Monday, May 05, 2008

A Rebelution Poster Child

If there was ever a poster child for The Rebelution and Do Hard Things, I know who it would be. Why don’t you take a guess…His name is mentioned in the book (though he isn’t alive now.) He lived over in the Old World and was the equivalent to a Senator _____ of today. I am talking about William Wilberforce.

Amazing Grace is one of my favorite movies. I was one who saw it opening week at the theatre; I pre-bought it (only to have to wait an additional six months for it to arrive.) It can be a typical Sunday night movie at our house. Well, when you have just finished Alex and Brett’s book, “hard things” and “character, collaboration, and competence” are going to jump out at you. Even though I have studied Wilberforce to a very small degree, my recent viewing of the film made me more conscious of this amazing man’s life.

William Wilberforce was the leading advocate in England for abolishing the salve trade. It was one of his life’s goals. And it certainly didn’t come easily to him! Twenty years went by before he saw the fruits of his labors pay off. He questioned, he doubted…was the effort and cause worth all the defeat?

It is hard to wait for something you really want or feel passionate about. When we were little, the presents under the trees were torturous! As we get older, we can wonder about marriage and that “special someone” that doesn’t seem to be arriving. Yet these things pale in comparison to wanting something heinous to end (like slavery, abortion, etc.) and nothing seems to be happening. Even when we have the “character” of wanting to see a God-appointed task through, the competence to do it (Wilberforce was a good public speaker and politician), and the collaboration of many people helping us, sometimes it takes more than just snapping your fingers. Anything that is good and worth accomplishing takes time….years if need be. But, oh, how hard it is NOT to give up!

It’s like two football teams in the Super Bowl or BCS National Championship. One has it all: the 17-0 record, the quarterback, the coach, a winning tradition…the other team is constantly under fire for even running “with the big dog.” Suppose they said, “Aw, let’s go home. There is no chance of us winning—no one expects it anyway.” If certain teams I know of took that attitude, the sports annals would not have some amazing games in its archives. So, what if William Wilberforce had said, “my foes are against me. I have kept this up for so many years and I am not getting anywhere. Let someone else take up the fight—I am tired….” William would not be as praised if he had that attitude.

The world loves underdog stories. God does too. Gideon had far less soldiers than his foes; David was a shrimp compared to the giant Goliath. But neither of them abandoned the job God had for them to do. Wilberforce didn’t either and nor can I. We do have odds in our favor; countless people have had to fight and they have won.

William Wilberforce knew “Do Hard Things” very well. And actually, if it had been “Do Easy Things,” his story wouldn’t have been as inspiring. We should take that to heart. Hard is good…it gives God LOTS of room to show His awesome glory and power…but we cannot give up! Press on!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post!!

I, too, love the movie Amazing Grace. It always brings me to tears as I reflect on the life of William Wilberforce, who persevered even though the tide was against him politically. One man really can make a difference.

Love,
Mom

Alice said...

Good post, Ella! Thanks for taking the time to write it!

Oh, and did you just make a sports analogy?! ;-)

Ella said...

Mom, yes, one man can make an amazing difference in the world. Though Wilbur didn't do it all alone, he certainly must have felt that way in Parliament sometimes.

Alice, yes, I did a sports analogy. Believe it or not, I was thinking of this year's super bowl and the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. I know, it is surprising for me!

Neesie said...

I love Amazing Grace as well. It was a really good movie, and I was able to learn more about William Wilberforce. Nice post.

I tagged you on my blog, but I forgot to tell you! No pressure to do it, but it is there when and if you want it.

Have a good week!

Ella said...

Neesie, it was nice to see you on here. I haven't been able to be on your blog; my computer has been acting up!

I love Amazing Grace; it is definitely a favorite.

Beverly said...

I love that movie too. I actually didn't get to see it until about a month ago, and it was heart wrenching but wonderfully thought provoking.

Anonymous said...

Ella, this was a great, great post. You said what I have been thinking about lately... about doing hard things and persevering in them. Thanks for your encouragement!

Kaysie