Wednesday, April 02, 2008

March's Reading List

I know I am little late in getting this out....Need to time my posts better, I guess! =) Anyway, here are little snipets of the books I read this month!

Hiroshima, by John Hersey--This was a very thought and question asking book. It followed the lives of six real life people during the bombings on Hiroshima. You discovered how their lives were immediately and lastingly affected by the atomic bomb. It also brought a lot of family discussion: "was the use of the atomic bomb justified?" I can only say I did not have to make the call to use it.

Journey to Topaz, by by Yoshiko Uchida--Again, this book brought about much discussion. It is the story of a Japanese American girl living in California. She and her family are taken to internment camps because the Government viewed all Asians as a threat to the country. Once again, I am glad that I did not have to make this call. It is sickening how one group of American citizens could do this to one another...and yet we do it in our own ways each and every day.

War, Peace, and All That Jazz--By Joy Hakim--This book was definitely not a favorite! I am not a textbook learner and from a liberal perspective at that! Yucky! I have come to determine that the 60's and 70's were some of the worst years in history. Period.

The Obstinate Land, by Harold Keith--I would never want to be a pioneer, but I have great respect for them. This book followed one fictional family going into Oklahoma territory to settle their own land....and all of the ups and many downs they experienced. What I liked most about this book was I found out what a "sooner" is.

The House of Sixty Fathers, by Meindert Dejong-- I finished this today, but I am counting it. This book takes place during the Japanese invasion of China and the story of a little boy who gets separated from his Chinese parents. I never really knew just how much Japan was of an aggressor, but through this book and many others I have read, I have learned. However, you cannot fault all Japanese just because of their Imperialistic and Fascist Government.

The House of the Seven Gables, by Nathaniel Hawthorne-- After reading The Scarlet Letter, I wanted to read more from the author. This book was very interesting, albeit confusing at times. It's about a family who believe the are cursed, but there isn't anything to it. I would definitely recommend it, though it isn't too lighthearted.

Love's Unfolding Dream, by Janette Oke-- Finally, a happy book! I don't like to get ahead of where the movies are, but I chose to this time. It was a nice and easy, feel good book in the midst of all the depressing material! Now, for the movie in May.....

Happy reading to you all! Books are wonderful, aren't they?!

8 comments:

Miriam N. said...

This is one place where you and I must disagree, Ella. =)
I very much dislike what has been done to the Love Comes Softly movies. They've reeked havoc on the books. After seeing the fourth movie, I had no wish to continue.

On the side, the books are wonderful!

Anna Naomi said...

Great reading! You read a lot this month! All I read off of your list is The House of Seven Gables and Love's Unfolding Dream. Is it exciting to be getting closer to the end in your history?

Anonymous said...

And because you have done such great book reports, I feel as though I have read many of these books too.

As you know, I love books about the pioneers and really wish I had been one. However, I think what I really like about the pioneers is the simplicity of their lives. No, it wasn't easy, but it was simple and uncomplicated, not the busy, overfilled lives we have today. But I don't think I would have enjoyed the isolation that was involved in that lifestyle.

And I just have to comment about Miriam's comment. It's funny, isn't it, that some people like a movie better than the book and others like the book better. I think it depends on which you knew first. If you watched the movie first and liked it, then when the book is different you like the movie better. However, if you've read the book first and then seen the movie and it doesn't match up, you prefer the book. And since I've never read the Love Comes Softly books, all I have is the movies to go by...and the first one is my favorite.

Love,
Mom

Ella said...

Miriam, how sad we are disagreeing =) I did enjoy the books I have read, but at times, I like the movie adaptions better on things. I know, I know....the book was there first....but I can't help it!

Anna, I am more glad to be getting done with the time period in history than anything. I would love to go back and read so much more Civil War stuff or something. But after I finish, government will be next.

Mom, you are so right. What you see or read first usually sways your opinion. Like I watched Love Comes Softly before I read it and consequently, I kept moaning about everything the book had wrong =)

Anonymous said...

Great reading and interesting thought provoking questions that come from those readings. I wish I had the love to read as much as you do. If you start early in life reading alot, it will carry with you for a long long time.

Ella said...

I do consider it a blessing, Dad, that I enjoy reading like I do!

Neesie said...

What a blessing it is to love to read. I don't. Hahaha..but I try very hard to enjoy it! If I find a really good and interesting book I may not be able to put it down, but that is very rare. :-)
Also, I never did comment on your last few posts...but I really enjoyed them!

Big Mistake said...

Is there something I'm suppose to be doing on your blog. Fixing something or adding something. I can't remember. Please help me! :)