Monday, December 10, 2007

A Modest Carol

Julie Matthews was dead. This should be strictly understood and grasped, or else what I have to relate will not be understood. The point remains that Julie no longer had breath in her body. On the occasion of her funeral, there was no one to mourn, no one to speak a eulogy, no one place to place flowers upon the casket. Not even her friend, Emma Smith, attended the event. Julie was placed into the ground quite unceremoniously and quite unloved.

Emma and Julie lived in New York City. Regular shoppers at Tiffany’s and Saks Fifth Avenue they were. Their reputation as the best dressers, the best bargain finders, and the best snobs preceded them wherever they went. Emma was actually the better known of the two, and she knew it. In all honesty, Emma liked that now she alone could have the spotlight and reputation.

The day of Julie’s funeral found Emma browsing Times Square. It was a dreary day, but it was made even drearier by the lack of fashionable clothes. What was fashionable? Well, it was anything that the current favorite actress wore. It did not matter the color, the style, the lowness, or tightness. In the middle of her frustration, Emma was interrupted.

“Good day, Emma. A Merry Christmas to you.”

It was Beverly Crump. Simply put, Emma didn’t like her. Beverly could never be considered stylish, and thus, Emma did not believe it was okay to associate with her.

“It is not a Merry Christmas. Due to this ridiculous holiday, the stores are sold out of everything good to wear. I have no appreciation and joy for a holiday that does this every 25th of December to me.”

Surely you don’t feel that way!! Christmas is a wonderful time, a time to remember others and the Savior’s birth. Don’t you have family with which to celebrate the holiday?”

“Humbug all of it! Of what importance is the Savior? I believed once, but I know better now. My sister-in-law invited me to come over, but I said no. I cannot afford to spend one day away from the stores, especially after a day like today. Good day to you.”

Emma stormed off in a huff. She turned her feet towards home, when she heard….”Emmmmmaaaa!” Emma looked towards the bright lights of Broadway, yet she saw nothing. “Pull yourself together, girl. You haven’t eaten all day; you are hearing things, courtesy of your low blood sugar.” Yet Emma was still apprehensive; she didn’t usually hear things when she didn’t eat lunch…or breakfast.

She walked up the stairs towards her apartment. Facing her was the knocker, a usual knocker you understand. Yet when she glanced at it, she saw Julia’s face. It faded just as quickly as it came. Emma quickly opened the door, quickly locked it, quickly ran to her room, and quickly locked it too. She anxiously laughed.

“Perhaps my doctor is right; I can’t go without eating. I will put in a frozen dinner right now.” She did so and sat down to eat, with “What Not to Wear” playing in the background.

Scarcely had she settled in to the sofa when “Emmmmaaaa” was heard again. Then, appearing on screen, was Julie Matthews. Emma saw her yet refused to believe her eyes.

“Emma,” Julie said. “It is I, Julie, your friend and shopping partner for the past 5 years. I have come to warn you.”

“You are not Julie. I had a coroner and an undertaker take care of you yesterday.” Emma suddenly became defensive, though she knew not why. “I have not eaten all day until just now. You are a new health phenomenon I haven’t experienced.”

“Do not be ridiculous! You have never had these before. I am real and I have come to warn you. See this chain that is bound to me?”

“It is a lovely chain, Emma. The store bags from all your favorite stores. Did you design….”

Julie let out a yell. “This is not a lovely chain; it is a ponderous one. I did design it, though if I knew what I know now, I would not have. My life has been a failure and all because of this chain.”

“Oh, you were not a failure,” Emma said compassionately. “You gave everyone the best fashion guides around, especially with your lustrous brown hair and sense of style. You could have easily been a model. You made clothing your business, beauty your business.”

“I should have had love my business! Christianity my business! Modesty and sisterly concern my business! I did not, and I cannot erase that!! But you can…and I have come to warn you. Unless you want the unhappiness and tight chain and life I am doomed to wear…HEED ME!!!!”

Julie spoke with such vehemence that Emma could only heed. “Alright, alright!! What must I do?”

“You will be visited by three spirits. The first will come at 12 o’clock, the second at 1 o’ clock. The third will come I know not when, but it will come. Be prepared and change.”

With that, Julie faded from the TV screen, and Emma slumped into a faint. She awoke at twelve by the ding of her clock. She remembered Julie’s words. “Ah, it is midnight, and nothing has happened. I knew she was a figment of my imagination.”

However, she was wrong. The aforesaid spirit made her appearance.


To Be Continued.....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you borrowed this from Mr. Dickens, but you have quite an imagination to spin the story in a whole new way. I look forward to reading the next installment.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ella,
Since you ahem, are linked on other blogs, can we link you on our blog too, now???

:)

Anna Naomi said...

Wow! So cool, Ella! I look forward to reading the rest of the story!

Ella said...

Mom and Anna, I look forward to the rest of the story too...I haven't gotten that far yet. I hope Mr. Dickens won't mind my using it.

Erin, go ahead and link me. Since Mom reads comments from unknown names, I am safe!

Miriam N. said...

How interesting! I look forward to reading the rest of it.

Beverly said...

I can't wait for the rest! This is a great spin on The Christmas Carol.

Ella said...

Miriam and Mrs. Beverly, thank you very much for your loving comments. I am glad you like it!

Kaysie said...

Wow...what a neat and inspiring twist on the Christmas Carol. I enjoyed readig this and can't wait for the rest of the story! :)

Hope you have been doing good.
In Christ,
Kaysie

PS: I wanted to tell you that I have recently, by God's grace, created a new blog, and I would love for you to check it out! :)
www.inlovewithChrist.wordpress.com

Rachel said...

Fun story Ella, I am eagerly awaiting the next installment!