I'll be posting on Thanksgiving about all that I have to be thankful for.....which is a lot. But today, my mind is thinking of all that will go into the day. Garrett and I are convincing Mom that it is better to go grocery shooping today, since the stores will be CRAZY tomorrow afternoon! My mouth is watering from all of the foods we'll be eating. I thought I would take a few minutes and give y'all a glimpse into my home on Thanksgiving Day.
Up until we moved here in 2000, we spent every Thanksgiving with Nana and PopPop (my dad's parents.) I have many fond memories of setting the table; that was MY job. Bot now, it is too far to go to Florida--and Nana has a little difficulty flying. We miss them more than ever this year, but we are still maintaining some of the traditions we do every year.
We eat the same breakfast every year: Dutch Boy pancake. Maybe I should post the recipe some time; it's really good. We eat as we discuss what we have been most thankful for. Then, we go downstairs and watch the Macy's parade.
I don't think there has been one year that I have missed it. I do turn off some of the dances--the Radio City Rockettes in particular =) Then, we watch the dog show....and root for the beagle every time.
Now, we don't really watch football on Thanksgiving. Perhaps we used to, but I can't quite remember. Dad is usually thumbing through the paper and Mom and I are busy cooking. Besides, this year, the teams who play stink =)
Food....who can't love it?! If given the choice, I would eat the sides and THEN the turkey. I am the mashed potatoes queen!! And I just love green bean casserole. Mom makes a corn pudding that is SO good and she makes the best pumpkin pie. I could get hungry just thinking about it. For me, Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the trimmings. This year, we're going to have a family we know over to share our meal with us.
Black Friday. I have only participated once--in 2001 at the mall around 10:00. I will never do that again!! But believe it or not, Garrett and Dad go every year. Not necessarily to the mall. They go to Best Buy, Office Max, Wal-Mart, places like that. They get up at a ridiculous hour and battle the crowds. THEY get the pleasure of getting my MP3 player =)
So, what about you all? What are Thanksgiving traditions you have? What are your plans? What is your favorite thing to eat? And do any of you go shopping on Black Friday. I would enjoy hearing!
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











7 comments:
Thanksgiving is, hands-down, my very favorite holiday. I absolutely love it!!
The older I get, the more I want to be with family at Thanksgiving. I hope that next year we can be with Nana and PopPop (along with a new little one to introduce them to!).
I do not remember going to the mall in 2001. Did you go with me? Or was it Daddy? I only remember doing that craziness back in Florida in about 1997 or 1998. I quickly realized that it definitely isn't for me. I get claustrophobic in crowds. Now, I'd rather sleep in.
Love,
Mom
I can't wait to go HOME for Thanksgiving!
I'm looking forward to cooking all morning, making tons of yummy food, and eating with family. We also usually play a lot of games on the day, while things cook and after the meal when we're all full, and often we go for a walk as well to enjoy the crisp air.
Hi Ella! I enjoyed this post very much!!
I always watch the Macy's Day Parade too. :) It's very fun to watch, even though the first hour is just a bunch of people talking about their cheesy new shows, as my mom always says. :P
I love mashed potatoes too! Actually I love anything potatoes. :P Last year we had mashed sweet potatoes... although that may have been on Christmas. :)
I have gone out in the afternoon on the day after Thanksgiving, but never in the morning.
This year we will be spending Thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family. Although there will be several people there I don't know... so I'm not looking forward to it much. :P
But I must say, I'm not a huge fan of turkey. How strange. :P
Fun post!
~Madison
Ella, thank you SO much for your prayers. You are so sweet...I have definitely needed those every one of them!!
Usually every year my mom makes a special breakfast (either waffles or pancakes with eggs on the side), and we watch the parade. And yes, I will turn it off when they have weird singers/performances. Every year we go to my grandma's for Thanksgiving, and my grandma always serves shrimp before the main meal, and it is SOOO good. =) I love my mom's sweet potatoes with marshmellows on top, and her turkey is always delicious too. Maybe I'm just a little bit biased though. =D
As for Black Friday, on the way home from my grandma's house last year, we stopped by the outlets for their midnight madness sale. I will NEVER attempt to do ANY Black Friday shopping ever again after going through that mania!!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Ella!
Oh I love Thanksgiving! One special tradition is my mom makes a Cranberry mold salad. My Great-grandmother always made it every Thanksgiving and Mom has kept the tradition going. We usually always watch the Thanksgiving day parade, I love the pretty floats they ride in.
Hmmm, let's see Black Friday. Well Mom and I usually go to Joann Fabrics and catch all the great deals, but we STILL have a bunch of fabric and stuff left over from last year lol. So we are going to Wal-mart at 4:30 in the morning and catch those good deals.
I hope you have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!!! :)
*Hugs*
I hope your thanksgiving is good! I've been home since last friday and I'm already ready to go back lol.
Hi Ella!
I love Thanksgiving! But I too, never shop on black friday. Ugh.. I just am not a big fan of crowds. I get it from my dad. :D Your dad and Garret go shopping every black friday? That's funny! :)
You have been "encouraged" to participate in a tag that I am doing on my blog. You do not have to. But if you want to I encourage you to do so. :) I really liked it... it's not a mindless tag.
Blessings!
Julia
Post a Comment