Monday, March 17, 2008

Honor and Commitment

Honor--in my edition of Webster's Dictionary it is defined as "a keen sense of ethical conduct." It is a word that does not have much standing today; in many ways, it is a word of bygone days. No one lives by ethics and commitment anymore. "Whatever feels good, do it! " or "that's okay if you are in love with that woman but married to another: ditch your wife, after all, your feelings for each other pale in comparison to this new passion." can be just two of the ways that honor is thrown out the window.

This lack of trueness to purpose, commitment of spouses, etc. can be very difficult at times. If you are like me, it just gives one more reason for wanting the Regency Era back again :-) However, my family has found that honor did exist at one time---and believe it or not---in Hollywood, the location where you would least find it now.

Listed below are some movies my family and I have viewed (that are entirely decent) and present a manner of honor to the viewer. If you think one interests you, I would encourage you to check it out from the library. You will not be displeased. Also, I believe you will again come away with the "rebelutionary" feeling that by "doing hard things" (striving in just your small world and surroundings) we can bring honor back from the ashes and make it vibrant once more!

Casablanca--(Perhaps you have seen this one, or just have heard the famous line "play it Sam." Rick and Ilsa still are in love with each other after years apart, but Rick knows where Ilsa needs to go...and so does she.*)

The Country Girl--(In the quest to help her husband get rid of his alcoholism, Georgie and Bernie, who is also helping her husband, fall in love. Frank, the husband, realizes how miserable he has made Georgie and offers to let her go. But she knows where her place is and that is with her husband.*)

The Best Years of our Lives--(Coming home from WWII, a solider finds that his wife cares little for him...besides his uniform. In the midst of this, a young woman and a family friend helps the soldier get over his trauma and they fall in love. However, he will stay with his wife, but when his wife leaves him....well.....*)

Roman Holiday--(Okay, everyone knows this one, Princess Anne and Joe Bradley fall in love while she is incognito in Rome. But honor and duty prevail, and she returns to her job as princess.)

*The asterisk mean that there is one scene a piece where the two characters who aren't supposed to kiss, but watch the movie, and you will see how it all progresses to where it should be.

8 comments:

Beverly said...

I have to agree that these are excellent movies! I haven't seen The Country Girl, but I will see it ASAP now!

Anonymous said...

And not only is there a theme of honor and duty in these movies, you aren't subjected to nudity and bad language either. No wonder our "movie nights" find us watching all these old flicks.

Ella said...

Mrs. Beverly, definitely watch The Country Girl. I have grown to love Grace Kelly and to hear Bing sing....well, that isn't a hardship!

Mom, it is nice not having to have the bleeper on or the remote nearby!

Anonymous said...

I just watched Roman Holiday for the first time a couple days ago. I happened to turn the TV on right as it was starting. It's a very cute movie.

~Kelsey

http://setapart.wordpress.com

Anna Naomi said...

Thanks for reviewing these movies! I've only seen one, Casablanca so I'll be on the look-out for the others. It's always nice to hear of some good movies to watch!

Ella said...

Kelsey, yes, Roman Holiday is a darling movie. However, my brother enjoys it, so it isn't too girly for him!

Anna, I don't know which one to tell you to watch first. They are all good; it depends on what mood you are in.

Anonymous said...

It is a shame that they don't make movies like they use to. Most all of them today have to have something that has to push the envelope of what is moral and decent. The old movies are great and "movie nights" are fun. Yea, I have to confess though. Some can be sleepers and I have been caught by Ella to be bringing the curtain down (ie eyelids) before the end of the movie. Keep up the good reviews.

Ella said...

Yes, Dad, it does stink that new movies have to push the envelope as much as they do. I also love our movies nights! And thank you for your honest confession! =)