Politics. It is one of those subjects that people are repulsed by. Most try not to think about; it is something left to big wigs and those who can do things. Me, I love the subject. I could never get involved in the arena; it is better left to men. However, that doesn't mean I can't love it! I read all about it, I have a tendency to stay up on election nights, and I pay attention to the returns. You all know; I posted about the election of 2006.
Ever since I was little, I have been "involved" in the process. I have been to polling places ever since I was two. Mom says I held a Bush/Quayle sign in 1992. I cannot remember that, but I believe her. As I got older, I look on with envy as she cast the ballot, wishing for my turn. I am not anxious to grow up, but voting next year....that will be exciting.
I realize I am in a category entirely by myself. Most young adults don't vote. I do not have the exact numbers, but I know that they are low! I have grown to recongnize that the ability to vote is an immense privlege. Other nations would die for this....and we have a tendency to take it for granted.
The Rebelution has encouraged teens to get involved, and I quite agree. That means something different for every one. Some are more active, working on the actual campaign and such. Others can vote. However, we all can pray!! Regardless of who you are going for in the next election, I would encourage you to do something. You might not agree with this statement, but I believe that if those who do desire God and righteousness don't rise up, we are doomed as a nation. We need to elect leaders who seek God's policies above their own.
Now, I live in a state where the candidate nomination is all but announced. It isn't who we are going for; guess who we are voting for? (Please don't come away with Hilary Clinton!) However, yes, I can feel that casting a ballot is absolutely pointless. I still will, though. I want to exercise my God-given freedom in some small way. This is how God can use me to impact the world. Who says young adults can't do things?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











6 comments:
Yes, it is so sad that so many young adults do not vote. It is such a privilege, and yet so many people take it for granted. I voted for the first time this year, and I was so excited that I could hardly contain myself. Turning eighteen was, OK, now I am considered an adult. But voting was doing something that showed I was considered old enough to make an important (hopefully informed) decision.
Great post!!
Amen, sister! Preach it! :)
Rachel, knowing you are in Idaho, I can assume you did vote on Tuesday! Great for you; I can't wait to do it myself!
To the both of you, this so needs to be said!
Hi! This is my first time to visit your blog...it's so beautiful!
On the subject of politics and voting, my Dad has diligently taught me that it is very important to vote. (In fact, he has a sign in our barn that says: "Vote, or shut-up")
It has bocome very importnat to me as well. I am so happy to find other young women who feel as strongly about it as I do. We can make a difference!
God bless you in what you are doing.
Kaysie
alabasterboxblog.blogspot.com
I can't wait to vote next year! It's amazing to think that I'll actually be able to!
I won't be able to vote for Huckabee in the primaries, but at least my parents and older siblings can! I hope that I'll be able to vote for him in the actual election! =)
Kaysie, welcome to the blog. I pray it was a blessing and that you return often. It is wonderful to be around people who seek to be active and make a difference.
Anna, boo hoo you cannot vote in the primaries. I think I will...unless someone changes the date on me. Like you, I hope to be voting for Huckabee in the general election! It will take the Lord! (Yet that is a good thing!)
Post a Comment