The story of Christ's crucifixion always brings tears to my eyes. I wasn't one of those that watched The Passion when it came out, but still, I can count on every viewing of Jesus of Nazareth to weep. Perhaps it is because I have gotten older, but every year, the significance of what my Lord and Savior did at Calvary becomes more and more meaningful.
Today I was reading my Bible the story of Good Friday as told by Matthew, Mark, and Luke. This verse in each of the books jumped off the page at me: "As they were on the way, they came across a man named Simon, who was from Cyrene, And they forced him to carry Jesus' cross." My name might just as well have been there instead of Simon's. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christ bore Golgotha and all its horrors, its pains, the mockery, the humiliation for ME! He died so that I might live with Him forever in Paradise. Jesus did not look forward to the pain ("My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken from Me! Yet not My will, but Yours be done.") but He followed through with it. I do not believe I would have, even for the sake of humanity. I do not chose pain; indeed, I struggle with petty things that pale in light of what Christ did.
When sunset comes and tomorrow breaks, we know the end of the "Easter story." However, I cannot begin to imagine what it was like for the disciples. They had walked with Christ; they knew that He was the Son of God. But aside from Lazarus, death was final to them. There was no "coming back from the after life." And besides, the one who had raised a dead man was now in the same state. Who was going to raise Him? Peter, James, John didn't have those special, God-given powers. I imagine that it was a time of lost hope and questioning for them. The world was dark without their Lord walking with them and talking to them.
We have so much to be thankful for, my sisters. Christ did not stay dead! The darkness is gone! This world, yes, is full of sin, strife, and looks hopeless. But with the conquering of the grave, their is a bright light, a Holy and Awesome one, at the end. But just as we can't experience spring without winter, the thanks we sing would not be as glorious if Calvary had not been experienced.
Thank you, Father, for taking what was mine. You are so good to me. I am a great sinner, but thanks to the cross, You are a great Savior and became mine. May I always count the cost of You sacrifice; may I never take it lightly. And may I always praise you, my Redeemer.
Friday, March 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











8 comments:
Happy Easter dear Ella!
We do have so much to thank God for!
We have a friend in Canada, she said that all of the stores were closed there today, because it's Good Friday. I can't even imagine that. Everyone here is out and about as usual collecting their meaningless Easter bunny candy.
It's so sad to know how few really know what this holiday means, what a sacrifice was made.
ttyl, love Jess
P.S. The Passion was a good movie, it was extremely violent though. We bought it, but only watched it once. It's not exactly what you would call a "movie night" movie. Had it not been as graphic, I don't think it would have made as much of an impression. We are living in a time where violence doesn't mean much anymore.
Thank you so much Ella for this reminder of our wonderful risen Savior and the work He accomplished on the cross for us.
May you and your family have a blessed Easter.
Megan
What a wonderful post, Ella. May we never take for granted Christ's incredible far-reaching sacrifice!
Glory to Him above! Thank you for your wonderful thoughts Ella.
Blessings,
Certain songs, such as Vio DoLorosa, Feel the Nails, and Watch the Lamb always cause me to weep as they prompt me to consider again the pain, shame, and horror that the Lord Jesus endured that I might be saved.
How I thank Him for his perfect, sinless, holy life. How I thank Him for giving himself for me.
Love,
Mom
Neesie, the same to you! Have a very happy Easter!
Jess, wow! I can't imagine people closing for Good Friday. Unfortunately, we don't live in the type of society anymore. No, I know enough of The Passion to know that it is not a movie night type of film.
Megan, Rachel, and Alice, you all are so right. We have much to remember!! Christ did a lot of Calvary.
Mom, for me, the song "On My Cross" by FFH brings tears to me. God is so good!
What a beautiful post! It is such a privilege to reflect on what our Savior did for us. I hope you had a blessed Easter, dear.
Post a Comment