It is no secret what my favorite movies are. I rave about Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility a lot. I felt compelled to mention Love Comes Softy and North and South here on the blog. Give me the choice between Anne of Green Gables and the latest "romantic comedy" and I will definitely choose the former. Overall, I just love girly movies...but that wasn't what this post was to be about.
There is something about these "timeless classics" that appeals to me. Do you know what it is? I could let you guess, but I am not:-) The way the women dress and act stirs up a feeling inside of me. It is a feeling that, if I could go back to those days, I would. Now, I know there are a lot of bonuses in this century. However, they pale in comparison to what we have lost.
I remember when I watched North and South particularly, an "object lesson" came to mind. Margaret, the main character, was at this fancy dinner party, wearing a slightly revealing dress. Her dress did not communicate, "Look at me and what I have." Rather I believe she was stating, "This dress doesn't state all about me. I have a sensible head on my shoulders, I can lovingly serve my mother and father, and I want you to get to know the real me." And in that scene, the main guy, Mr. Thornton, doesn't look at what is revealed; he looks at her face the entire time.
Now, think of what we have now. In supermarket aisles, we are bombarded with images of Hollywood actresses revealing anything and everything it seems. Always, the women are wearing cleavage showing, leg showing, form fitting clothes. And it communicates, "Oh, don't you wish you had me and what I have." These attitudes absolutely sicken me....and they are everywhere. You get it on tv, with such shows as "Dancing With The Stars." (I don't watch it; I just hear about it.) Movies and commercials now cater to this way of living. Even secular music covers aren't exempt.
What has gone wrong? You can't blame it on the changing fashion world. Even in Jane Austen's day, there were low dresses. (Granted they were not quite as low.) So, what is the deal? I believe it is the attitudes that have been to blame. We are human, after all. That said, I wish we didn't have the battles regarding dress that we do now. No longer do dresses and skirts communicate feminine or "I am a girl;" they communicate being sexy. People feel that they have to degrade themselves by revealing themselves in order to catch a guy. Wrong! Though they are fiction, every single movie I watch has the girl coming out victorious...and the guy isn't some nerd, either.
Those of us who long for the days gone by have a difficult road ahead. I cannot even imagine what will be "in" when I have a child. However, I will train her that God had something higher in store for us....and it is our job to do it. It might be wearing longer skirts and higher necklines as everyone looks at us with shocked faces. It might mean staying away from current romances, for honestly, is that the kind of relationship we want for us or them? Being regarded as feminine wasn't considered wacky up until recently. With God's help, let's try to bring it back. Let us not only look like women, but be willing to go against the trendsetters for the sake of our Christian brothers. Let's have our dress say, " I am a girl. I am a Daughter of the King, one who is highly regarded. There is more to me than my body. Focus on that. Only one guy will get that former part of me."
Intro, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Saturday, October 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











7 comments:
All I can say is AMEN!! This is a beautiful post.
I grow weary of going through the supermarket line and looking at the tabloids and other digusting magazines. Sure, the women are usually in a dress---a skimpy, low-cut, barely there sort of a thing. That surely doesn't say "feminine." Rather, like you said, it says, "notice me and my body." Any wonder that I am always turning those magazines over or putting something else in front of them!!
When we watched Anne of Green Gables the other day, more than anything else, I took notice of the way the women dressed. I know I would look like a fool walking around like that in society today, but I surely would love to. Beauty, femininity, modesty all wrapped up together. Oh,do I wish those days would return!
I know what you mean, Mrs G! I love the dresses in Anne of Green Gables.
I remember that part in North and South that Ella mentioned. I remember noticing that Mr. Thornton looked in her face the whole time. I like that.
You know, Mom, sometimes the back of tabloids aren't much better than the front. The "dresses" can not compare to Anne of Green Gables, or any of the others.
Miriam, the website Ladies Against Feminism commented on the gentlemanliness of Mr. Thornton in that scene. I liked it too.
Wow...what an excellent post! Thank you for the motivation and encouragement. It is a battle....but we as young christain ladies can fight it...with God's help of course!
Also, North and South is one of my favorite movies. :-)
Neesie, it is a battle, but you are right, with God, we can be victorious!!
Oh, I have been meaning to mention that I am unable to read your blog. My internet filter blocks all of xanga (one bad apple spoils the bunch) I do wish I could read yours!
Oh that is okay Ella! Hopefully this December I'll be starting up a blog here at blogger, so you can read that one. :-)
Ella,
Just saw in a comment you made on YlCF that you are/were an HC reader. I'm putting together a book for them, and if you are interested in reading and/or contributing, please pass an email addy on to me. Thanks!
Post a Comment