does that mean you will get letters to the editor? I view an editor as power. Though you wouldn't to, you could change the very meaning of the letter if you wanted to. Another reason I see an editor as power is because my sister Amy dreads them ;-) Good luck with your new job. That is so COOL!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting the position! Sounds like it will be enjoyable. God rewards the patient!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so happy! My sister Amy will make a face, but that is because a lot of them boss her around. God gives us talents and gifts for a good reason!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Now if their website will load, I'll see if I can order a subscription...

Ella said...

Shifty, I will be able to word their letters differently sometimes. If the use too many of the same word, I will fix it. Yes, you could say an editor is power. I just see it as a good thing/

Miriam, it is enjoyable all ready. I love it.

Grace, I wouldn't be bossing anybody around. That's not cool. I just hope I will be putting my talents from God to good use.

Anna, I was able to get the website up, and it has nothing to do with be the editor. I don't want you to subscribe just because I do it. However, it is a very good magazine, one that you would agree with and that would encourage you. In that way, I hope you get it.

Thank you all for your support!

Alice said...

Congratulations, Ella! I'm glad you got it! Can I just e-mail the article I wrote to you? ;-) Just kidding!

How about coming down and seeing me, since you're so close?

Ella said...

Alice, seriously, you could send it me if your wanted! Anyway, you know how glad I am to have gotten it. And I would love to see you, but I don't think there could be any possible way! Too bad you couldn't come up here! How is Arizona? What is the temperature?

Anonymous said...

I'm not just subscribing because of you - though it would be neat to get a magazine you edit! I've thought about getting it for some time, so this has kinda spurred me to it. However, for some reason the website won't load for me; I don't know why. I guess I'll just keep trying!

Anonymous said...

Glad you got the job. If you don't like a certain thing, being the editor you have the power to put it in the magazine.

TigerLily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TigerLily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TigerLily said...

I geuss you are probably worn out on Congradulations, but one more won't hurt. Congrats!

Ella said...

Anna, it really is a good magazine. How often it encourages me I can't tell you.

Garrity and Brianne, thanks for the congrats.

TigerLily said...

p! o! s! t! post!

Anonymous said...

post.