All you have to do is read my blog; I am not ordinary!! I take delight in things most teenage girls can't stand, and I dislike their likes...for the most part. One of these instances is that I absolutely love being around my family!! I don't mean to stereotype, but it seems that most people can't stand being seen with their parents, let alone do things with them.
Garrett and I are different. We take joy in the family memories we create. I have shared some with you. You know we enjoy the theme dinners, the family vacations, game nights and movie nights. We take pleasure in having parents as our best friends. Sure, we love being with peers, but when most of them don't live near you..... It is just a wonderful thing to have people you love near you ALL THE TIME. We aren't a perfect family; we can squabble and bicker. However, we thank the Lord for an extra measure of grace each and every day.
As I look at the majority of families, I see people out and about, but it is rarely with their parent. I am saddened by this. They are missing so much. There are memories to be made and found. I look at my schedule this weekend. I am out with Mom twice in three days. Tonight we are going to a Christmas open house at the tea room (with complimentary tea and desserts...always a good thing:-) Tomorrow is our normal Boise Philharmonic outing. Perhaps one day Dad and Mom will go, but I love hearing all of the music myself. For Saturday, I got the biggest shock of my life...and it will probably shock you too.
I bet you didn't think I enjoyed watching college football. Strike that, Boise State football. I mean, my blog is roses. I am a feminine girl; football is anything but feminine. Well, I am, and Dad surprised me with the news that he got tickets from a friend for Saturday's game...the last home one of the season, and it is the big state rivalry too. I am so excited, and I will definitely wear orange and blue.
The point to this post wasn't to brag about the things I do with my family. It was to show that I enjoy them. (Lest you think I don't care about my brother, I enjoy things with him too.) I have friends who have talked about their families of late, and I wanted to as well. This is just one of the many things I am thankful to my Father in Heaven for this day. It is a blessing that I do not deserve!
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











6 comments:
I, too, am saddened when we go to places like the fair or the mall and all we see are teens congregating together....almost none of them with a parent anywhere in sight. It saddens me because it gives the impression, which is most likely the truth, that the kids and their parents don't like to be around each other. Most teens far prefer their peer group. And most parents are selfish and just want to pursue their own agendas. So, they don't spend time together. Sadly, in my teen years, I was one of the typical teens, pouring all my time into friendships that pretty much fizzled five years out of high school. In short, I focused my time and energy on things that didn't last, instead of focusing on building a relationship with my parents....who will be my parents always.
So, it grieves my heart to see the typical hangout groups when we go places as a family. But it also causes me to thank the Lord for the amazing relationship that Daddy and I have with you and Garrett. Truly, we are blessed abundantly.
Oh, I forgot....Go Broncos!!!!!
Good for you!!! We, as Christians, should never be considered ordinary by the world's standards. For why would we want to do and like the things that the world does and likes? And I do have to agree with you that most people do not like to be with their families, and that is so sad. Sometimes is seems I must like being around my family since I was home schooled, but really it must be that I love them so much I want to be with them lots.
Hello Ella,
I too am "one of the few" who actually enjoy and LOVE to be around my parents and siblings.
I agree with what your Mom spoke on about her experiences: so many of today's youths are so completely wrapped up in their outside friends that they hardly even notice their families...the friends they will have and need for life! Why not spend time cultivating the right relationships?!
Not that having outside relationships in wrong, but only if balanced.
To be honest, I learned most of the "wrong" I know by being around outside friends, not my family.
Our parents have a lifetime of wisdom to teach us and help us grow in the right direction.
Parents are the greatest! :)
(can you tell I love mine?!)
Thank you Ella for an inspiring post.
Kaysie
As you know, I love my family as well! I so love to be out with my family, especially with Daddy. =)
I'm quite different from you in one respect... I can't understand football. However, I hope you have a great time at the game!
Mom, I know that if you could do your high school years over again, you would. I appreciate the things you have tried to teach me, so I do not make the same mistakes you did. And yes, "GO BRONCOS!!"
Rachel, I wonder how much homeschooling has to do with it. Perhaps, but sadly, I see many of them hanging more with peers than parents. No, it is good to be different from the world in this way.
Kaysie, yes, it is best to cultivate the relationships that last a lifetime. I know I have learned hard things from some friendships. That said, I am thankful that the friendships I have know are built on the right foundations...and I pray they last a long time. I can tell you love your parents!
Anna, yes, Dad times are wonderful. They are different than Mom times, if you know what I mean. Having a brother who loves sports as made me know sports. I am sure I will enjoy the game...yet being short, I hope I will be able to see clearly :-)
Post a Comment