Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Not What You Envisioned


I thought spring was to have been here on March 20th! While most have you have been experiencing green trees, flowers and new life, I am still in the throes of winter. Yes, our daffodils have come up, but the rest of the valley looks barren. This Sunday, I will watch the Masters and look with longing upon lushness and....greenness! I can feel like it is Narnia before Aslan defeats the White Witch; it is all winter and the thaw is not beginning. Indeed, we had a dusting of snow on our ground this morning! This year has not been the one weather-wise that I had envisioned.
My life has been like that. Even a year ago, if you had told me where I would be in life, I would have laughed in your face. I had a pretty clear picture (in my mind) of how life was going to be. I had envisioned getting off the roller coaster ride and just walking on the boardwalk for a while. But my God had other plans for me...just like He had different plans for 2008's weather.
We often talk about how winter shapes us into who we are; that as a result we appreciate the spring more. I have done it before. However, if I were to be completely honest, I would confess that the thought doesn't always "ring true." We might know that "there is a time for everything, a season for every activity under Heaven." We don't doubt that "God has plans for our future and hope." But even resting in that doesn't stop us from saying, "Okay, Lord, I didn't envision this. I am doubting right now. Help my unbelief."
This week, the first in my Bible study has been Romans 8:28. "For we know that ALL things work together for good for those who are called according to His purpose." God does have a purpose in the bad, the uncertain, the gloom, and yes, in the unexpected, not envisioned circumstances of our lives...and ALL of it is good. It is so hard to remember; tears will still fall and doubts will still come. I know, it has been the theme of my week...and I have fallen flat on my face.
However, I am trying to hold on to the truths in Scripture that bring encouragement. Why would they be in there if not to minister to me when I need it the most? He is bringing the rain, yes; the thunderstorm wasn't what your "map" had planned out. But I know (I have to believe it) that when we get to the end of our life and we see how the not envisioned events really turned into growing events, we would not have had the Lord change one thing for a minute! May you rest in the arms of our Heavenly Father this week! They are big enough to hold all of us!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ella,
I can truly relate to all you are saying, and I think you have such a beautiful spirit along with a sensitive heart to God's Spirit in His leading and teaching. It is very touching to see. Whatever He has planned for you to endure, you have accepted it gracefully, and that by His grace. :)
Thank you for opening up your heart for us to see and be encouraged.

Also, thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. :)

Megan said...

Hi Ella,
Isn't it wonderful to know that His "grace is sufficient" for us? It is such an encouragement to find those special verses in the Bible that speak of how tender our Lord is with us when the "winters" of life seem to not end.
Thank you for sharing!
Blessings,
~Megan~

Anna Naomi said...

I'm with you, Gabrielle! I keep having to remember that although it may not be what we envisioned, God has good plans. In the end, we'll see how He led us to what is best all along!

Hope spring comes to you soon!

Anonymous said...

I have been wondering if this is the year that spring WON'T come. I mean, here it is the 10th of April, and the trees are still completely barren and devoid of any greenness, any sign of life. But we know that even though it might look like spring won't happen this year (and it really does look that way!), it always does come. So, too, will the trials we are facing bud into something beautiful...one day.

Very lovely post!

Love,
Mom

Ella said...

Kaysie, oh don't think I always take this season gracefully. I sure don't. But God is good, and He see each tear I cray and He hears every single moan I utter, and I know He IS faithful!

Megan, I love that verse! Yes, His grace is sufficient....and I praise Him for it!

Anna, I totally agree. And right now, though we both are on different paths than we thought we would be, God is good.

Mom, you are so right. Spring will ultimately come both here in the valley and in our situation. Though right now, it doesn't seem so =)

Beverly said...

True - true - true! It is so hard sometimes when in the midst of everything to see the big picture. I'm so thankful for God's mercy and His providences as well. This was an excellent post - His mercies are new every morning. We are finally starting to see spring now, and I am so thankful!! Hope you are too.