Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Antonio Vivaldi's "Four Seasons...." and My Backyard


In order to achieve the full effect, click on this link. Hopefully, y'all have Windows Media Player on your computers, so you can minimize the song and listen to it as you read what I have to say.


Currently in my musical appreciation study, I am on the life of Antonio Vivaldi. Not much is known about the early Baroque composers, yet Vivaldi's legacy has been preserved in his well known concerto "The Four Seasons." It's familiar to all of us--albeit certain movements more so than others.Right now, the weather here is like Vivaldi's Largo Movement from "Autumn." For those of you not familiar with music terminology, largo means "slow." Even slower than andante....which is usually the slowest I play.As I listened to the recording upstairs, I thought of my backyard. I could just picture leaves falling down, the world slowly down, everything getting situated for a transition period. Photosynthesis is no longer being produced; winter is about to settle on the land.Life for me has been one of transition this year. I am thankful it doesn't happen nearly as often as it does in Creation. Some days, I can feel just like the "Largo Movement:" slowly getting ready for the changes ahead. Graduation was only one of them. They are all good, though.Yet, Vivaldi's compostion is more than just "Autumn." "Spring"is probably the most well known of the entire piece. My back yard is more than brown leaves and barren trees. My life is more than transition and waiting. But they all have their place. There is something to be loved and found in each of them.

Hopefully, you enjoy listening to the movement. Why don't you listen to the whole concerto when you get a chance?! =)

2 comments:

Julia said...

That's beautiful! :) I like the pictures, Ella!!

I'd actually neer heard the "Largo" movement... It's very peaceful.

Julia

Unknown said...

I love Vivaldi's Four Seasons! What delightful music. :) We have a CD that has the whole thing on it.
By the way *grins an evil, menacing grin* I have tagged you! :P

~Madison