Saturday, March 31, 2007

Another Sense of Accomplishment

I don't like weeding; it's as simple as that. Sitting outside, getting dirt on yourself, and pulling very hard roots out of the ground doesn't appeal to me. Now, I love pruning and picking flowers, things that are beautiful to do. So, what is beautiful about weeding? I try to rarely do it, and let Dad or Garrity have that unpleasant job.

However, that is a wrong attitude for me to have. When something needs done, I need to have the mentality of "get 'er done....now" So, when Dad had made a comment about how it was dandelion season again, I decided to spend the afternoon weeding the front yard yesterday. It wasn't easy. In fact, some of those roots were hard to get out. (And my clothes and feet got messy) but I am so glad I did it. The yard looks a whole lot better now with those yellow heads removed, and I made my dad happy by doing something I didn't necessarily have to do.

I also can struggle with things on the computer. While I am not as "computer illiterate" as some people I know, I am also not the most knowledgeable when it comes to computers either. (I know plenty who are) However, Mom saw me editing my "digital me" and she wondered if I could do the same thing on the family blog, but now have all four of us. Well, I thought that was a great idea, but without going into all the details, it didn't work as easily as I thought it would. I could have given up and let my more computer savvy brother take over. Yet, when I try something, I want to show that I can do it. So, I stayed on the computer, and by the time our Internet server stopped for the day, I had the problem fixed, and a digital family on the family blog. It looks good, if I may say so.

I want to encourage you all to do above and beyond what you sometimes are supposed to, or better yet, what you want to. Getting a pain in my neck from the computer wasn't my ideal of a great evening, but now, I have a great thing to show for the hard work. Now, sometimes we are supposed to do something new that is required of us (like playing a Gershwin piece or learning Microsoft Excel for the family woodworking business, in my case) and that is all well and good. Those things can make us happy as well. Yet, the Bible tells us not to be lazy, so let's now. Let's go and do something that is difficult for us, and serve others with our servant's heart that the Lord wants us to cultivate. Let's go out and "Do Hard Things."

5 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

Great job! May we all choose to do hard things in our everyday lives. It's not easy, but it is so worth it!

Ella said...

It really is, Anna!

Miriam N. said...

I feel exactly as you do about weeding, Ella! But sometimes, it does feel good to go and get dirty. On that rare occasion, I actually enjoy going and working in the garden (but preferably not in the sun!). Congratulations on doing a hard thing! :)

Shifty said...

Agreed,
I HATE weeding, but like Mariam said, it is always good to go out and get stuff done.
BTW, I got to talk to you guys about Nikki. I'll tell Garret on the phone when I call him today.

Ella said...

Miriam, I far perfer working in the shadier areas of the yard too. I realize, that as I want to garden more and more this year, I will have to deal with weeding more too. God will grant me the grace to do so....thank goodness!