Feminism—it’s a word that has been tossed around a lot the past few weeks and months, especially in the political realm. The beginning of the year found many Christians discussing the radical feminism of Hilary Clinton. Everything under the sun was brought to the light: her pro-choice record, her stances on obvious women superiority, the governmental control in EVERY area of life, the lack of femininity in her wardrobe. But by summer, Senator Clinton was out of the running for the Presidency and all talk was stilled. That is, until Sarah Palin stepped onto the scene.
Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton are two very different women. Sarah Palin is a stanch pro-life supporter; she is for minimal government in matters of guns and healthcare. Governor Palin dresses in skirts. However, according to several dear people I respect, Sarah has been deemed a feminist. Indeed, she has been called a “feminist for life (unborn lives.”)
Now, I do agree with the general consensus of those I admire. Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton are both in favor of throwing the shackles off…which isn’t right. They think that they can manage both a household and a high-profile career…and usually one suffers, so I will take the former over the latter. Granted, one is more “conservative” than the other. But I have a news-flash for you: Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton have the same core….and so do we.
Conservative Christians don’t like to admit it, but there are elements of feminism in all of us. Okay, so we might not be out there getting a career. But what about our constant voicing of opinions? Or our independent streaks? What about our “me-first mentality?” Each of these things shows our feminism.
Perhaps you all feel as I do sometimes. I read certain books that talk about not being feminist and how that is wrong…..and then I screw up by making a decision independent of counsel or something. I can feel so inferior, like I am all of a sudden this radical feminist who no longer desires femininity and Biblical womanhood! Do any of you ever feel like that? Sadly, these feelings are made more prevalent than we think, probably because of all the writings out there. They are so good—yet still discouraging!
There is a fine line between being an individual and yet being a servant; we are to be submissive, yes, but not stifled—or at least I don’t think so. I am extremely blessed that in my family, Mom and Dad want me to make decisions…but I never make one without getting the opinion of one or both of my parents first. I have freedom and independence, yet there are safeguards. (Mom and Dad let me have my own e-mail address, but I can never check it without their logging me on to the computer. They also know full well who I e-mail and for the most part, they know what the letters contain because I tell them.) The Lord created women with a mind of their own, so I feel they are to have some of their own thoughts—and provided they don’t do it all the time, I feel they can share them too.
I struggle with not having my feminism pop up more than it should. I far too often voice my own opinions (though I am learning when I should just turn the mouth off.) I do get impatient when waiting for Garrett or Dad to open the door at restaurants. I am far from perfect, so don’t ever think you’re alone in that way!
Honestly, I feel bad for Sarah Palin. Don’t think that I excuse her actions ( I wish she were more of a wife and mother than a politician.) But I think some of the treatment and words about her are unfair. The Lord says that he who is without sin should cast the first stone. I cannot get down in the mouth about her being a feminist (albeit a less radical of one than others I have seen) when I struggle with being a feminist too.
Let’s all try to figure out where feminism rears its ugly head in our lives and try to remove it—yet still be an individual, not a stifled robot, at the same time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











7 comments:
Very well said. I so agree that we all have a tendency to be feminist. When I am in a group and I talk more than my husband does (especially about political matters) I am exhibiting a superiority of sorts over him. When I get irritated that my husband doesn't "do his share" around the house, I am falling prey to the same philosophy that is rampant in our society today...namely that marriage is a 50/50 arrangement and that he NEEDS to help me out. When I interrupt my husband when he's talking...or when I fail to listen to him...both of those ways show clearly that I think my ideas are more important than his. And on and on it goes. Yes, indeed, we may not call ourselves feminists and we may not like to admit that we have feminist tendencies, but I believe that all women struggle with this. It's just that others (like Senator Clinton for example) are more "in your face" about it than we are. But subtle feminism is equally as ugly as radical feminism.
Love,
Mom
Oh, another thing I was thinking. Subtle feminism is rampant in our churches today as well. I'm sure most Christian churches would consider themselves anti-feminist. And yet the message that they subtly send is one of feminism. It is targeted at the stay at home moms. These moms (like myself) have rejected the idea of a career,choosing instead to raise a family, but the message that comes from their church is "Raising a family really isn't that important. Come on out to the church, do all the Bible studies, take on a bunch of ministries. Then you'll really be doing something great for God." The church doesn't really believe that wifehood and motherhood is important. The young moms are encouraged to do "great things for God" by doing something more important than "just taking care of children and home." And that is the same message that comes out of the radical feminist mouths---"go get a career, climb the corporate ladder, so you can leave your mark on this world."
Love,
Mom
You have written beautifully, Gabrielle, and have so truly pointed out the feminist tendencies in us all. We all need to focus on our relationship with God foremost, and be careful about judging others we don't know too much about.
Mom, yes, subtle feminism is taught in the churches--though they would deny that they are doing so. But each kind of feminism (radical or subtle) is ugly.
Anna, you are so right. We need to be cautious about judging those we don't know much about!
This was a very good post! You're completely right about us all having a tendency to be "me-first" and feministic in our thinking.
Great Post, Ella!
Julia
Ella, that was a great post! I found it convicting, but also inspiring. I too find within myself a feminist root that will raise it's ugly head in my life. God's grace is smoothing out these sharp faults, thankfully. But it will be a lifelong process. :)
Thank you for your encouragement.
Kaysie
Ella, that was a great post! I found it convicting, but also inspiring. I too find within myself a feminist root that will raise it's ugly head in my life. God's grace is smoothing out these sharp faults, thankfully. But it will be a lifelong process. :)
Thank you for your encouragement.
Kaysie
Post a Comment