Friday, October 26, 2007

Of Fun and Formal Dinners

I know this is an extremely biased statement, but I think I have the best family in the world!!! I am so glad that I have been blessed to be a part of this family; I certainly did not deserve this gift from God. Anyway, one of the things I love best is the spontaneity we always seem to have.

I wrote in this post that Dad and I were going to do something, and I had zero idea what it was. Besides, it was on a Wednesday!! Well, he wound up taking me to dinner...at a fancy fondue restaurant. Now, at first I was nervous; I was only wearing my jean skirt. If I knew where we were going, I would have worn a nicer skirt. However, Dad set me at ease, saying I was dressed fine. (He was in jeans anyway.) From the cheese fondue with bread, fruits, and vegetables, to the meats with sauces and potatoes, to the finale of dark chocolate fondue with cheesecakes, macaroons, pound cake, and strawberries, I enjoyed a lovely dinner....though the stomach ache afterwards wasn't that comfortable! However, I loved the time with Dad more; he and I don't get to do things together as often as I would like. He made me feel special, doing something we have wanted to do for a long time. Coming home and watching Love's Enduring Promise was an added bonus.

However, life isn't all fondue restaurants. Most of our evenings are quiet dinners at home. We are all present, which is a blessing in and of itself. Yet, dinner can have a twist sometimes. Whether it be Silly Supper (where your food and utensils are disguised in the menu) or theme dinners, evenings like this are a treat. Well, of late, they have been frequent. If ya'll didn't know, it is baseball season, and I have a brother who loves baseball, especially the Boston Red Sox. So, as they have been in the ALCS and the World Series, a lot of our dinners have been in front of the tv. Mom has been very accommodating and has allowed this. In fact, she has used this time to shake things up. We have had hot dogs (or chicken hoagies in my case) french fries, peanuts and red rope...your typical baseball food. Clam strips and Boston creme pie have been eaten; I am sure you can guess why. Mom has even dressed up as a "green monster...." I will not post the picture, for her benefit. Needless to say, these times have been fun.

I pray you all are so blessed with a family relationship such as this. I would also encourage you all to shake your meals up. Find a theme, follow a sporting event with its food...just have fun making memories you will have for your lifetime!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

AS you well know, I sort of lack in the sense of humor department, so it IS a big deal for me to do those crazy dinners!

Also, I'm jealous. I haven't even been to the Mona Lisa yet. Daddy and I will have to go there sometime.

And I think our family is blessed to have you in it just as much as you are blessed by being in it!

Love,
Mom

Ella said...

Mom, for someone who isn't into humor, you do a fabulous job putting these together! And yes, Dad needs to take you to the Mona Lisa sometime! You would love it! Love you!!

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

I loved this post, Ella!!! Father/ Daughter times are just so special! My Daddy and I were so blessed by being able to attend the Vision Forum Father/Daughter retreat for the first time this year! It was so wonderful!! And I was so thrilled to finally meet Scott Brown, the Botkins, Doug Phillips, etc. We are going to be attending next year's as well, as are 2 other families in our church. Have you ever been or considered going? I very highly encourage you and your father to go next year!!

My family has also been watching the World Series a whole lot lately.

I am beyond blessed by my family. I have nothing in me that deserves to be so blessed-it is completely the Lord's graciousness and goodness!

Have a blessed week, Ella!

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

I love that movie as well!!

Anonymous said...

Not to disagree with your family or anything, but I have been rooting for the Rockies all the way! (Ummm, no need to say anything about how they have been playing:-)
We haven't had a "theme" dinner or anything yet, but we have enjoyed spending these past nights all together in front of the TV (we haven't enjoyed watching the Rockies fall to their unfortunate fate though). :-(

Alice said...

Wow, that restaurant sounds fun!

Have you ever read "The Hidden Art of Homemaking," by Edith Schaffer? She talks a lot about being creative in that book, and there is a lot about being creative with mealtime, too. One of her ideas was to have a progressive dinner with your family (mostly a family with younger kids), having clues to different places in the house, where different parts of the meal would be hidden. The last clue would take you to dessert!

Ella said...

Rebekah, I have wanted to go to the Father/Daughter retreat. However, Georgia and Idaho are a little too far apart!

Neesie, okay I was going Rockies at first, as was Mom. Then, I found that I prefered the Red Sox players, so I switched....and Mom...well she went the Red Sox so the series could be over. (and we could go back to eating at the dinner table!)

Alice, I have never read the book, but that idea sounds like a lot of fun! Maybe I ought to read it!!

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

We have that book, but I haven't read it yet. Yeah, I know what you mean about the distance. It is so much fun, though! It would be awesome if you guys could somehow go sometime.

Beverly said...

Ella, I have so missed reading your blog. I was sick last week and am finally sitting down to catch up!

Mealtimes together are precious, aren't they? I treasure these times. I love the creativity your mom displays, too. She's given me some great ideas for the future!

I love the date night you had with your dad. I thought maybe you had gone to The Melting Pot which is a fondue place we have near us. My hubby has been talking about a date night with our daughter - shes 14 months - so it would have to be pretty early.

Also, have you seen Love's Unending Legacy yet? I'm scared to watch it.

Anna Naomi said...

Sounds like fun! How special of your dad to take you out for dinner - I've always enjoyed the times when dad I were out and about and got to eat together. Thanks for sharing some of your family fun!

Ella said...

Mrs. Beverly, I am so sorry that you were sick; that isn't any fun!! I would keep ideas such as these for when your daughter gets older. I love mealtimes such as these!
We do have The Melting Pot here..actually it is the Mona Lisa's competition, which is where we went. I have been to The Melting Pot before when our family lived in FL.
No, I haven't see Love's Unending Legacy yet. As I do not have access to the Hallmark channel, I am waiting for it to come out on DVD. I bet I will enjoy it, but still....

Anna, yes, times with our dads are so much fun!