Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Thought-Provoking Quote I Read

On my birthday back in February, Mom and Dad bought me a book, entitled, Verses of Virtue, put out by Vision Forum. I try to always read books right when I get them, but that isn't always easy. I put Verses of Virtue in my bedside basket and left it for awhile. Yet two nights ago, I pulled it out. Perhaps I was having creepy thoughts or something, but I wanted to read an uplifting, encouraging, piece of literature....and I wasn't denied that wish. Then last night, I read again, and the same thing happened. I wanted to share it with you (emphasis mine though.)

Home: The Fountain-Head of Society
The household is the fountain-head of society. Both the commonwealth and the church grow out of the family. They both take their character from the family. The real seed-corn whence our republic sprang was the Christian households, which stepped forth from the cabin on the Mayflower, or which set up the family altar of the Hollander and the Huguenot on Manhattan Island or in the sunny South. All our best characters, best legislation, best institution, and best church-life were cradled in those early homes. They were the tap-root of the Republic, and of the American churches.
For one, I care but little for the government which presides at Washington in comparison with the government which rules the eight to ten millions of American homes. No administration can seriously harm us if our home-life is pure, frugal, and godly. No statesmanship or legislation can save us, if once our homes become the abodes of ignorance or the nesting-places of profligacy. The home rules the nation. If the home is demoralized it will ruin it.
There are several essentials to a good home. Wealth is not one of those essentials, for in many an abode of honest poverty contentment dwells. Out of such lowly cottages and cabins have sprung our greatest, noblest men and women. The little clapboarded farm houses of New England have been the nurseries of greatest divines, most useful philanthropists and devoted missionaries. The riches of those humble dwellings were industrious hands and praying hearts. God's Word was the light of the homestead. The Bible, the spinning-wheel, and the family altar stood side by side. The growing refinements of later years have introduced into many rural habitations the piano, the pictures, and the pile of books. But let our people see to it that the increase of culture money and refinement is not attended with any decrease of homespun frugality, domestic purity, and the fear of God.
A truly good home is not only one in which God reigns, but it must be an attractive spot. Even all the conscientious Christian parents do not seem to find this out. The result is that the theatre, the billiard-saloon, the club, the convivial party manage to "out-bid" the home, and to draw away the sons and daughters. It is too often the fault of his parents, that a sprightly boy prefers some other evening resort to the stupid or disagreeable place in which he eats and sleeps. If his home were made more attractive he would not seek the haunts of danger and depravity. And one of the surest methods of keeping out of a dram-shop, or a son out of the haunts of sin, is the "explusive power of a new affection" for their home. Everything that attracts our children to their homes is very apt to be, in the end, an attraction towards Heaven.
I thought this was very good. Whether we have a household now, or are praying for one the future, we have an obligation to fulfill. God views the family as VITALLY important to the success of the nation; we should as well. We should make our home a haven where He is praise, adored, magnified, and lifted up....and that philosophy should carry into public life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing passage!! It is interesting to think that it was written years ago (by whom and in what year, you didn't say). Even then, they could see the dangers of not having strong homes and families. Too bad we didn't heed that advice, for we are reaping the consequences of fragmented families!

Anonymous said...

And as parents have ceased having a strong spiritual life within their family and have, instead, pushed the spiritual training of their children off to the church or youth group, much damage has been done as well. It seems that just as God has been removed from our nation, he has been removed from most families as well. And, therefore, we reap the consequences.

Ella said...

I don't know the year Theodore Kuyler (whoever he is) made this quote. However, I quite agree with you, Mom.It is sad that even decades ago we had broken homes, depravity, and the lack of biblical femininity. We have ceased to make home a big deal, and now, we have to suffer the consequences.

I am so glad, though, that our home is one where the Lord is tried to always be lifted up and glorified...and that it is a fun place to be!