Monday, June 02, 2008

May's Reading List

Well, here is my list of the books I read in May. Perhaps you will find one you have never read before!

When God Writes Your Loves Story, by Eric and Leslie Ludy~~My dear friends, Anna and Miriam, both read this last month. I thought to check my library, and they did have a copy! I loved every thing I read. You can never read too many books of that sort. It was such an encouragement to me. Though it might not be in my time table, the Lord does have an amazing story for me. Now, I plan to own the book!

Shades of Gray, by Carolyn Reeder~~The Civil War is probably one of my favorite times in history to read about. This book just fits right in. I won't give the whole plot line away. It is about a family--a boy whose whole family died in part of the Yankees and of an uncle who fought for neither side.

Ten Tales From Shakespeare, by Charles and Mary Lamb~~Most epople are supposed to like Shakespeare. I have wanted to try to read one of his works for a long time, but I didn't want to start off with more than I could chew. (Many people had discouraged that.) So, I got this book. It contains the story in condensed form with normal language (though actual words are used in places.) I didn't read all of the titles; MacBeth and Hamlet didn't intrigue me. But I am willing to give William another try!

Farewell to Manzanar, by Jeanne Wakasuki Houston~~I have had to study a lot about the Japanese internments camps. This was an actual account. It showed just how hard it was for these people and how when it came time for them to be "reentered" into the world, they were scared and afraid.

America and Vietnam, by Albert Marrin~~This was not one of my favorite books, but I will admit that it made me think a lot. Now I feel that I can give an opinion on some of the things that happened over there. Regardless if you find Vietnam to be right or wrong, it is good to know about it--and how the American soldiers were wrongly treated by their own.

The Vietnam War; How the U.S. became Involved, by Mitch Yamasaki~~This one was also required reading, but I could easily have dropped it. The previous title was better, less boring, and covered the same material.

The Welfare State, by Clarence B. Carson~~Once again, this book wasn't fun, but it was informative. I got to learn A LOT about our currency, how our country has become more socialistic, etc. Though it was hard to get through, I am glad that I did.

4 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

Great job finishing so many books for school! It can be hard to read ones that don't interest you as much, but good job for plugging through!

Yes, When God Writes Your Love Story is beautiful, isn't it? I'm glad you were able to read it!

Ella said...

Anna, it was difficult at times, though! Yes, When God Writes Your Love Story was beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Those final three books, the Vietnam ones and the Welfare State, really were eye-opening, weren't they? I think it is despicable how the Vietnam vets were treated upon their return. And that welfare state book...why do people think that more government programs is a good thing? don't they understand that TANSTAAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch). Those social programs aren't free. They cost us dearly...in the form of higher taxes and diminished personal freedom. Why, oh, why, can't people understand that?

Ella said...

Yes, Mom, my final books were very eye-opening. They made me think about a lot of things! I agree with everything you said!!