Meanwhile, Saul was uttering threats with every breath. He was eager to destory the Lord's followers, so he went to the high priest. He requested letters addressed to the synagogues in Damascus, asking their cooperation in the arrest of any followers of the Way he found there. He wanted to bring them--both men and women--back to Jerusalem in chains.
As he was nearing Damascus on this mission, a brilliant light from heaven suddenly beamed down upon him! He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul! Saul! Why are you persecuting me?"...........
Saul stayed with the believers in Damascus for a few days. And immediately he began preaching about Jesus in the synagogues saying, "He is indeed the Son of God!"
All who heard him were amazed. "Isn't this the same man who persecuted Jesus' followers with such devastation in Jerusalem?" they asked. "And we understand that he came here to arrest them and take them in chains to the leading priests."
Saul's preaching became more and more powerful and the Jews in Damascus couldn't refute his proofs that Jesus was indeed the Messiah.~Acts 9:1-4, 19-22
To the early Christians, Saul of Tarsus certainly looked like the greatest villian of all time. Just as Barack Obama appears to us today. But to the Lord, Saul was a soul worth saving; his reputation didn't stand in God's way. Consequently, Saul became Paul, one of our Christian patriarchs who endured much for the sake of the Father he once condemned.
Who are we to say that the Lord cannot do the same to President-Elect Obama? Sure it looks impossible to our fleshly nature that Obama can change. His reputation precedes him. But I am not going to put the Lord in a box. For all I know, the Lord's plan before the beginning of time could have been to RADICALLY change Obama's heart and have him at the helm of this nation. That Obama would end up doing what he could to reverse Roe vs. Wade, defining marriage, etc. I don't know, but I am praying towards those ends.
I would encourage you to be praying for Barack Obama as he enters 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. The Lord has given the United States him for a reason, so we had better stop griping and moaning about it. With God, ALL THINGS, even changing a seemingly unchangeable man, IS possible.











6 comments:
A hearty AMEN!! Beautifully said.
My thoughts on Tuesday night and into Wednesday, like yours, were gloomy and fearful. And then yesterday the Lord filled me with peace and the same image of Saul of Tarsus surrendering his life to Christ came to my mind. Our God can indeed do what seems impossible.
As we Bible-believing Christians do what God told us---pray---we may yet see this man change in just as a dramatic way. Wouldn't that be amazing!
I'm actually thinking that I need to take the NOBAMA bumper sticker off my car, as I don't want to be disrespectful towards the one whom God appointed to lead us.
Great reminder that we serve a God of miracles!
Love,
Mom
Amen amen amen and amen!! What wonderful points Ella! :) I have been praying for Obama some... although not as much as I should. But I believe God can change Obama's heart, and I really hope He does.
And I do agree with you; I have been thinking the same thing: God is putting Obama in the White House for a reason, I'm not sure why, but God did put him there, and we should remember that.
~Madison
I've tagged you!!
Ella, I have been convicted over not praying for Obama as I should. A friend and I were discussing this the other day, and I resolved that I would be consistent in prayerfully supporting our new president. I want the next four years to be successful for this country. And, above all, I want God to be glorified through Obama's life and presidency.
Kaysie
Kaysie, my flesh doesn't want to pray for Obama as I should. You know, it can appear like a hopeless cause. But then, I have to remind myself "God IS the God of the impossible!" And I would love to see him do that!
Very good post, Ella. Very well said. I have to admit that my heart was indeed saddened on election night as we watched the results. But we have a great God who can do anything and we are not to have a spirit of fear. So therefore I am praying right along with you!!
Post a Comment