Saturday, November 29, 2008

Movies--Week 2

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Today, I am thankful for my brother. It is Garrett's 17th birthday!! Since I have done so much already about him, I thought I would turn my movie post into something that "honors" him. (But don't worry, musicals will be back in January--Christmas movies are on the docket next)

His favorite sport is baseball. He is barely getting by right now; he is counting down the days until spring training. So, I am posting some classic movies about baseball. Maybe you all will like them, maybe you won't. All I know is that Garrett does =) If you have a sports loving brother, you can get him to watch these with you:


Pride of the Yankees--starring Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright--Being a MAJOR Red Sox fan, Garrett does not like the Yankees. But he does like Lou Gerhig. Gary Cooper was nominated (but did now win) the Best Actor award for his portrayal of this ball player. He has an amazing story (Gerhig does) and as you know, he has an "illness" that bears his name now. I do get teary-eyed in the scene where he gives the famous speech.


The Sratton Story--starring James Stewart and June Allyson--Okay, Lou Gerhig is a common name in baseball. Monty Stratton is not. But he also has a tremendous story. Stewart plays Stratton, who is a a very good baseball player, but then...he has to cope with losing a leg to amputation. It is very inspiring. And in both of these movies, you see what a role a wife can play when she supports her husband.


The Winning Team--starring Doris Day and Ronald Reagan--I love this movie for the cast. Doris Day is my favorite and Reagan is my favorite president. Reagan plays Grover Cleveland Alexander (who was also a real athlete, but I didn't know of him either) His story revolves around a mysterious injury he has to cope with, the fallout that happens, and the wife who sticks with him.


Angels in the Outfield--starring Paul Douglas and Janet Leigh--Up until recently, we had only watched the 90's remake. But I like this old version a whole lot better. You might know the story: a baseball team stinks, "angels" help them out, and families are created. The emotional element is very sweet in this movie. And it is funny too!!

Okay, so I didn't say much about these flicks. But that doesn't mean I don't think they are bad. I like them. If you have seen any of them, let me know! And nothing is wrong in any of them!

Happy Birthday, Garrett!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen/heard of everything but The Winning Team. I saw about the last forty-five minutes of "The Pride of the Yankees" and started crying. :) My little brother loves sports and enjoys movies like Good News, Take Me Out to the Ballgame so I'll have to see if my library has one of these. :) Great post!

Sara said...

I'll have to watch these with my younger brother, Matt. Baseball is his favorite sport too. I hope your brother had a wonderful birthday! It's so sweet that you both are so close. Unfortunately, not many brothers and sisters are like that today.

Neesie said...

I have seen two out of four of those. This baseball loving family realy enjoys the movie called The Rookie. If you haven't seen it, I would suggest it. :-)

Happy Birthday Garret!

Anonymous said...

Cool! I have also been counting down to the start of spring training, and I can't STAND it when there is no baseball to watch!

Thanks so much for posting about thise movies-I will definitely look into The Stratton Story.

Angels in the Outfield was pretty funny....I forgot all about that one...:)

~Shannon

Julia said...

Those sound like neat movies! :) And Happy Birthday to your brother. :D

Blessings!
Julia

Patti said...

You know me. I like ALL these movies. They are all very inspiring stories of men who overcame great trials.

Today's professional athletes whine about everything...maybe they don't like their team...or they want more money...or they don't like their teammates. But Lou Gehrig really had something to whine about..a painful, terminal disease. And yet he didn't whine. He considered himself "the luckiest man alive." We need more men like him in this world.

And a note to Neesie, we really like The Rookie too. It also is very inspiring. But we had watched it SO MUCH that we needed to find some other baseball movies.

Love,
Mom

Ella said...

Meghan, if you can get your hands on The Winning Team, I would watch it. But then again, I am a big Doris Day fan....and a proud Republican =)

Sara, Garrett and I have our moments, but we try to not kill each other when we are ticked =)

Neesie, we have watched "The Rookie" several times. We own it in fact. It's good.

Shannon, you sound like my brother when it comes to baseball. As for me, I am bummed that college football is wrapping up

Julia, my brother had a very nice birthday.

Mom, athletes aren't like they were then....which stinks. But sadly, there isn't anything we can do about it.