Okay, I am working on a million things right now. I have started a nature study/photography blog, where I post pictures of my nature walks......so I getting that all geared up. I am in the process of writing two articles for this blog (or rather, I will be this afternoon.) But then I remembered that back at the beginning of September, I didn't do August's reading list!! I was so busy with graduation posts. So, here you go....the books I read in both August and September!!
Jerusalem Interlude, by Bodie Thoene--Back in July, I was reading a lot of the Zion Covenant Series; I was on book three. Well, Jerusalem Interlude is book 4. I think it was my least favorite of the ones I have read, but that doesn't mean it was bad. My favorite characters were absent in this one that's all.
Danzig Passage, by Bodie Thoene--This is book 5 and it is so action packed from beginning to end!! As is customary with the series, you are introduced to a new entourage of characters....and you grow to love (or despise) them as much as the ones already in the story. A warning with this one: one of the characters has been "carrying on" with a Nazi, thinking that he loved her. Nothing is described, and it is a fact in history that soldiers would do anything to increase the Aryan race (and they didn't care how it was done.)
Warsaw Requiem, by Bodie Thoene--Book 6....and I thought it was the end (but more on that in a minute) This one has you even more on the edge of your seat than Book 5!!! It is SO good! The Nazi soldier mentioned above is violent in this, but what can you expect? I cannot tell you much; the series is worth your reading. All I will say is that you won't put it down easily!
London Refrain, by Bodie Thoene---I thought Warsaw Requiem was the end of the Zion Covenant Series. I was disappointed and I felt that loose ends weren't tied up. So, you can imagine how happy I was when I discovered there were books 7, 8, and 9!! London Refrain is book 7 and picks up right where 6 left off. There are new characters too!
The Pemberley Chronicles, by Rebecca Ann Collins--Every girl loves Pride and Prejudice. Who could help it? But if you are like me, you wish there was more to the story. Current authors have tried to do "sequels," but they have added raunchy elements that Jane Austen would faint at. (I only know that through what I have heard) Well, Rebecca Ann Collins has created a series that is written just like Jane Austen! The books were originally published in Australia, but now an America publisher is putting them out. I had to request The Pemberley Chronicles from my library (and get it all the way from Brooklyn, New York =) but it was well worth it. It follows the lives of Jane Austen's creations through marriage, having children, experiencing deaths.....by the end of this Book 1, Darcy and Elizabeth have been married 25 years!! I encourage any Jane Austen lover to get this. (I have book 2, newly arrived from St. Cloud Minnesota, waiting for me!)
Persuasion, by Jane Austen--This was the last Jane Austen novel I had to read. I did enjoy it, though I found myself picturing the people from the Masterpiece Theatre in the parts! Now, I need to go back and read all of the novels again!
Quest for the High Places, by Natalie Nyquist--Natalie is a writer over at YLCF and has been a great encouragement to me. My dear friend, Anna, sent me this book a while ago, and I just now read it. It was such an encouragement as well. I recommend it to anyone who is waiting for something--marriage, life to settle down, etc. Quest inspired me to read Hinds Feet on High Places, which is on my nightstand.
Shades of Earl Grey, by Laura Childs--I love mysteries. They are some of my favorite movies and books. When I was in my early teens, I lived on Nancy Drew. But as I have gotten older, I want something different. Shades of Earl Grey is book 3 in the Tea Shop Mystery Series. (You don't have to read them in order.) The books take place in Charlestown, South Carolina; the heroine runs a tea room. I love tea, so I am in my element. What I also love is that there are recipes in the back of each novel. Now, you should use your own discretion (since one or two of the books might be not the greatest) but I can definitely recommend this one! And if you just want the recipes, go for it!!
Okay, so I read a lot of fiction. I had a lot of difficult, serious reads looking at me later on....so I wanted some fun! Each one was really good and I felt like it was time well spent!
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











9 comments:
I have a nature blog too...only I haven't worked on it a couple weeks. I'm gonna get to that now that you have reminded. me
Oh, my link is fixed and goes to my photography page. If you are interested.
That's quite a list! The Pemberley Chronicles sounds neat - I'm going to add that to my "To-Read" list. Thanks for letting us know about it!
And my reading list for those months...Country and Homeschooling Today magazines....and a little bit of Old Fashioned Girl (let's get that one finished!).
Love,
Mom
Hi Ella,
I love Fiction too!
The Pemberly chronicles sounds wonderful...I will definitely have to check that out! I'm an avid Jane Austen fan and Pride and Prejudice is my favorite of her novels!! :) Thanks for letting us know about all these books! :)
Julia
Neat list, Ella!
I just tagged you on my blog!
Glad you're enjoying the Zion Covenant Series! Now I really want to read the rest of the series - I think we have up to book 7. The Zion Chronicles are good too, using many of the same characters.
Glad you enjoyed Quest for the High Places - it's such an encouraging and challenging book!
The Pemberly Chronicles sound good! I should try to find them...
Thanks for sharing! You read quite a lot this month!
Amanda, I highly recommend the Pemberley Chronicles! To the avid Jane Austen fan, it is so fun to have your favorite characters continued!
Mom, reading magazines is good. And yes, we need to finish An Old-Fashioned Girl!
Julia, hopefully your library will have the books. My library just got them--or the first two!
Jasmine, I will check the tag out!
Hehe! Ella, I just noticed I tagged you too... sorry about that. Well, I guess you can say that Jasmine and I tagged you. :)
~Madison
P.S. I absolutely adore the book An Old-Fashioned Girl. It's one of my all-time favorites.
Hi! I’m new to the blogging world and I ran into your blog through Jasmine’s. I noticed that you just finished reading several books in the Zion Covenant series. I just finished reading these this year as well! I enjoyed them a lot and it really made me more interested in World War II history. I also just finished reading the sequel series to the Zion Covenant--the Zion Chronicles. They were also pretty good, but I didn’t enjoy them as much as the Covenant books. I’ll probably get to the third part in the near future--the Zion Legacy. I needed a break though. :-)
Anyway, just wanted to let you know I enjoyed reading through your book lists and look forward to perusing your blog in the future.
Have a great day!
Fellow book lover,
Amanda
Post a Comment